1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ayirathil Oruvan Review .... anyone seen ?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by rosegirl, Jan 15, 2010.

1. sathyanjali

sathyanjali Senior IL'ite

Definitely Not for 5yr old kids.
    But I saw with my family :( I had to take my 8yr old son along.We had no other choice :( But my DH had him in his lap and we kept talking to him so that he doesnt get frightened.
    For the vulgarity in dialogues... I dont think kids will understand. They are affected more by the visuals.

2. divaone

divaone New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I saw the movie today. Great stuff from selvaragavan :thumbsup. Its totally a different experience. first half was simply superb. second half was bit violent yet good. All the three(karthi, reema and andrea) were good but reema sen tops the list. The song from old aayirathil oorvan is an enjoyable treat. I too will not recommend the movie for kids, but i saw many kids watching it with full interest!:)
    Another mark of selvaragavan. A MUST watch movie..

3. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Thanks for the clarification..Finally convinced the cutie pie to stay @ home along with my MIL ...Alls et for tonight's movie..will get back with he feedbacks very soon :thumbsup

4. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

In one magazine , it is written as: keeping good cinematography, art direction, music and still proved to deliver movie with full of confusions and worries, we can praise selvaraghavan as "aayirathil oruvan" :rotfl

5. aharia

aharia Silver IL'ite

I have plenty of questions to selvaraghavan after seeing his movie. below are few. 1) Do you really know anything about tamil history , especially about cholas...? We have lived in well civilized manner before mankind started in several continents 2) Do you think our ancestors are of barbarian kind..? You shouldn,t use the names of cholas and pandias in your imaginery story throwing wrong message to future generations. 3) Do you think we are not aware of any english movie. People, if you already watched mummy, gladiator, da vinci code, 300, ...., you do not go to this movie 4)what kind of audience you targeted. Children, ladies, ( especially pregnant), old people, weak hearted persons, do not watch this movie. ( I prefer no one to watch) A story of historical kind, should expose the goodness and good presonalities, though all have bad faces. As a fan of Ponniyil Selvan novel by kalki, I request film department to ban this movie before it brings shame to tamils from all over the world.

6. StaarBearer

StaarBearer Senior IL'ite

I watched the movie over the weekend but found the second half too boring.
    Almost walked out of the cinema-hall post interval, but somehow convinced my wifey and paid the price when we returned home.

Totally hated the second half, but loved the ending and Reema's and Parthiban's acting. Salute to Selva for making such a genre movie when everyones into romance and violence alone.

7. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

I second you Aharia!In the name of reality selvaragahavan has chosen vulgarity.Even I was wondering where he got these stupid ideas from.

The second half is just horrible.Is he trying to say that twosome is something which is a norm.The movie is all about exposing, violence and vulgarity.I felt few scenes are sadistic too.

If Selvaraghavan proclaims that this movie is of historic kind.I am sorry to say your movie does not imply that.

Taking a horrible movie and then comparing or blaming it on mummy & other movies is stupid.I now choose to forget the illogical scenes(thank god the hollywood guys did not concentrate on skin shows) in those movies after seeing this movie.

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Got to watch AO last week. Here's what I think about this piece of art,

Its definitely one of its own kind movie, different from the usual masala subjects and love affairs. Everyone in the movie have performed really well. Some gladiator type scene were well taken.

But I still feel there's some missing link in the movie. Overall its not for mass audience. A common man will have hard time to understand its screenplay. I'm yet to understand the scene where there will be the dancing shiva shadow and andrea asks these people to run before the shadow vanishes (may be missed some dialogues in my drowsiness looks like ;-) ), there are lot more like that.

Reema and parthiban did very good in delivering the dialogues. An applause to selva for taking such a tremendous effort, but he needs to reshape this piece of work for a mass success. Most of the movie was in dark and it indeed left us dark.

Hopefully there will be many more followers for this type of movie, so we can dig out the marvels of our ancient civilization.

-Uma

9. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Ok, here I am with my comments -

I happened to see a special show of the film - 'uncensored' version.. Imagine my reaction to the uncensored scenes!

I had to take my 3yr old because the whole family was there to watch the movie. though my kid decided to sleep during most time of the second part of the movie.. he still got scared with some of the scenes of the cholas..

Good part - The first half of the movie was interesting (to me it was) and the tiny bits of comedy was good too.. Reema Sen's performance was toooo good thru out the movie.. after so many years, this is a superb break for her. Andrea didnt have a equal part as Reema, still was ok. Karthi's acting was quite natural (do not compare him with his bro). Parthiban did justice to his role and was completely involved in the role.

Worst part - Quiet a lot of violence in the second part.. actually some of it was GROSS.. All that I saw was that barbarians filled the entire screen.

