1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Attn Ladies, Will U Appreciate This Colum Pl Vote

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Jun 16, 2007.

ANONYMITY A COLUM NEEDED IN THIS FORUM

Poll closed Jul 16, 2007.
  1. THIS COLUMN A NECESSASITY HERE

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. IT WILL HELP IF IT IS HERE

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. NO I DONT THINK THIS IS NECESSARY HERE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. DONT KNOW

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sunkan,

I appreciate this idea of yours and for starting this poll. We are a community driven site and suggestions like these are the lifeblood for the growth of the community. I know you approached me with this idea through PM but it would be great to get broader community feedback as well. Glad you did so.

Agreed some of the discussions need to take place without revealing identity. But allowing anonymous posts (i.e. to post as a guest - without registering or logging in) may call for certain issues that we might need to think through.

1. Many new members would not want to register and become part of the community. They would just post their problems as a guest in this column and would stay a silent viewer in rest of the columns.

2. Allowing to post as guests will encourage many male members to come and post many unwanted and unwarranted stuff. Though we do have male members posting even today that gets moderated, this anonymous column would increase the volume of such posts (as posting as a guest requires less work).

3. While revealing identity is a problem in some cases, many times you will not get to know the person posting or the person replying for the problems and the bonding among the community members will not be there.

4. The anonymity will also make it difficult to maintain the discipline of posting only sensitive issues in this column. Guests would post anything in this column (to avoid going through registration) and it might degrade to a catch-all forum.

5. One of the reasons why we made registration necessary to post is because we want to maintain the quality of discussions. Anonymous posting degrades discussion quality and that shouldn't lead to the reputation of the community being tarnished.

Having said that, I do find the need to discuss certain issues without revealing identity. Here is an alternate solution. When you have a need to post sensitive matters and don't wish to reveal your identity, why don't you register in a different name and post using that name? A few members are already doing this. This way, you can use your real name to bond and form friendships while using this pseudo name for discussing sensitive issues.

Let me know what you all think about this alternate solution?

2. lathanarasimhan

lathanarasimhan New IL'ite

Hi Sukan
    It's agreat idea!I'm wih you.
    Regards latha.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear madam,
    thanku for replying to this query for us,as u know that many here feel embarrassed to ask and answer i felt this column would be good, now i leave to the many software engineers here to come forward and help u in organising something which all of us would appreciate...only registered and that too verified are here, to help them medically and mentally was my idea, i am sure once u make up ur mind u will do something for all of us here, understanding indus is only by indus herself and we fall short there...with utmost regards sunkan

4. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

well Sunkan that is a great idea...

but what malathy said is also right... people wud say and do whatever they want... we mite see a lot back biting or one member criticising the other and enjoying the anonymity in that too...

this way it'll become a political ground for throwing dirt on others (wich will be very easy then). also this mite invite obscenity from unkown people...

i just wanted to say what i had in my mind...all you members are very senior from me... and u know the best

~Abha

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sundari,

You have come up with a nice idea. How ever, i do agree with Malathy's points on this. If a person is really in trouble and would like to keep her name anonymous, then i have a suggestion;
    Why not ask the member concerned to PM one of the moderators. The moderator can then post the problem in the forum on his her behalf. I think we can trust the moderators to protect the identity of the member. Also we can may be appoint just 1 moderator or 2 max for this.
    malathy is this a good alternate solution?
    Members, please do come forward with your suggestions and other alternate ideas if you have them.

Vandhana

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear vandhana,
    nice point, see i knew many members can find an alternative, and here screening of the problems can take a 24hrs notice that way one moderator can supervise what is going on, in fact this is a column for those people who know what can be said but never comes forward afraid of their id being known, very very sensitive issues which a battered woman lives could be just a fiction to some and ridiculous to some but many among us are aware of the situation a lady goes thru, so if many can pool in their experience was my motto, otherwise i was answering them through pm, but i want the person concern to benefit from many, that is y asked for anonymity, i am sure we can work at this..regards sundari