1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

baby first books

Discussion in 'Infants' started by mitsviki, Feb 6, 2010.

1. mitsviki

mitsviki Senior IL'ite

hello mommies

i know this topic ha been discussed separately.But sorry for asking again..

i am mommy of 6 week week old girl. I would like to know when to start reading her books and what kind of books and where to buy them

i am sorry if this is already mentioned in the list of topic but as i went through them , i only understood that eric carle website if where we can get the baby first books..if that is the case could soem one Suggest which one to buy

also it will be nice if Some exp mommy can just put out the list books that can be read and which month to begin each....hope i am not asking for too much...:bowdown

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

mitsviki, there's no set list to follow for reading to a newborn, atleast not that I know of. At 6 weeks, they wouldn't know any difference whether you are reading the politics section of the newspaper or a book. All they need at that age is to hear your voice. Just pick up any book you have and read with different voices, tones and funny noises and see your baby enthralled by all that. I would also suggest that you don't read or talk in baby language all the time. I used to walk around the house holding Riya and pointing to different objects in the house and naming them to her. Trust me on this, their brain is like a sponge, and it's absorbing everything and those little synapses in the brain will be busy making connections.

As for baby books, pick one up with a lot of bold pictures, preferably black and white pictures. Babies at this age can see black and white better than other colors.

Hope I helped some. :)
    Raj

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Like Raj said, I read Isabel Allende and Jasper Fforde to DS. But he also had a cloth book on animal sounds that rustled when he touched it and squeaked when you press the beak of the duckling. The book also had teethers in the edge that DS could bite - at a later age. He would also like to hear the Big Red Barn and Good night moon by Margaret Wise Brown.

4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

DD is 4 months and I mostly read newspaper to her. She likes to hear it and now-a-days she touches and tears the paper, likes the rustling sound etc. I haven't started on any propere book yet.

Tikka- any idea where I can buy teether kind of books ... landmark?

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i just read about anything to her, that has big bright pictures... magazines, newspapers.... anything...!
    she loves it, and coo-es and babbles, and we acknowledge that :)

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Rums, the one I got is from Landmark, the other was a gift from a cousin not in India.

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Where can i find board books in Chennai, apart from Landmark. Visited Landmark and it was such a let down. I picked up one which 'First book of colours' and DD loves it. Other than that, could not find anything suitable for reading to her.
    Asked for GoodNight moon, but they didn;t have ..... :(((

8. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Ramya, Landmark has a lot of board books.. I have bought a lot of board books for P and all his little cousins.. still buying such books for the latest little one (7 months old).. which one did you go to?? I usually find it easy to find stuff in their nungambakkam store because there is less distraction as they have placed toys and books seperately and so can easily find books in a jiffy..

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

can u name some books, Arthi?

10. sumividya

sumividya Bronze IL'ite

My baby is 6 months, iam also planning to buy some books for her , suggest me some books.