Austin Middle Schools - Public Vs Charter

Discussion in 'Indians in Austin' started by LavanyaAlambara, Mar 8, 2017.

1. LavanyaAlambara

LavanyaAlambara New IL'ite

Hi Austin Ladies,

I am a home maker with two kids 11yrs & 2 yrs old. We will be relocating to Austin by July (after completing her current school year). I was looking for Middle schools around Round Rock area where my husbands office is located. Got a little confused with Publlic & Charter schools ( we only have Public schools at our current location).

Can anyone help me in giving some inputs on Austin School System & what type of schools are better.

Thanks.

Laavanya

2. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Lavanya,

Charter schools are similar to public schools in that it is free. But, charter schools are independently run outside the traditional school district. They are called "charter" schools because they have a charter that describes what they will focus on and why they exist as a school outside the regular school system. For example, there is a charter school in Round Rock called Meridian, which follows the IB curriculum. In Austin / Round Rock, you can't go wrong with a traditional school in a good neighborhood. But to make sure the charter school is right for your child, you need to do some research.

3. LavanyaAlambara

Hi Jey,

Thanks you so much for the information. Very clear explanation of the school system. I did some research on charter & public school in round rock area & got gd reviews.
    In general I used google reviews, great school reviews, & checked in the individual schools sites too.Is there any other sites I can check about the schools. Pls let me know if you know any.

Thanks you so much
    - Lavanya

Jey likes this.
  4. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Niche is another good site to look at.

5. LavanyaAlambara

Thanks you once again Jey

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

7. LavanyaAlambara

Hi Austin Ladies,
    With your help I have decided to put my elder one in Canyon Vista Middle School.
    Though my hubbies work location is at Round Rock, I am planning to stay at Spicewood Springs, because both school & library is near by.
    I was looking for apartments in this area but not much good reviews. Many apartments are not safe & has poor maintenance I believe.
    Can you ladies please suggest me some good & safe apartments in Spicewood Springs.
    As I am having a 2 yr kid too, it would be nice to have a decent playground.
    Awaiting your reply

thanks - Laavanya