1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

aware of ur first period?

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by Huma, Apr 18, 2007.

1. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the informative link Jothi.

2. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Jothi,
    the link given is very useful. Thanks dear.

Seena.

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

A pertinent thread,Huma and good to see the responses, especially Jothi's link. I look forward to talking to my daughter about this some happy day.

Anyway, the date of the first period is very crucial in detrmining the level of risk for uterine and breast cancer. I did a cancer risk survey once and this question was the second.

And then, astrologers embarass daylight out of you asking for the muhurtam in which the first period started.Like in that confused moment, any mom or daughter notes the precise timing.

Thinking aloud, you live a life as a carefree lil girl, freely swimming,playing hockey and gym daily. Then you get a life-long chum, develop a love it hate it , still can't live without it relationship. Then once it stops forever, pine for it. Finally, it is like all of life's other gifts.

4. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi all
    i think the function for celebrating the first period in still on. nowadays they do the function even the daughter is still immature. its become a fashion.

i wonder why they do it in the first place? anyone knows it?

looking forward to ur answers

bye

5. priyanka

priyanka Junior IL'ite

Hi all

I am NorthIndian and we donot have any such functions for periods.We do have restrictions.The restrictions are very similair to south,but many things are changing now.
    I still remember when My mother had told me about periods.I was around 13 .It felt so interesting that, i went to school and told all my freinds about it .But no one believed me.Before this i used to think that girls suddenly change physically when they get married.

Then i got my periods after few months.I didnot panic.I am really lucky to have my mother as a friend.She has always guided me.Even when i was about to get married ,some things like sex,relationships and many other things.She had also educated me about these things from books.

Priyanka

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  6. Nains

Nains New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am a new member to this site and i find it very intersting and it's full of knowledge!!!

Coming back to the question, I got my first period when I was 13. I went to the toilet early in the morning and i saw some blood...i was horrified and thought i have some disease...the whole day i was afraid...looking at my dirty clthes..i told my mom that i will start washing my clothes on my own..she was very happy...i slept at night praying to GOD..the next morning it will go away...but next day my mom saw the stains and just gave me a pieace of cloth without telling the reason...it was sad..i will definitly tell my daughter when she grews up about the scientific reason behind periods...

after a year in my school ( which was a girls high school), few ladies came from a brand of napkins and they showed us a video and gave free samples of the sanitary napkins...i was in 8th std by that time...it was really useful...

ok..bye

Nains

7. manisha13

manisha13 New IL'ite

hello
    mine was a totally different case,i was in class 10th,it was only me in the group of my friends whose periods had not started, i was very curious and used to ask them what is it like,and they used to tell me different funny explanations,just to sacre me.
    Finally when it happened i was very happy,as now i can also be a part of discussion,and very proudly said to myself 'Congratulations on becoming a woman' :2thumbsup: but now i find it very funny and laugh at myself.
    manisha

8. shwethag

shwethag Bronze IL'ite

Priyanka your mom seems to be cool I wish my mom had given me some information like that. I think I was around 13 or 14, I had MUMS my whole face was swollen. I could not take bath as my mother was scared that I would fall unconscious so I would just change my clothes. My mother saw the stains on my skirt and screamed "Oh MY GOD you have got periods" :cry: (which by the way i had no clue what it meant):idontgetit: I guess she was not happy she wanted me to be her little baby
    girl for some more years. She just gave me a cloth no explanation's. I had a neighbor my best friend I used to spend most of my time there, she then explained it to me with with scientific reasons.

Shwetha

9. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Great Topic....:2thumbsup:

I got them when I was around 13.

I remember gettin them somewhere around the early evening... but as everyone else was confused about it, as I too wasn't aware of what it was... So instead of going & tellin my mom, I just changed & washed my undies... then at night, wore a petticoat with my pajamas, & stuffed my petticoat "there". In the morning, I go to my mom like a good girl & show it to her. She didn't tell me anything. Unfortunatley, my mom's pads were not there at home, so I got to bumk school. She went with my neighbour & got me a few underwears, bras, etc & told me about how to use the pad, etc. But I wasn't told the exact thing. In fact, I thought this was a one-time-thing... How wrong I was:oops: !

There was no function, but yes it was kinda told to everyone. Man! It's so :idontgetit: ... I don't think I would go around tellin people when my daughter gets it....:)

10. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi all

after reading all ur replies and specially from JustAni. I am wondering what kind of pad r u using it?

when i was in india i used period pads but some of my cousins just put some old cloth and wash it after use.

in uk i used always extra long.

bye