Baby Diapering question n India

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by glowmom, Dec 4, 2007.

1. glowmom

glowmom Senior IL'ite

Hi,

what do people use for diapering in India these days? earlier, i know cloth cotton traingles were used.. i am sure with change in times, there might be something new..
    do all those in india use disposables? if so, what is the cost of Huggies or Pampers pack? how many come in each pack?

thanks for answering

2. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

in india too,people are using disposable napkins.still the old cotton triangle shaped are in use.
    a pkt of 4 napkins of pampers or huggies usually cost Rs 60 or so.size according to baby's weight is available. nappy pads are also available.

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Huggies and Pampers are costly options her with so many other brands flooding the market, Dry first, Baby love, Joyful, Lolla's.It also depends on the size you want. I buy the XL size and it comes in big packs for around Rs. 600- Rs. 750 per pack for 60 to 70 diapers.
    As the size increase the no of diapers are less.

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Disposable diapers are a bit costly, but i get Wipro Baby soft for my brothers' kid. 28 diapers (L) size costs around 300.

5. Sumathy

Sumathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Good quality cloth diapers are available in all leading baby shops. Instead of the triangular one, I would recommend the one with broad front - they are comfortable to use. In this type, you get welcro type and tying type. I recommend the latter as welcro comes off with washing. Tiny tots is a good brand for these washable diapers - they cost anywhere between Rs. 35 to 45 per piece depending on the size.

You also get a panties with good cotton on the inside and plastic on the ouside. Once the baby starts walking, these are easy to put on (it is difficult to make them lie still and tie the diaper). There are good brands available in this type also costing around 50 per piece.

Ofcourse good quality disposable diapers are also there - my personal favourite is Pampers (the imported one - absorbs better and does not sog very fast). I buy based on the weight - 9 to 14 kg pack containing some 65 pieces cost Rs. 930.

Cheers,

Sumathy

6. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

Does anyone know where to find unbleached Indian prefolds in India? They're all over the Internet but I haven't been able to find any source in-India. I was wondering if the price difference (since they're heavy, shipping counts for a lot of the expense, they're around 1.50 dollar each) would make it worth it for me to ask my in-laws if they could possibly bring them directly from India. But I haven't been able to find much info.

Btw, they look like this:

[​IMG]

the middle part has more layers than the sides (e.g. 4, 8 and 4)

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Marisa,
    I looked for these when I was pregnant and as far as I know they are not available in India - aleast not in Chennai when I looked.

Vanathi.

8. Marisa

Marisa New IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi! I imagined so, but I still think it's strange, given that they're Indian prefolds :)

9. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I have heard that there was cloth diapers with velcro to hold them. Can anyone in chennai or mumbai, let me know where they are available so that I can ask mom to buy it while she comes here during delivery?

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Cloth diapers come with both tying and velcro kinds. Personally I found the tying kind was a much better fit for my baby - esp if like mine your baby is plump and has a lot of tummy fat the velcro simply wont close properly. Velcro is also more expensive. In any case both are available in Chennai at Babylou (Mylapore), Bouncing Baby (Nungambakkam), Shanthi (Indiranagar) and Naidu Hall (Pondy Bazaar) and probably other baby shops as well. Lifestyle has only the very expensive kind - waste of money for a diaper. One thing about cloth diapers here though - they do not have many layers (typically only 4 in the centre and 2 at the sides) so you absolutely need a rubber/plastic sheet underneath and your baby cannot wear any clothes over the bottom (unless you put some plastic pants over the cloth diaper). This is fine for Indian weather but I dont know abt the weather where you live. Cloth diapers in the US - from what I see online - seem to be much thicker and more absorbent. Any moms in the US with cloth diapering experience?

Vanathi.