As Aharia mentioned, Cholas are shown as barbarians.. seriously people, most of the scenes involving cholas was gross. I dont know how it was in the censored version but Selva doesnt have to show it so gross in the name of reality.. Director's have to be sensitive to the audience. I thought no women/ child / weak hearted / sensitive hearts should see the movie.. I was furious when the film showed the barbaric behaviour of the military force on the cholas - especially to the chola women.. what nonsense was that???? In this era/ trend, it is definetly not at all necessary to show this kind of behaviour from the military team.. Selva can even justify saying Cholas will behave so because they are away from civilisation for the past 800 yrs.. but the military men are supposed to be civilised men of the present generation, whats the need to show them humilaite/ r*** Chola women?? Military men were not trained to be barbaric dogs.. they are normal human beings na.. why cant they be shown just as humans??? How would any women watching this movie ever feel Military would protect women, even if thats the truth??? I would have -ve -ve -ve feelings abt military men if I were to believe it. My bro who saw the movie with me said, common it is just a movie.. I was like, hello movies dont have to exaggerate to this extent where we start to hate our country's protection force.

Finally, it was another movie with that 'mottai' ending. 'Chola vasam thodarum...' or something in the similar lines.. As if it says it all!

10. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Here i am with my feedback...

And by all means i am here to join with RG

Absolutely a fantastic movie :thumbsup..ofcourse there are are flaws..letz come to that later .. positives first :)

As kamal hasan said, we should no more compare tamil movies with english movies as our technology and standards are too improving..but i cannot help it...none of us would have seen such a storyline in tamil

Director : Selvaraghavan

Yes as the trailers and promos say..it is "Selvaraghavan's Aayirathil Oruvan"

90% of the scenes are unpredictable...which shows how smart the director is

Has utilized the artists and the technology as much as possible

3 years of effort is crystal clear

Many claim that he has portrayed cholas in a negative manner...for which he has given maximum justification

Cinematography - Ramji

Without whom the movie would have been nothing

Let it be the visual treat in the first half or shots inside the dark caves with
    dark people...Mindblowing

Music - GV.Prakash

The chikku bukku rail has now turned into rawalpindi express

leave out the songs..the background music was awesome..and that theme
    music in which parthiban and karthi dances..never thought that GVP had this
    much of talent..the thrilling effect was enhanced with his BG score

Artists

My favourites are in the respective order

Reema - No other director could have tuned her this much..a girl who was used for skin
    show alone has been moulded fantastically
    Particularly the scenes between reema and parthiban..when he tries to find out
    her background...the sarcastic dialogues between karthi and reema...oh my
    god..1000's of emotions and expressions in her face..she was a cutie pie while
    dancing with karthi in "adho andha paravai" remix

Parthiban - Whom else could have justified this character..His physique and
    appearance has positively helped him sync with the
    character...His eyes were his main plus...A big mouthed person has been
    given very few dialogues..but his eyes speaks more than his routine...i am
    fan of parthiban since dhavani kanavugal..and now i am more proud to say
    it...the best movie of him next to housefull..hats off to this man...credit goes
    to selva for sure..not able to rate which was the best scene of him but this
    is what flashes in my mind instantly

1. The reaction when he understands reema has ditched him and his people
    2. The voice modulation and eye expression when he announces his people about the much awaited return to thanjavur
    What a dialogue man "Em makkaal.. "
    3. The final scene..no words to appreciate the actor and the director

Karthi - No doubt he tops ...but the character's uniqueness and presentation made
    reema and parthiban top the list...otherwise karthi is no doubt the best..comedy
    comes very naturally...and the sarcastic dialogues of him wins the applauds of
    all viewers...most of our youngsters would have envied him...sema looty with
    reema and andrea...fits into the character perfectly...

Andrea - comes throughout the story..the scoring part goes to reema so she has not much to do..still has justified her role..looks bit manly @ times...would be cool if she looses some extra weight...her voice is too unique and impressive...but the wonderful song "maalai neram is no more screened which is a great miss

Ok now letz come to the flaws:

Kurai illadha manidhan illai..so obviously any creation of him too can be expected with few flaws...Many questions arises in our mind... such as

1. How come karthi gets all powers to defend the warrior in the arena
    2. Reema and his fellow people starts this mission for their personal vengence..then how come they get the governments support..though a minister is onvolved..the time and force involved was enormous
    .....and so on...

Hit List:-

1. "Nel aadiya nilam engae.." lyrics and heavenly voice of Vijay Yesudas
    2. "Un mela aasai dhaan.." song choroeography
    3. Picture Perfect climax...Nothing else could have topped this
    4. Agmark kusumbu dialogue of parthiban when he tries to woo Andrea

One-Liner - Truly a fantasy world...with suspense and thrill every moment...Worth watching no doubt...Please watch it in theaters alone