1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby Hair And Weight

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Myladdu, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Myladdu

Myladdu Senior IL'ite

my baby is 4 months now. She was born with lot of hair. I know it's genetic. She is lean and little underweight. My pediatric has no problem with and asked me to check her ounces per day she drinks. She is on track and not going under doctors limit. Also she is 70ath persentail on height for her age. She is on formula.

So my concern is people who are seeing her says that all the nutrition are gong to hair so she is lean. Cut her hair so her weight will increase.

Is that true, I don't want to cut the hair now. Traditionally we do it on first year. She looks cute with it . I'm going ask my ped at her 4 th month vaccinationion.
    Moms here pls clarify me

2. Myladdu

Myladdu Senior IL'ite

Members here pls give me som tips to increase her feedings. She is on formula

3. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    I am a mom of 16 month old, my Ds was also formula fed partly and he too had lush hair when he was born and again he too was in 70th percentile.

Sorry to break it to you that the advice or suggestion that you are getting is absolutely wrong. The nutrients just don't go to babies hair if it does your child will not be in 70th percentile.

Babies who are well fed are usually in 50th to 70th percentile depending on the parents genes ( if the parent/s are short ( like me)) so, seriously dont worry.

In my case right after 4th month my DS had something called cradle cap and lost all his hair. Now at 16 months my DS is in 50th percentile in regard to weight and height-- my point being babies change it doesn't matter how much I feed him.

Hope it helps

Myladdu and Bhanulakshmi like this.
  4. Bhanulakshmi

Bhanulakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi myladdu,
    Even my daughter is 3 months old now..
    She also has lot of hair n is on 87 percentile in height...
    N 25 percentile in weight...
    Completely Breastfed..
    I agree with blindpup..
    My pediatrician said she is growing perfectly fine and its just her body type..tall n lean
    Even if u cut her hair it grows again so u cant do anything in that case..
    She is perfectly healthy n dont worry..
    Just she might have got the bodytype of someone in ur family...answer the same to anyone who comments on her weight

blindpup10 and Myladdu like this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hair and nails are sort of waste material from the body.if hair and nails grow fast it just means your child has a high metabolic rate. Which is a great thing. With a high metabolic rate, the body tends to not accumulate fat but burn it. It was the case with my child too. I got the same useless advice too. Just ignore them. your child is normal. There's no need to overfeed her and make her overweight right from now on - that would be a very unhealthy thing to do . Keep doing what you ard doing and change the topic politely when nosey parkers spout this nonsense.

Myladdu likes this.
  6. Myladdu

Myladdu Senior IL'ite

Thanks blindpup
    I'm happy to hear someone with with me .yes my daughter also has cradle cap. I'm using coconut oil in head and forehead. The forehead has some improvement not head.
    Regarding weight she is 2 percentail height 70persentail.
    I'm also tagging @Shanvy ,@Rihana @Gauri03

7. Myladdu

Myladdu Senior IL'ite

Thanks Banu Lakshmi and guesshoo I'm happy to see your post.
    Guesshoo exactly her nail and hair growing fast. But regarding weight she is only 2 percetail. If she is at least more than 10 I won't be worried.
    I don't like to hear those unsolicited advises.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

A healthy active child is a happy child. And rest of the comments that come from sources other than your Paed should be just taken with a pinch of salt.

IMG_0703.JPG

Myladdu likes this.
  9. Myladdu

Myladdu Senior IL'ite

Thanks shanvy I'm trying to follow this. I have to hear a lot more as she grows. But sometime when some say something strongly I get disturbed even they make me tobelieve it's true. Thanks shanvy to come and replied me.

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Logically, even if you chop off her hair, they will grow again and need nutrition to grow. So even assuming it was true (which it isn't), there is nothing you could do about her hair!!!

Myladdu likes this.