1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Severe Cold... please help!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Cutepavi, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hi every body,
    My 4.5 month old Son is having severe cold. Hes been having mild nose congestion and rare cough sometimes for the past 2 weeks. But suddenly yesterday, the congestion has become bad.. I have been having a bad cough and cold too.. May be that is the reason it got worse for him. I cannot help but blame myself. My husband and mom are also blaming me for not taking care of the baby. I feel like a terrible parent.

Is there any home remedy for this? Could this be some allergy? Since i started cereal for him 2 weeks back... There are no rashes or any other symptoms..

His nose is blocked.. but i do not see any mucous inside his nose... He is not able to swallow as i guess the mucous is in his throat... The doc keep asking me to bulb syringe the back of his throat.. But i am a little scared to do this.

Friends, Please help me with this.. I need to know if anyone has faced such situation and if so what i can do for him now.

Thanks in Adv!

2. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi pavi,

Please don't blame yourself. Babies fall sick sometimes or the other and you are not responsible for that unless you did something that directly led to the sickness.

Do you stay at a place where people are prone to allergies? If that is the case, it could be because of that. The bulb syringe really works and helps the baby feed and sleep well. Since , allergies and asthma is a common thing where I stay, I keep a neubulizer at home and use it just with saline . It helps to de-congest if it is very severe. Otherwise, just the bulb syringe is enough.

Also, stop the cereals (Especially if it is wheat) for a while and see if it makes a difference. You can wait till the baby is 6 months old to start it. Or else just use safe foods like apply sauce, mashed rice etc till he is older.

regards,