1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Attention all ladies in Chennai - Documentary on Tigers

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Madrasmami, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Madrasmami

Madrasmami New IL'ite

Hello ladies,

All mothers in Chennai, please take a note of a screening of a documentary movie on TIGERS in Sathyam Theaters.

There is a special show about Tigers with Ullas Karnath on Saturday (30) and Sunday(31) of this month.

Don't miss on this rare opportunity and take your kids for this special show. Iam sure all of us will have a nice time.

See U at Sathyams on Sunday morning.
    bye.

2. Madrasmami

Madrasmami New IL'ite

Tigers: Fighting Back

Hi ladies,
    I took my two kids to the documentary movie Tigers: Fighting Back. It was very good and informative. It was more about how to conserve the tiger population and the efforts taken by Wildlife Biologists such as Dr. Ullas Karnath and his colleagues.
    In his words Dr. Karnath says, " It is the hunting of the prey that is a bigger threat for conserving the tiger than the direct poaching".

All in all my kids thoroughly enjoyed the screening.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006
  3. safoorabi

safoorabi New IL'ite

About tigers

Hello Ladies !

If you want to know more about the Indian tigers and leopards, you MUST read the true-life stories by JIM CORBETT. He was an Englishman and an employee working for the Indian railways, during the early and middle years of 1900s. His style of writing is simple and most descriptive.

Close your eyes and you can be with him in the jungles of Kumaon. He will read the footprints on the ground, as you and I would read a book. He will tell you which animal went by here, when and if it was a male or a female, whether it was carrying anything heavy, whether he was healthy or not, and many more fascinating things which will keep you spellbound.

As you keep reading, you can almost feel the fresh cool breeze of the early morning accompanied by the various calls by the birds and animals, some in joy and some in fear.

But, to our city eyes, a glimpse of the greatness and simplicity of Mother Nature, at her best, seems to make us believe that we have landed in a part of God's Paradise ! The tranquility is something, which only a discerning soul, would comprehend.

His books are : My India ; Jungle Lore ; Man-eaters of Kumaon ; Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag, Tree Tops.

Another such famous gentleman is Kenneth Anderson. He used to hunt for man-eaters and rogue elephants in Madras and Karnataka forests during the late Thirties and Forties. He lived in Bangalore. He had another house in the distant White Fields, bordering the forest ! And he tells us of the leopards, prowling about near Yellahanka ! ( If my memory serves me right ). Today's Bangalore is a far cry from those far off days !

His books are : Nine Man-eaters and a Rogue ; The Black Panther of Sivanapalli ; and one or two more, I think, but, I cannot recall just now.

After you have read any of these books, I would like to read your comments regarding them.

:wave for now !