1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby massage oil: Suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by coolshee, Mar 13, 2007.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: massage oil

Hi

I was using Olive oil initially but people said that it makes skin tan, so switched to coconut oil now.

2. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

Hi Saheli

I used olive oil for body massage & coconut oil for hair during my son's first 3 months. As sanravi says, I too heard abt olive oil tan effect and stopped it completely. now using johnson's baby oil for body.. pure coconut oil is also good for body massage and goes well with almost all skin types.

Reshmi

3. LakNar

LakNar Senior IL'ite

Hi friend

I used Elaadi (its a herb) thailam (oil) for my son.. This oil really works superb and its a head to toe oil with a pleasant herb smell.. you can massage your baby leave on for sometime and then give a bath with warm water.. It is said to prevent lots of skin ailments as it is a concoction of all herbs..

It is available in gingelly oil base (more viscous effective in cold weather) and coconut oil base (less viscous for summers).. You can use former one when the baby is too young and the latter one when he crosses 1year..

It is available in all stores of kottakkal Arya vaidya sala branches all over India..

I used to buy them in one such branch of Mylapore in Chennai..

They give it in fiber bottles so it wont break or spill unless opened and we used to send it for my brother's baby girl in US..

cheers
    Lakshmi

4. saheli08

saheli08 New IL'ite

thank you ladies for your response.After some research I also found out that grapeseed oil is good along with coconut or almond oil. It is recomended to use any plant based oil than mineral oil like johnson baby oil.I was using johnsons until now but stopped completely and switched to olive oil.wanted to share the information with you.
    My daughter turned 1 mth today :-D

5. VasumathyBalaji

VasumathyBalaji Senior IL'ite

Hi

I use Baby Magic - Warm massage oil, while applying itself the oil will become and its good to apply.

Use it once u feel the difference

6. divyareddy123

divyareddy123 New IL'ite

message for infant

Ladies ,
    I need your opinion / suggestion in giving message to infant ,
    For my son in used olive oil ( extra virgin olive oil from walmart) , as he could not go with johnson and johnson mineral oil .

What is better oil for messaging infant , I do it every day before giving bath.

Thankyou.

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Olive oil is good. But if you want to change, try sweet almond oil. Buy it from a pharmacy; i find the quality better. If you are living in UK I am sure the local baby brands (like may be Penaten etc.,) also sell baby massage oil. I would definitely recommend that you ask in the pharmacy itself if they have a good baby massage oil mix that does not contain mineral oil. In Germany we get good pre-mixed massage oils with natural perfumed oil so i have always used them. I also liked Himalaya's baby oil.

Latha

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I used to mix sweet almond oil and olive oil together. Worked out well for us.

Raj

9. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

I use only olive oil for Akki baby. No other oil because he is having nut allergy.

10. saheli08

saheli08 New IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    My little girl just turned eight mths, she has eczema, is it ok to use oil for massage?
    and how often do you masaage your little ones?