1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby nursing on one side only Please Help...

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Cutiesri, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

My 2month baby is not nursing in one breast..she is nursing in left breast and not in right..can anyone tell what to do to make her to feed in both breast?pls help.

Thanks in advance.

2. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

Any problem with the right one? is the positioning ok? or is it flat nipple or is the milk flow too high/less in the other breast. Same case with my DS, he nursed from right and di not from left however hard i tried, finally i left it and ended up getting lumps, which was cured by tabs.. and then started expressing milk from the left side and then i stopped it after sometime when the milk reduced and i continued nursing from one breast.

Sorry could not be of much help. I could not do anything about it. visited many LC's to no use! Later I just accepted it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
  3. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Chotabeem,
    Can I pump from right side?if I pump will my milk from right side will be reduced?

4. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

You can pump. if you pump regulalrly at 3-4 hrs interval, milk supply should not be affected. But again depends from person to person.. My cousin exclusively bottlefeeds expressed BM to her DD daily and supply hasnt reduced. Her DD is almost 10 months now and since she has started solids, she has extra BM now.
    Some say if the baby doesnt suck, then the BM might reduce.. whatever you do, do it religiously without stopping and believe in it. All the best! Try feeding the baby on the right side when she is sleepy.. or donot feed her on the right side for a week and try after a week(ensure you express during this time gap)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. Pisces12345

Pisces12345 Junior IL'ite

I had the similar problem with my 3 month old. She prefers feeding from the left side too. This is what worked for me.... try to start BFing your LO, before she gets fussy or starts crying. Hope it works.....

6. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Thanks Nj and chotabeem for your reply..

7. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

My DD also prefers to feed from the left breast...Since she was rejecting the right breast, I ignored it and ended up with an abscess. I didn't hand express as well. After the surgery, I offer her right side once for every 2-3 times I feed from left. The supply has reduced on the right but I continue this way.

8. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Try to change the position on the right side.Foot ball hold always works on the right side .

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

HI Chotabheem
    I find you are repeatedly using SMS/Chat style...If I see you again using SMS/Chat styles I will delete your posts as per this guidelines of Forum etiquette

10. Cutiesri

Cutiesri Gold IL'ite

Lochu,
    I tried as you told but it doesn't work for me..:-(