1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Babulal

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Babulal

Babulal used to work for me in my office for the last 12/13 years.He started as cleaning boy,doing the dusting and the cleaning of the office, and cutting the threads of garments, and counting the goods that came in.He was in the lowest category, and for me he was just a boy called Babulal.

A year after he joined, one day I saw him coming to office crying.It seems his first born son, a few months old had died just that early morning,and they buried him on the farm where they worked on, and he came to work at 10, the normal time.I was shocked and told him why did he come to work.I sent him off back home, with two other office boys.The ladies in the office started to cry,and wanted to take leave, as they said they were not in a frame of mind to work.I yelled at them, that u havnt come here to socalise, u have come to work.You havnt even seen Babulal's home or wife,and they ultimately kept quiet.

In the evening I and wife with a few staff members went to his farm,around 20 kms away, for the first time.His father greeted us, told Babulal's wife to make tea for all of us,and he lit a beedi and offered it to me,which i took,wife glaring at me.It seems the child was sick for a few days, and they showed to the docs in the village, but after a few days of treatment, he died.Since a small child is not burnt they buried him in the farm on which they work.I told Babulal's dad why did u send him to work, he said he would have sat and cried, and spoilt everyone's mood,so I sent him off to work.And i had heard that u have a lot of work, and i did not want Babulal to inconvienience you.What could i say to that ? That day my esteem for Babulal and his father went up in my eyes.The father is such a typical villager,but his thoughts much better than any educated person.Later Babulal had 3 more children, two girls and one boy.

My manager left suddenly, and i was left high an dry.Left with no choice i started to entrust Babulal with many responsibilities, like going to the bank,withdrawing Cash,and he picked all that up damn well.He soon started to understand what export is all about, and began managing the staff, the packing of the goods,and soon i was hassle free.

Then a thought struck me, that i am the only one who knows the car, and it is very tedious to go to Tailors to drop and pick goods.I send Babulal to Driving School, got him a Driving licence and made him practice on my Van, and lo Babulal the driver was born.Besides the office work,now he would take my guests from Bombay and elsewhere all around town, to the forts and palaces,to shopping at my friends shops, and my headache was over.A guest cant crib, that Kamal did not come with us, he gets the car, petrol, and a driver called Babulal,and he made everyone happy.soon all my family and cousins and buyers came to know him.

His last bus would go from outside my house at 7, so if i had to keep him late,he would take my scooter home.He never asked for overtime, or extra Sundays,and he used to feel bad whenever anyone tipped him.If i called him to come at 5 in the morning he would be here, no questions asked.He was very loyal to me,and my family.

But good things dont last long do they ?He got cancer , and we tried all we could, got him operated at the best cancer hospital here,but he died two years back after suffering for about a year, leaving behind a young wife, and 3 small children.Now his younger brother works for me, but he is no match for Babulal, but good none the less.When the news reached my family and cousins, money started to flow in for his family,and everyone sorry for him.He was 32.

Even if i had a son, he may not have given me the comfort that Babulal gave me God did not give me a son, but he gave me Babulal instead. miss him every single moment,as i could depend on him for anything.May God bless his soul where ever he may be.And it was my good fortune to have been associated with this great soul.I must have done some good deeds in my past births perhaps.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

That is a great touching story.... Some people are really intelligent... They may not have the studied and might not have the book knowledge.. They pick up things based on their practical experiences and excel in their field... I can understand your feelings... Furtunately I had the opportunity of working with some such people... They are great...

I am really sorry about Babulal... Sometimes I feel sad, when good people leave us very early... May God bless his soul....

On the lighter side of it, In my opinion, you are the most luckiest man in the world.... Yesterday, you were talking that Passport officer helped you out, Policewala dont take mamool.... Arre... Kya ho raha hai..... Please pass on the portion of that golden touch to me also.....

3. desidiva

desidiva New IL'ite

Kamalji,

This is very touching... he indeed was a gem for you...I hope that was true of you for him!!!:-o

I have to ask, I know that he wasn't very much educated but if he progressed so much where he was handling the cash and everything else, did he get a promotion or raises for all that he did to appreciate his skills, value, and hard work?

I hope his family coped with this difficult time and has the support for survival.

You are lucky sir with all the good people surrounding you! You must have done all the right things in your previous life!

Vib

4. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Kamalji,

That was a touching tribute to Babulal. Good things and good people do not last for long. At least you were fortunate to have a good employee and recognised the good in him.

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Veda,

I am glad u worked with some nice people.And i have had quite a few in my life,others being my two maid servants,of which i will write later.You dont get such people everyday.

My employees,have worked with me for long long times,many of them.And i dont pay them great salaries or something like that.I respect them as human beings, thats all.And they turn out to be loyal to me, for reasons i can never understand.

I wish i knew the formula, Veda to pass on to u.The policemen, i am polite, bcs whole day they aer abused by people who get the challan.I try politness, bcs i have commited a harm, and no harm in trying to avoid the fine,if my politness can get me out of trouble, and it does most of the times.HAHA.

Thanks and regards.kamal

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Vib,

Yes he did get his raise,but he never had to ask for it.For a few years business was bad,and i increased his salary at Diwali as usual, and he was the only one to tell me,Sir business is bad, i wont take the raise.Have u ever come across such a person Vib? At least i havnt ever.

H never took any advances, never asked for overtime,and regarding what i did for his family after his death, i cant and wont state here .But all i can say is, I will always miss him, he was a Son, that i never had of my own.Thanks and regards.kamal

Nivedi,

I have dealth with hundreds of employees over th e years, but this guy was special.A fast learner,he picked up things very fast.How can i ever forget him.Thanks and regards.kamal