1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

aware of ur first period?

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by Huma, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

do u remember ur first periods? did u know abt this? or were u totally unprepared?

i remember mine. i was abt 12 and didnt know nothing abt this. it happened one day when i went to the bathroom. i was scared, didnt tell my mum. i was hoping it will disappear magically. i stuffed my undie with a lot of toilet paper. i was thinking i had some disease and going to die.

i would like to hear from all of you guys?
    bye

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    I was around 15yrs when I had my first period.
    I didn't tell my mom at all, I was so scared about that.
    Later my mom came to know about that. Later my aunt told the details.

Thanks,
    Punitha

3. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hi,
    reg.mine hahhaha funny, my friend gave me wrong info abt this,when i was in 9th,she told me that white discharge will come,it is called mensturation.
    but when i saw blood,then iam was in confusion,shock,something mixed,ithought iam having cancer,so iam going to die,so pray to god,pls help me to make others happy,so until my death,every one should be happy,they should not know the reason why i died,becoz of tamil cinema effects:mrgreen:,after 15mins,my mom was rushing to her school ask me to come out from bathroom,but she found out from my dress,she said oh,ok go to the other room,u should be there for 3days,thatz all, then my aunty came & advised me what to do,itz not cancer,this is called periods. hehehehe,big story isn't it??

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  4. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Ladies,

I was in the same boat as you all too. I was about 13 I guess, my mom saw the back of my petticoat and yanked me to the bathroom. I did not have a clue about what it was and why they were treating me like that. Then I figured things out myself. Many Indian moms dont discuss with their daughters. I feel they should discuss this with their girls and give them a headsup and info on the changes that their body will go thru. My daughter is 6 yrs old now. I will definitely have a talk with her when she turns 10, also show her some scientific facts and information. I wish my mom did that with me.
    What do you think about this ladies...

Jothi.

5. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Good subject. My daughter turns 10. I wonder how to introduce all these things to her. So pls some elderly ladies share your experience here. For me I had got some information from class mates. As Jothi said, I think we have to tell our girls about this before it happens.

6. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Hi Seena,

Check this link out. This has pretty good information about when, how and what to talk to our daughters about their first period. This gives a liitle insight but ofcourse each individual is different and every body is different, so I guess we should all use our own discretion on this matter.

Talking to Your Child About Menstruation

hope this helps a little.

Jothi.

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

For me,I was 13 when I got it.Even with an elder sister (1 1/2 yrs elder) ,I had not much idea about it.My mom told me what to do and that's it.The only thing I remember is the kind of attention I was getting all of a sudden from friends and relatives.Suddenly,I had become a woman:-D .

8. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

i forgot to tell u this.... my mum discovered because of the stains in my bed. she told my father. she made me take a bath, for the first time in my life i wear an half sari, coconut in my hand that's how i look in the picture.

they invited all family member, friends without telling why.

in india women who have their periods stay outside the house for three days. they r not allowed to touch anything.

i was in holiday when i got. it was in my auntie's house. it happened in the middle of the night. she made me take a cold shower and told me not to touch nothing. the next day i got flu. and she said to me in two days u can return to normal

so i go to my another auntie house and i was entering the puja room when she said i am not allowed to go in because its just been three days i have to wait again 2 more days.

ouf, that's it for now
    tell me abt ur fuction?

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

There was no function in my case and I am very glad about it. I am a Keralite and I don't think they do functions these days. My dad used to tell us that in olden days ,they had functions for such occasions.

10. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

There was a small famliy function for me. InTamilnadu the girl should be given a bath by three or five or seven of her aunts. They call this "Manjalneeratu Vizha". Why do they let the whole world know about a girls personal stuff?:idontgetit:

Jothi.