1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby bath

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vatsi, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Baby baths - equipment, techniques, tips...

Perfectly perfect,
    I dont use anything other than plain water on my DS' s face. I am against using powders esp besan-containing ones as besan has a general tendency to dry skin out (all my dermatologist friends are dead-against it).
    For washing the back I used to lean the baby forward (in a semi-sitting posture) onto my right hand (supporting his neck in front using the same right hand) and quickly soap and wash the back with my left hand. By lifting both legs up together while baby is lying in the tub you can access his bottom.

Vanathi.

2. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,
    As no one is comming for the help at that time, so i was worried. but now i feel i have a good support of my friends here.
    Thanks for that.

Thanks vanathi for your reply.
    take care

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Perfect,

As Vanathi says don't use besan or any other powder on baby's face or even body. My son's pedi in Bangalore also told the same thing that they dry the skin a lot. You don't need to use soap on a baby's face. What i do is i have a small towel with which i wipe the face (eyes from outside to inside, then down the nose, cheeks, ears). If you hold the baby in the position i mentioned you can easily clean the back with your free hand.

Latha

4. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

I can understand that we shd not use any soap or powders on face, but what to do if we apply oil? Just washing with water leaves oily and i am afraid it might leave pimples on face!

Also can i apply powders in diaper area, i read somewhere that we shd not and may i know the reason for it,what do u guys apply in diaper area? I apply moisturiser after bath but for subsequent changes i apply powder only, but i see to that i dont leave excess powder bfr putting on diaper, the reason i apply powder is for freshness and to avoid roughness there.

5. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

San, a little bit of pure corn starch powder in the diaper area is fine to absorb excess moisture trapped from using disposable diapers. Docs recommend avoiding powder on baby's face or body to prevent the risk of inhalation - the powder particles are very tiny and are not cleared from the lung as a result can't cause infections/wheezing etc in kids below 1 yr. So if you use powder in the diaper area make sure you don't send the dust all over the baby and use minimal amount needed. With regard to applying oil, where do you apply oil - to the face or scalp? Either way babies do not need anything extra - they are perfectly capable of regulating their skin tone - so don't dry it too much by washing too often or using hot water and at the same time don't apply oil to scalp - if the scalp is too dry, gently massage the scalp to stimulate the glands in the scalp to produce oil.

-L.

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

San - Lav has explained why powder is best avoided (ok I still continue to use it in the armpits, under the neck and in the diaper area because we sweat a lot here). As for oil - I dont think babies need oil at all so I never used any. If you do use oil maybe you can avoid oil on the face?

Vanathi.

1 person likes this.
  7. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Lavanya, i do apply oil all over the body and also scalp! I am doing it right from his birth!
    Waht is corn starch powder?

Vanathi, i too apply powder in armpits, and diaper area, but only lil bit, seeing that i dont leave excess podwer in diaper area!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  8. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Dear,

Does anyway have idea about hair wash mug...i exactly doesn't know the name of that product.

Currently my mom is along with me, next month she will be leaving back to India.
    I am worried, when i give my 11 week kid hairwash once my mom leaves ...she might swallow water into her mouth.. to avoid that myfriend says there is something like mug available in Toy R us which can be covered over your forehead to prevent water entering into her mouth.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Shampoo rinse cup is what you're looking for, I am guessing. I am going through the smae problem of water trickling down the face and this cup seems to work but not as much since Riya wants to grab when I am using it, which then doesn't serve the purpose. I think it will help a lot once she gets bored of it.

Raj

10. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Raj,

Thanks alot dear.....this is what exactly she is explaining about.