1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby nursing only for 5 min.. Sad

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Cutepavi, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    My baby was born tiny.. but he gained weight pretty quick and is now (at around 2 months) he is double the birth weight.. Main reason I feel is he was good eater... i mean he used to nurse strong for around 20 to 30 min

Now, Last week my mom asked me to give him some (Naattu Vaidyam) for his cough( he coughed only once though!). After that i again nursed him as usual and when i was burping him he threw up everything( not spit up) and he vomited again in 5 minutes. When we called the doctor, they asked us to be strictly on pedialyte. Since he cried a lot in the night even after drinking pedialyte, i thought it would be good to nurse him and infact he drank pretty well and did not vomit. But from the next day onwards, he is drinking milk only for 5 min and if i try to stretch it a little more he might stay latched on for another minute or so...

I am really concerned if he is getting his stomach full... because he is not showing any hunger cues after that for another 2 hrs... Why is he doing this? Is it ok if he did that? or do i need to see a ped? Am worried if he will start losing his weight again :(((:)hide:

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Pavi,
    Dont worry. Kids will be like that till certain age, its just generalising. Slowly try to increase his BF time and dont repeat Natu vaidyam for him.
    Hope he will recover soon without any weight loss.

3. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

hey Cutepavi,
    my LO too will be 2 mos in next 2 days...from Saturday, I see that she nurses for only 5 mins...earlier she used to nurse from both breasts for atleast 30 mins...moreover she doesnt seem to be hungry too...the gap b/w feedings is more than 2hrs...
    doesnt this look like ur problem?
    like everyone says, Iam consoling myself saying this is a phase...bcos last week she was nursing every 45 mins.....
    watever be the phase, my only prayer is LO keeps gaining weight..

maybe lets wait and see for another 10days..

4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

My experience:
    Nursing happens in phases. DS nursed for good 10-15 mins on each side for the first 2 months..Then 3rd month, he hardly nursed 5-7 mins on each side...Then he was lil better @ 4 months..@ 5 months he got teeth and got distracted often and he started biting me. So I had to stop nursing and pump and give him...

Long story short, they will definitely have milk if they are hungry..I think as they are approaching new milestones, they get distracted and drink less..But they will catch up, so don't worry..

5. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hi paddu,

Sounds like you have the same problem.. My LO is also almost 2 months(may be in a week)... So i guess this is generalization... but still i feel guilty and sad and also i miss those lazy afternoons with him nursing :(((
    Hope he does not loose weight:hide:

6. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

hi cutepavi,

hugs to you dear....My DS was also born underweight and gained weight well because he's a good drinker. And he too has very erratic nursing behaviour since day 1. For a while he was nursing very well, like you mention - 10-15 minutes of constant drinking and then calming down to fall asleep. Recently he has started to protest and arch his back after 5 minutes of nursing, though at times when he's really hungry, he nurses well. He also nurses very well at night when nobody's around, lights are dim and he just wants to fill up and go back to sleep.
    Even while drinking from the bottle he's very distracted.
    The reason I'm not too bothered is when he's really hungry, he goes for the milk and at the end of the day (or 2), balances out well.

I saw in another thread that you mention your mom rushes with a bottle when he cries. My mom used to get a bit agitated initially too and go 'looks like his hunger isn't satisfied... breastmilk isn't enough.. looks like it's too watery, are you sure he's getting enough, etc', but eventually realized none of it is true. She's very conscious as to not interfere too much and leaves it to me. I'd suggest you politely tell your mom to do the same.

And baby blues at this stage are very common. Even I felt very down the first couple of months.... one problem settles and another crops up...!:)

My suggestion for now is to always go to a quiet dim room with no distraction. Start nursing him. If he stops after 5 minutes, give him a break. Come back in 10 minutes or so.... and try again. I know it's time consuming.. but it's just a phase and shall pass..

tikka likes this.
  7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

I agree with Mridusudha

LO was feeding for 15 -20 min until she was 2 months or so.
    After that she used to feed only for 5 min and these days with all the distraction around she hardly feeds for 2 min .....
    She never had any weight-gain issues and she is pretty active

8. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Pavi, Wait for some more days, reasons could be, its a phase, probably LO is taking time to settle down after his vomiting, try frequently, dont force feed, i know how it would be, to have mom, and she trying to bottle feed LO, trying to help you :) Hugs :)) Try to visit IL, just to vent out, you would feel great :)

9. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for the support.. I tried calling the Lactation Consultant.. She said he is just growing and would come back to normal feeding schedule in a week or so!!! Everything day is a challenge with the baby.. Thanks again for all your replies!