1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aunty - Is It A Bad Word?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by SGBV, Feb 1, 2022.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Most people on the internet react against Thejaswi - a Bigg boss title winner for calling Shamita Shetty aunty. I do not watch Bigg boss; hence I am not commenting anything about that particular incident.

But in general, most of us can recall the horror the word aunty can cause in our lives. Especially when you are in your late 30s or early 40s and still consider yourself young.

I am terribly sorry for calling some of my distant relatives aunt, when they were barely 35 or so that time. I was in college already, but I still thought they belong to "aunt" category based on their looks.
    It was during early 2000s, and that time, married women transformed to aunts within years of their marriage. Thanks to their dressing :) with a huge bindi in forehead, and gold jewelries as well as the way they drape their sarees... nothing could relate them with youthfulness. If they have children, that's the end of their self grooming.

None of those 'aunts" felt offended for being called 'aunty' in their late 30s back then. Rather, they showered us with motherly love and care.

Back in today's times it feels horrible to hear the word 'aunty".
    I am fine if I am called aunty by a child of my children's age. But come-on... I would be terrified if a college girl or a younger colleague of my office calls me aunt. It can be heart breaking.
    Because, the word aunt somewhat equates to mom - which not only carries respect but also associates with age.
    No one would call Nayanthara or Thrisha an aunt just because they are in their late 30s.

I am 40, but I consider myself to be in my late 20s or may be early 30s maximum. I can't think of growing old further.
    My dressing, my life style and the group of friends I hang out are all belong that age category only.
    I am very young at heart, and all my thinking process are the same. I upgrade my technical knowledge and the way I interact in social media just like a young chap, and that works for me.
    Therefore, I could mentally connect so well with the people who are a decade or more younger than with the ones who are in my age group.
    Thankfully, with the help of cosmetic products and parlors/gym I could maintain my body young too.
    I don't have any grey hair and that's genetic I guess. So, unless I share my passport details, no one knows which age group I belong to.

Coming to this thread....

How well do you accept your age? Especially those who are in 40s and above?
    Have you grown old for your age or still look young?
    How do you react when someone calls you aunt or older?

I know, we all have to cross this bridge and age with grace.... But I feel, it would be great to spend at least a decade more with youthfulness before I accept my actual age and restrict my life within the age appropriateness.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    Caide likes this.

2. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

I don't care much ..Intact being at 40s I think I stopped worrying about things which I have no control..:)..Random people calling me aunt,sis doesn't make me older...

3. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

More than the word "aunt" the video became so fame because of fight between Karan-shamitha-tejas.

Still it's in trend to call married women or to make fun of bride to be friends as "aunt" exists. Making kids to address strangers as aunt also is same.

My colleague called me so just because I got married. I am not bothered by it. I have two nephews so I dint feel any difference. But whenever if me or my nephews meet elder person I address others and made them to address others as "bro/sis" irrespective of their age upto mid 50's or so if I feel like it by looking at them.

Before genuinely to address friendly relation(emotional attachment) between them, family asked their kids to address them as "aunt/uncle" but now it has been used to make fun of. Now there is neither genuineness in addressing others as "aunt/uncle" nor emotional attachment

4. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

If you get married whether it’s male or female people start calling aunt/uncle! I don’t think that is wrong. I will take that as a respect! i have not seen the bigg boss referred here ! So I don’t know how it was mentioned!

5. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

I think it's a little offensive.
    When I was in India. I saw random sales person calling me aunt when they looked few years younger than me.
    Sis may be better.
    What's the need to address a stranger with a relationship name?

Onesweetlife likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am yet to attain that zen state of mind. I know death and certain misfortunes like covid can not be controlled by my self, but I still worry about it.

On the other hand, random people's comment shouldn't worry us. true. But I can't consider this young colleague or a young girl next door as random people. Because, no matter what, I have to closely interact with them.

Of course, other people's comments shouldn't make me older. But it can make provoke my fears of getting older before I am mentally prepared for it.

Thanks for your comment

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Young kids like nieces and nephews or their friends can call us aunt, because we are more or less their parent's age group. This is fine with me.
    But young colleagues, who are barely a decade younger to us shouldn't address us as aunts. Although they don't call us aunt at work, their comments like "You are like my aunt, and how can I crack joke before you" can put us down mentally. Because I feel these comments are so judgmental and generalized.

A few decades back, there was a clear demarcation between youth, middle aged, and elders. The middle aged - so called aunt/uncles showed clear differences from young people in terms of dressing, lifestyle, characteristics, technological savviness etc..etc..

None of my aunts in their 40s wore 3/4 shorts or t-shirts or leggings or any kind of fashion/modern cloths which we are wearing in our 40s.
    None of my aunts in their 40s treated their hairs or coloured/curled them like us.
    None of mu aunts in their 40s had friends who were a decade younger to them, yet shared equal friendship.

So, keeping a distance with older people for respect was fine back then. But now, I don't think age plays any roles here

Caide likes this.
  8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

What kind of a respect the word aunt can give to a person?

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Exactly, elder sister - in Tamil akka may be the right replacement i think. Else, calling the person by name or miss/ma'am would be also ok

10. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

True

The word is used nowadays to make fun more than a reason for respect and there is no emotion in it