Atma is immutable and cannot be destroyed.

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aishu Baby,
    If you call my post wonderful, I must admit, it is more wonderful, reading your FB.
    A young, newly married girl, IT professional - that is what you are. So, I am all the more amazed at your thought process.
    May you & Raghav be blessed in life, is my prayer, Aishu !
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chith

Very enlightening post. Atma does not do any action and it cannot be destroyed. So what all we undergo in this life is (i.e punyams and papams) are all connected only to the sookshma sariram. So the pleasure and pain is not at all bothering the atma. It is affecting only the body. You have said earlier the atma is the happiness. It is not affected by anything. Not affected by pleasure or pain or rather it does not make any difference. So is it conveys do your duty without worrying about the result because what ever it may be you are not going to affected by it. (I do not know whether I have understood it correctly)

Happy New Year Chith.

Love
    Vidhi

3. Chitvish

Dear Vidhi,
    First, happy new year to you & yours.
    You have understood the core of it. So, I am not adding anything more.
    We will add to it gradually !
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mrs. C,

I am so glad to see that your first sentence starts with purified mind deeper meditation is possible. I am doing meditation since couple of days and it is one of my new year resolution. And this post will really help me in my achievement toward it. Wish you and your family a very happy new year.

love,
    Madhu

5. Chitvish

Dear Madhu,
    I am very happy to note the interest, you youngsters are taking to read the Gita posts & send me feedbacks !
    Yes, please continue your new year resolution. Go through it compulsorily first - then you will start enjoying it.
    All the best & happy 2008 to you & yours
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    Thanks for taking the time and writing for us such an unique topic in your easy to follow style;
    I thank god for being able to read and reread this post. The more you read so much more makes sense and lines that you read before gets a new meaning.
    I liked the lines
    ..If there were a pot other than clay"..Anyone who has read Ramana Mahrishi will easliy corelate the two..
    To me this is the best example of all ti understand followed closely by cotton and cloth..
    Also love your lines
    .."The one who considers this (Self) to be a killer and the one who considers this (Self) to be killed, both of them do not know. This (Self) does not kill nor is killed."..
    I have one silly question to ask:
    Though the karmas are meant for Sukshma Sariram , does not the atma learn from the karmas? Because for a journey forward, it has to assimilate from the good actions and from the bad..to spend some time in reflection of past karmas.. So even though atma is immutable, I want to know is it apart from the results of karmas?
    (Its difficult to even frame a question, I cannot even imagine writing all these great lines with such elucidation).

7. Chitvish

Dear AC,
    I am very happy, you are pondering over such an abstract topic and enjoying it so much also.
    Atma is, what we call parabrahmam. It is beyond attributes and cannot be affected by karmas.
    To remind you again, atma is
    1 -not a part, product or property of the body
    2 -an independent entity which pervades and enlivens the body
    3 - not limited by the boundaries of the body - it is like space - all pervading and formless
    4 - survives even when the body perishes and hence it is eternal

Yet another comparison for you to understand easily is, it is like electricity. The bulb, fan or any electrical gadget is like jiva & atma is like electricity. If the fan gets repaired or the bulb fuses, that does not affect the electricity. It helps a new light burn or a new fan to work.Electricity is just not affected in any way by the gadgets.
    If I have not made myself clear, please ask again.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Anandchitra

I understood about the Atma (not very much but something)
    However I find a "connection missing"
    When the Atma leaves a body it still does attach itself to another body to take a birth?
    Is this statement right or false? Please reply
    Bear with me while I muddle my way thru here. Thanks

9. Anandchitra

I read in your earlier post that Atma has no punarjanma.
    I was under the impression that Atma is the Soul
    Was I wrong?

10. Anandchitra

On a lighter side for all readers:

Once upon a time there was this girl who had four boyfriends. She loved the 4th boyfriend the most and adorned him with rich robes and treated him to the finest of delicacies. She gave him nothing but the best.
    She also loved the 3rd boyfriend very much and was always showing him off to neighboring kingdoms. However, she feared that one day he would leave her for another.
    She also loved her 2nd boyfriend. He was her confidant and was always kind,considerate and patient with her. Whenever this girl faced a problem,she could confide in him, and he would help her get through the difficult times.
    The girls 1st boyfriend was a very loyal partner and had made great contributions in maintaining her wealth and kingdom. However, she did not love the first boyfriend. Although he loved her deeply, she hardly took notice of him!
    One day, the girl fell ill and she knew her time was short. She thought of her luxurious life and wondered," I now have four boyfriends with me, but when I die, I"ll be all alone." Thus, she asked the 4th boyfriend, "I loved you the most, endowed you with the finest clothing
    and showered great care over you. Now that I"m dying, will you follow me and keep me company?". "No way!", replied the 4th boyfriend, and he walked away without another word.
    His answer cut like a sharp knife right into her heart. The sad girl then asked the 3rd boyfriend, "I loved you all my life. Now that I"m dying, will you follow me and keep me company?" "No!", replied the 3rd boyfriend. "Life is too good! When you die, I"m going to marry someone else!".
    Her heart sank and turned cold. She then asked the 2nd boyfriend, "I have always turned to you for help and you"ve always been there for me. When I die, will you follow me and keep me company?" "I"msorry, I can"t help you out this time!", replied the 2nd boyfriend. "At the very most, I can only walk with you to your grave." His answer struck her like a bolt of lightning, and the girl was devastated.
    Then a voice called out: "I"ll go with you. I"ll follow you no matter where you go." The girl looked up, and there was her first boyfriend. He was very skinny as he suffered from malnutrition and neglect. Greatly grieved, the girl said, "I should have taken much better care of you when I had the chance!"

In truth, you have 4 boyfriends in your lives: Your 4th boyfriend is your body. No matter how much time and effort you lavish in making it look good, it will leave you when you die. Your 3rd boyfriend is your possessions, status and wealth.When you die, it will all go to others. Your 2nd boyfriend is your family and friends. No matter how much they have been there for you, the furthest they can stay by you is up to the grave. And your 1st boyfriend is your Soul. Often neglected in pursuit of wealth, power and pleasures of the world . However,your Soul is the only thing that will follow you where ever you go.Cultivate , strengthen and cherish it now, for it is the only part of you that will follow you to the throne of God and continue with you throughout Eternity. *Being happy doesn"t mean everything's perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
    Let's Move Together: Every storm that has come into your life has
    widened your horizon, has made you deep and more powerful. Every storm has destroyed some smallness in you, something in you that has been very small.
    Regards.