1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby reluctant to Breast Feed

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Tianna, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Tianna

Tianna Senior IL'ite

I have started supplement food for my DD who has completed 6 months.. As per Pediatrician's advice I have introduced Cereals, Veg. Soups... Thank God she likes it.. The main problem is that she never feeds on BF during daytime even when forced.. .. Meanwhile I need to pump out to clear the blocked ducts..

Is this a normal change in baby's appetite ? Or I'm over concerned ?

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Tianna,

Now that you have already introduced semi solids, stick to a timetable as mentioned by the paed. I have a timetable i.e 8 am, 1 pm, 4 pm, 8 pm. In between these I can BF/ formula. Since I am working, I do not face this situation. Also if you could mention the medium you are using to supplement her? Most bottlefed babies have the nipple confusion and give up BM completely.

My DD takes BF even in the morning when I am at home. I still make it a point to follow the schedule even on weekends and supplement the semi solids.

Lets hear from other IL's too

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Tianna, could you tell us how often you give solids. At that age one feed a day is good... Do you work from home/out of home... Is there a separation from the baby at any point? Do you give solids before or after you bf... The recommendation from WHO is that breast is offered 30 min to 1 hr before you give solids. In the first year, solids should be only for taste and bulk of the nutrition should be from breastmilk or formula. In short, it does not look normal to me...
    on introducing solids, do take a look at
    wholesomebabyfoods.com
    mother2mother.com
    Hope that helps.

4. shobatharun

shobatharun Senior IL'ite

if you have started to give solid food dont force her to BF...then about the pain...you should stop feeding the baby...this was told by my mommy...fill the bra cup with cabbage ( peel the cabbage and keep it in the bra)...this will stop milk secretion...you can alos fill the cabbage with jasmine (PATTI VAIDHIYAM)

5. Tianna

Tianna Senior IL'ite

Thanks Lee50, Tikka, Shobatharun for dropping in with your inputs..

Compiling my answer in a single post...

To start with, I'm at home. Earlier it was a two hours gap between BF..
    I started giving her veg. soup only once at 10am 30-40ml, everything was fine with BF then.. One week later with Cerelac, one scoop at 2pm in a liquid form.. After that she disliked having BM... She tasted and turned her face away.. I was worried that she may starve so pumped BM & fed her with spoon, She was enjoying it... My mother objected about spoon feeding ... To urge her BM intake I have stopped giving Cerlac from yesterday onwards.. Her BM intake has turned to previous pattern..

Please advise how to move on...

Shobatharun
    I have no idea of stopping BF till 12 months as I want to give her the best food.... I have heard of jasmine vaidhiyam, haven't heard of cabbage dose...

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Tianna, I would introduce more variety of foods, vegetables and fruits first, experiment with consistency and texture first (of course with the four day wait and watch rule) rather than introduce more meals. I would aim at breastfeeding first and then give breakfast, add lunch in the 7th month and dinner in the 9th month. If you add an am snack first and the evening snack a little later between 11 and 12th month, your baby would be getting a good mix of breast milk and solids.
    Mother-2-Mother.com
    This is the pattern i followed and used wholesomebabyfood.com for when to introduce which food i.e. dairy after 9 months, foods more likely to cause allergy etc. This is the current recommendation of most of the paediatrician bodies, including IAP and AAP.

If you have the time, it may be good for you to make the food rather than give cerelac as they have a lot of sugar in them - not good for babies at all. And making baby food from scratch also means you are sure of why your baby is not responding well to a solid and eliminating allergens. Just my two cents.

7. Tianna

Tianna Senior IL'ite

Thanks a bunch Tikka for your valuable information and timely help..