1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Avent cereal nipple

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by AnithaPartha, Jan 29, 2010.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Ladies,

Today we visited our Ped and she asked us to start rice cereals with BM.. She also asked us to buy cereal nipple.. Any idea where to buy this?
    I want to know exactly what to ask in shops..

Suggestions !!!

2. Neetu_kumar

Neetu_kumar Senior IL'ite

Hi Anitha, Not sure abt Avent cereal nipple. But i plan to use sippy cups for juices n water and bottle with spoon or bowl n spoon for cereals / kanjis whenever i start semi solids / solids. So far(DS is 5.5mos) it has been BM .I'm planning to ask my ped if i can continue BM for another month or so LOL....lazy me,,,find it easier to nurse:rotfl.

Guess a cereal nipple will hv wider opening.

Just curious, are you planning to start with cereals this early...hez just turned 2mos rite ?? I'm sure Rithik's ped knows him better but i'm just wondering :) as i'm yet to introduce water to DS. Hope Rithik settles soon after the vacc. Whn r u moving to ur new apt?? TC

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Anitha,

I think Avent has something called "variable flow" nipples used for putting cereal in bottle...
    Avent® Variable Flow Bottle Nipples (Set of 2)*-*buybuy BABY&

I use Br. Drown's and they have " Y cut" nipples for thinker fluids like cereal...But I never used these nipples though!!

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I am actually very concerned about the ped's recommendation. First there is no need to start cereal so early, and second, I believe it is a bad idea to put cereal in a bottle. I think you should ask him or her the reason why he/she thinks it necessary to introduce cereal right now, and in a bottle, because as far as I know this is not the standard recommendation.

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Anitha,

I agree with Pavarun..

Did the Ped recommend you to put cereal because your LO was diagnosed with reflux??

Even if your LO was diagnosed with reflux, if you can manage with your diet and see if his spit ups improve then you can avoid the rice cereal..

My friend's LO had the same spit up problem..Even her Ped recommended putting rice cereal but my friend did not do it..Instead she eliminated one by one what would cause her LO's spit up..And now the LO is fine..

And moreover putting rice cereal in the bottle might be a choking hazard...

I am sure you might have already checked with the Ped but want to just caution you!!!

6. AnithaPartha

Dear Ladies,

Thanks a lot for all your concerns.. :)
    I was also thinking that my ped was not good but from my last visit I read that she was more exp ed and also is more concerned for rithik coz he is a preemie..

Ped asked me to start rice cereals along with BM for 2 main reasons-
    1. My milk is going down
    2. Will completely avoid split ups seems

But as you all said am also really concerned abt starting rice cereals this early.. Babies & Doc are too fast ah :rotfl:rotfl

I think R is also too fast.. Always hungry and searching for my B/ milk:biglaugh. I think if I give soup also R will drink it happily now itself.. He is leaving a sound chup chup(how we eat pickles mouth watering) like that my son tasting my milk and drinking..

Ordinary nipples - not worth coz cereals will get stuck I think..
    Also R is not spliting always.. Just once a day is more normal but DH is more worried always.. So i asked ped. But am planning not to give cereals this early dears..

Right? Yes/NO

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Anitha, I think it is a right decision not to start rice cereals now. My little Laya spits up more often than once a day and I am currently not worried about it as her weight gain is good and she is doing good otherwise also.

About Rithik not satisfied about milk, feed him more often if you can, this will also increase your supply. Maybe he is having his growth spurts also, during which time you can feed as and when he wants.

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

anitha did your paed specify he has GERD??? if not then why cereal in bottle? please read this and ask any doubts to him/her before u introduce cereal to your very young baby

What about thickened feeds?

Baby cereal, added to thicken breastmilk or formula, has been used as a treatment for GER for many years, but its use is controversial.
    Does it work? Thickened feeds can reduce spitting up, but studies have not shown a decrease in reflux index scores (i.e., the “silent reflux” is still present). Per Donna Secker, MS, RD in Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease [​IMG], "The effect of thickened feedings may be more cosmetic (decreased regurgitation and increased postprandial sleeping) than beneficial." Thickened feeds have been associated with increased coughing after feedings, and may also decrease gastric emptying time and increase reflux episodes and aspiration. Note that rice cereal will not effectively thicken breastmilk due to the amylase (an enzyme that digests carbohydrates) naturally present in the breastmilk.
    Is it healthy for baby? If you do thicken feeds, monitor baby’s intake since baby may take in less milk overall and thus decrease overall nutrient intake. There are a number of reasons to avoid introducing cereal and other solids early. There is evidence that the introduction of rice or gluten-containing cereals before 3 months of age increases baby's risk for type I diabetes. In addition, babies with GERD are more likely to need all their defenses against allergies, respiratory infections and ear infections – but studies show that early introduction of solids increases baby’s risk for all of these conditions.
    The breastfeeding relationship: Early introduction of solids is associated with early weaning. Babies with reflux are already at greater risk for fussy nursing behavior, nursing strikes or premature weaning if baby associates reflux discomfort with breastfeeding.
    Safety issues: Never add cereal to a bottle without medical supervision if your baby has a weak suck or uncoordinated sucking skills.

9. Neetu_kumar

Neetu_kumar Senior IL'ite

Perfectly right Anitha :thumbsup. Delaying solids will help Rithik in the long run. About the supply...i always feel that. Dont worry keep the pumping n n feeding sessions going and im sure you'll be able to meet your LOs demands for few more months. Good Luck!

10. AnithaPartha

Rekha/Neetu - thnx dears.. am pumping regularly now..

Poonam - Ped asked me to give that only to avoid splitups & nothing else..
    Cereals are helpful to settle down milk a lot seems.. i think ladies who feed their LO s with cereals can tell how useful it is. I can see that its more useful but since R is just 2mon old am not going to take a chance !!!

Car seat technique introduced by my dh is working a lot.. When we place him in car seat he sleeps well and no split ups.. Not sure if LO can sleep on that for >3hrs.. Night he is in his crib only..