1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Ayurveda for curing thyroid?

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by bril, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bril

bril Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I want to hear from ILites who have been taking Ayurvedic medicines for curing thyroid. Do they really help? My mother is suffering from hypothyroid and she chose to go the ayurveda way not to have any side effects. She has a lot of control on her diet too. Has included oats and wheat in her diet, reduced rice consumption(only for lunch) and also takes lots of veggies. But her weight just does not come down. She is walking for close to an hour everyday(@ medium speed) and does some mild exercises whenever she is free. She is not working, but manages all the kitchen work by herself. Even then she feels tired soon and also little lazy early in the mornings. She is taking these medicines for 5 years now though she incorporated food control about an year back. Of late she is developing very dry skin in her legs and thats my main cause for worry. She was advised to use a specific oil for the dryness to go and not use soap in that area, but thats not a permanent solution i feel.

My doubt is , How effective are the medicines for curing hypothyroid in ayurveda? Has any one of u tried them? Should we just take a call and switch to allopathy? She is worried about the side effects esp because it involves changes in hormones artificially. But, because of that we should not keep continuing something when it doesnt help much right?

Pls pour in your suggestions. I badly want to see her healthy.

@ Moderators : Sry if i have overlooked an already existing thread for this problem. Pls merge them together.

Thanks,

2. drjyotikiran

drjyotikiran New IL'ite

Dear Bril,

I would like to know the Ayurveda medicines which your mother is taking since 5 years and also quote her recent T3,T4 & TSH values.

After knowing these, you can get a proper advice for your query.

Regards,

Dr. Jyoti K

3. anne12

anne12 New IL'ite

Hello Friends........

Naturopathy or nature care is used quite frequently for treatment of thyroid diseases. According to nature care, a patient should not allow the body to become exhausted. The patient should also be cautious to avoid any annoyance or anger likely to cause emotional upset. Naturopathic treatment of thyroid diseases is aimed at purifying the whole body system. Nature care suggests a patient to adopt a rational diet and also take adequate rest and relax. According to naturopathy, though there is often a recurrence of symptoms during treatment of thyroid diseases, these should gradually lessen.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  4. rins123

rins123 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I have been recently detected with Hypothyroid (TSH 121)...I have been put on Levothyroxine and now down to TSH 0.08. It is important to understand that while these tablets are synthetic ...they are the replacement of the actual thyroid your body should be producing....while I am not a doctor but have done research on ayurvedic medicines for hypothyroid...no ayurvedic medicine has thyroid hormone in it....But yes ayurvedic herbs will help to relive the symptoms that come along with hypothyroid.

I have been using Triphala Guggal tablets (post meals) while continuing the original levo tab....There have been cases where people go off the thyroid meds and are leading healthy lives...

Another imp thing to note is one shd keep a watch on the diet...thyroid causes hand and feet to go cold.....so one shd avoid further cold food (like ice creams,etc)...As per natural treatment you should include food which has warm effects on body (like ginger, etc). Also with hypothyroid....ur body systems become slow so eating ligh food might help.....triphala guggal is a combination of herbs and guggal (gum- which has a warm effect) This helps to eliminate waste from body (which becomes difficult when hypo)....

Again I am sharing with my own experiences and not a medical practioner....there are other ILs who can throw light on that.....

Keep away from stress....yoga helps a ton......

5. mercifulmn

mercifulmn New IL'ite

First of all not all thyroid issues are same, they vary from hyper thyroid to underactive thyroid and apart from this many other disorders can cause a visual enlargement of the thyroid gland including iodine defieciency, especially in mountainous and hilly regions. Ayurveda can cure thyroid but it needs time.