1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby poops after every feed..is it normal?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by mrspat, Jul 9, 2010.

1. mrspat

mrspat New IL'ite

Need suggestions from other moms here...My LO is now 7 months old. I have started feeding solids to her. She poops after every solid feed. The poop is not hard but not very watery either. Is this normal?

Also, I find that however much she takes in solid food or any juices, she needs to be breastfed, else she keeps crying. How do i get her to skip breastmilk atleast for one feed? Will it become ok with time ?

The frequency between feeds is at the max 1.5 hrs..Is it normal at 7 months? I was thinking that the gaps between feeds wud increase when i introduce solids...any suggestions?

2. saralasastry

saralasastry New IL'ite

baby poops are normal in that age 7-8 poops per day. 4 oz food or any other fruit juice is good for her, the frequency between the gap is 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs. if she cries, try to give little warm water, barley water, sabudana java, or raagi java . if u try to give like that liquids instead of breask milk.

3. kalaprabha

kalaprabha Silver IL'ite

mrspat,

Babies need either breastmilk or formula until 1yr of age.Nothing can be compensated with milk.If your trying to wean your baby from breastfeeding try giving her formula milk in bottle either before solid feeding or after.

Number of times baby poops depends on the solid food you feed.May be the food contains more fibers.So dont worry about it.Since you started solids recently its taking time for her tummy to get used to it.Juices should be given in very little quantity otherwise it causes stomach irritation in babies.

[​IMG]
    Kala

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i do not agree 8 poops a day is way too much! u must be talking about a newborn! not a 7 month old!

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

I do agree with poonam. My DD used to poop 4 times when on exclusive BF and now after starting solids its just 2 times a day.

7-8 times is too much. May be check with your paed.

6. mrspat

mrspat New IL'ite

I reduced the amount little bit and changed few items in her food and she did not poop at all today:hide:
    Let me try something else tmrw..hopefully i shud get it right for her..

7. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

Hello all,
    second time mommy here with a big confusion.

My DS was exclusively Breastfed till 5 months and 14 days, since my supply was dwindling and so i started with ragi.

introduced rice cereals at 6 months..
    he will complete 7 months in 2 days now...

he passes stools after every feed.
    atleast6 to 7 times a day..
    im worried..

poor little boy he has got rashes too...

help me please.
    i wanted to konw if this is normal after introduction of solids..
    can i give him iron supplement??

im worried if he will loose weight fast....

8. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

pat and aparna, I agree with Poonam and Aishu.
    8 times is okay for a new born or until 0-2 months, not for a 7 mo old.

Freq poops may be due to the introduction of a new solid, but not everyday.

9. dsudha

dsudha New IL'ite

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  10. mrspat

mrspat New IL'ite

Thanks to all..my LO is doing better now..2 poops per day which is pretty ok...
    I think it had to do with the amount and type of food as Hema has suggested. I was giving carrots and apples, rice , cerelac..I am still giving her the same items but reduced the amount..

I think she liked the new spoons and was opening her mouth to bite the spoon and there I was dumping all the food into her...:bonkpoor thing..

I am just giving 1 to 1 and half spoons at the max and her wt. has now once again started gaining..

Aparna, try giving initially just half a tsp. of ragi for 2 to 3 days and then slowly increase..if he continues to have problem, change to rice or barley ..and then try ragi after few days.