Avatar of Lord Sri Rama – Today is Sri Ramanavami

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Lord Rama is the seventh avatara (incarnation) of Vishnu. He is the immortal hero of the great religious epic of India, called the Ramayana.

Rama occupies a very reverential place in the religious life of India and in the religious history of the world. He is the embodiment of righteousness and is believed to be the incarnation of the solar aspect of Vishnu. Numerous temples are scattered all over India for Rama, Lakshmana & Sita. In all images, Rama is depicted to be having two arms which emphasizes the character of Rama as a human being because God Vishnu preferred to adopt this form to re-establish the golden age of justice & happiness. The expression “Rama Rajya”, even today, means the reign in which peace and prosperity prevail.

Valmiki has symbolized Rama as an ideal of perfection. The human personality consists of different facets functioning in different aspects of life. Only in the life of Rama, each facet of human personality is seen projected to absolute perfection. He was a perfect son, an ideal king, a true husband, a real friend, a devoted brother and above all, a noble enemy !

Lord Rama is portrayed as carrying his bows and arrows all the time. This symbolizes his alertness and readiness to fight against unfairness and thus establish justice and peace.
    Wickedness or injustice will always be existent. By his example, Rama gives mankind the strength and conviction to fight it. Man ought not to be weak and accept passively what is unrighteous. He must rise actively against inconsistency and unrighteous or immoral actions. This is called aggressive goodness. Throughout the Ramayana, there are several actions and anecdotes expressing the divine brilliance of the ideal personality of Lord Rama.

Today, being, Sri Ramanavami , let us close with this less common prayer to Rama;
    S(h)aantham sarvagatham sookshmam param brahma sanaathanam
    RaajeevalOchanam raamam praNamaami jagathpathim

You are the eternal Brahman, calm all-pervading and subtle.
    To you, I bow down, Oh Rama, Charming and blissful Lord of the Universe.

Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
    1 person likes this.

2. Chitvish

Dear Friends,
    I am posting a photo of Sri Ramar Pattabhishekam.
    This particular photo is said to be very auspicious to be kept in the house and is supposed to bring harmony and prosperity.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for this write up Chithra. It was very timely. I particularly enjoyed reading as to why SriRama carries bow and arrows, that is a nice interpretation.

Happy SriRamaNavami to you.

L, Kamla

4. Chitvish

Dear Kamla,
    You are always as prompt and as sweet, as only you can be, my dearest Sujata !
    My Thatha used to say, that Rama is always ready to fight evil, with bow & arrow - that is why we are supposed to call Rama any time for help.
    Please refer to
    Shlokas on Ramar (1)

I never fail to chant them, when going out, so much so, that it has become an involuntary action !
    Thankyou for the quick F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra,

Thanks for guiding me to the valuable verses on SriRama. I have taken a print out. Shall memorise them.
    I normally say Mrutyunjaya mantram while venturing out? Is that okay?
    Although I can guess your reply, I need to to check it out.
    If you can, do let me know where these verses are quoted from, TIA.

Thanks and L, Kamla

6. Chitvish

Dear Kamla,
    This is the most famous Sri Rama Sthothram.

The first verse means - We bow to Rama who removes dangers & problems for the individual & the family; one who bestows all forms of wealth again & again

The second verse - He will destroy all distresses of the distressed

Third verse ( very interseting !) - Rama, you should always be fully dressed ( & ready with bow & arrow) and prepared - go in front of me ( to ward off danger before I am attacked !)

Last - You must be ready in my front, back & sides ready to shoot my enemies.
    Rama & lakshmana should protect me from all visible & invisible forces likely to attack me !

My own personal opininon is, chanting Mrityunjaya mantra every time we go out, is "alerting a gun everytime you see a mosquito !"
    If not the whole shloka, the last one gives you the best protection, when you go out.

We, the vedanta students went for a retreat to Anaikatti, near Coimbatore, for 10 days, a few years back.
    There elephants coming & attacking at nights was common. The last class used to end at 9.30 P M. After the class, we had to walk to our rooms in the dark. Our teacher taught us this & we used to chant this loudly & wallk back to our rooms, fearlessly & with full belief !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra Madam

Thanks for the nice write up and the Photo as well. I made panagam today andchanted "Suddha brahma paratpara Ram" .I will chant Vishnu Sahasarnamam in the evening. Insipiration from IL you see.

8. slgayatri

slgayatri Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitraji
    Thats an informative write-up..
    The photo is very good. Thanks for sharing.. I just saved it to my box.
    I wish u and all Ilites Happy Sri rama navami..

Gayathri.

9. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra

Again a beautiful write up from you. To know about the significance of rama carrying bow and arrow was very useful. I did not know that before.

Love
    vidhi

10. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    That was a beautiful writeup on Lord Rama, one of my favourite gods! And loved the explanation you have given to Kamala also......very simple but effective! Will definetely memorise these slokams and will make Rosh also do it....she is the worrying kind! And will love to chant these slokams. She listens to Vishnu Sahasrnamam almost everyday in her room and she says she feels good after that! And many a time i also listen to itfrom her room through laptop, in the uni....so much for technological advancement, we are able to share inspite of the distances!