Ayyappa - Sabarimala Visit

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by rosylife, Jan 18, 2019.

1. rosylife

rosylife Bronze IL'ite

for a friend .
    One of my friends wants husband to go to Sabarimala after taking fast. What are the rules of fast? Is it okay if they hug or share the same bed if she’s not on periods.

2. Outlander

Outlander Bronze IL'ite

Once google it uou will vlearly get to know whole lot of stuff. Typing may be hard

rosylife likes this.
  3. winterhue

winterhue Gold IL'ite

There are different ways of fasting or vratham followed based on lifestyle and constraints and as the daugthter of a dad who has gone for more than 50 years and wife of a husband who has gone for more than 30 years and mother of a son who went twice :) , let me tell you , it is totally based on the people who take the 41 days vratham.

1) The point of vratham is to live as a brahmachari - meaning, celibacy. Its not the "act" , but its the "intent". So if he "hugs" you with a "I am feeling sad and I need a supportive hug", its fine. But if the hug is "I am feeling horny and I want to sleep with you", it is not in line with the vratham .

2)In today's lifestyle, we cant avoid touching women. My dad and husband never abstained from touching us. If we had periods, we just made sure that we avoided them touching us. My dad lived in a house with my mom , sis and me. So either one of us would have periods anyway during the vratham. Plus he was not used to cooking by himself . So he ate whatever mom cooked , periods or not. But my husband is good at cooking and handles the kitchen. So if I get my periods during his vratham, he cooks. But it is not very "strict". he will drink tea if I make it..Like I said earlier, its the intent that matters. Again there are people who are very strict about this - who cook by themselves and sleep on the floor and walk barefoot. But I am telling you what my dad and husband do.

3) The first year after marriage, when my husband was going to sabarimala, we lived in a 1 bedroom dingy apartment in chennai. There was just one bed and since my husband had back issues, he couldnt sleep on the floor. So we slept on the same bed. Just made sure nothing happened :)

4) Men usually don't shave tehir beard and moustache during this period. Again, some offices don't let you do that due to dress code. So I have seen people who grow their beards or just do it a week before going.

5)Better to avoid outside food if possible and also take bath every day morning and evening and light the lamp and offer small prayer. Go to the temple too if possible daily.

these are some of the things we follow. Again, it varies - so it really depends if you want to be really strict about it or want to adapt.

rosylife and shravs3 like this.