Athirudra Mahayajnam

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Varloo, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear friends,
    I have received a brochure from the office of the SREE VADAKKUMNATHAN TEMPLE, Trissur, Kerala announcing the performance of the ATHIRUDRA MAHAYAJNAM from Nov.23 to Dec.3. People who are interested can participate in the Yajnam, we can get poojas etc. performed in our name and also donate money for the programme. Any amount can be donated generally, but there are specific amount for specific donateions, like for oil, clothes for the purohits etc.
    Besides that, the devotees can book for the Archanas to be performed in their name and aster, during the Bhagavathiseva ( a elaborate pooja to a very large lamp invocated as the Devi with flowers, performed in the evenings).There are specific SOOKTHAS for getting the blessings for different wishes. That is-

Mangalya sooktham - Marriage, long married life
    Ayur sooktham- Longevity of life span
    Purusha sooktham- Birth of worthy cildren
    Bhagya sooktham- luck, fortune
    Rudra sooktham - Ending hardships
    Samveda sooktham- Amity in household/society
    Saaraswatha sooktham - successful education
    Yogakshema sooktham- Family welfare
    Mangala sooktham- General welfare
    Soura sooktam- curing of diseases.

Rs.100/- for this pooja. Interested people can send cheques or DD
    in favour of -"ATHIRUDRA MAHAYAJNA COMMITTEE",
    The mail address-
    General Convener, Athirudra Mahayajna Committee,
    Sree Vadakkumnathan Temple, Sreemoolasthanam,
    Thrissur - 680001, Kerala State.

Some infor about the temple.
    This is the temple where the famous POORAM festival is celebrated in May. The diety of the temple is LORD SHIVA. This temple is said to be the oldest temple in South India.There is no Shiva Linga or any other idol there, only a large rock like structure is thee. In front of it, golden 13 crescents with 3 hooded snakesatop sumbolises Lord shiva. It is believed to be the Jyothir linga.
    This Mahayajnam is to be performed for 11 days, by 121 vedic scholars.
    There is also a very unique pooja called the VETTEKARAN PATTU. This is supposed to be an offering in the Kerala style to propitiate the Lord. In the venue of the pattu, Lord Vettekkaran (Lord Shia as hunter) is depicted on the ground with natural coloured powders by traditional artistes. It seems that the main pooja is with a drum orchestra. Later 12008 coconuts would be broken by a person, in unison with the drum beats, within a stipulated time interval. It seems very wonderful and above my imagination. I am hearing of this for the first time.
    I would be happy if other members who know about this, post their view and experiences.
    For any other detail, please PM me. I will be happy to oblige.

sindmani likes this.
  2. bipasu_1950

bipasu_1950 Junior IL'ite

Athirudramahayagnam

hai friends,

As varloo has told about the ,Vadakkunathan temple, at Thrissur,there is a sivalingam inside the temple,but it is covered fully by ghee due to neyyabhishekam done everyday.No devotee can see the real prathishta fully.It is presumed that whenever the ghee level falls there will be an event of some inacuous like fire accident ,etc which will lead to death of people.Some years back,there was an accident due to fireworks during the pooram festival which led to the death of a few people.later it was said that some days before the incident,there occured the ghee melting in the deity.Anyhow this temple is a very famous one and those who wish to offer for the Yagnam,they can do that.
    I have written for this for the general knowhow,that is all.

May Lord Siva Bless You All,
    with regards,
    Bipasu

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear bipasu,
    I was expecting your input also in this, you being a long time resident of Thrissur. Thanks a lot. If you could, please do post more info about this temple. I have not much knowledge about this temple. ANd also about Pooram festival.

4. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear All,

I just happened to read about this temple in Aanmeega malar. I have posted the link for the benefit of those who would like to know more about this temple. Varloo, special thanks to you for bringing this to our notice.

http://www.dinamalar.com/2006nov11anmegam/index.asp#1

-Vidya

5. bipasu_1950

bipasu_1950 Junior IL'ite

Athirudra maha yajnam at thrissur

hai,friends,

I am a resident of Thrissur and the Athirudra Maha Yajnam is going on in the Vadakkumnathan temple very nicely.I have been to the temple two days and had a darsan of both the deity and the yajna,also the bhagavathy seva is conducted in the temple everyday in the night.There are a lot of priests chanting the rudra manthras in a separate pandal built in the temple ground.the Yajna will be over on the 3rd of Dec,ie.,on Sunday night.At about midnight the vettaikkaran pattu will beginalong with the cracking of coconuts before the lord in a separate temporary temple constructed for this purpose ,being the concluding ceremony of the yajna.Anyhow this is a great event and it is celebrated for the welfare of the whole community in the world.

About the fire accident that occurred inside the temple,it is understood that the accident was due to the falling of a burning thiri from a lamp inside the sreekovil.No other reasons were found out.It is not a good sign,I am told.Let us hope for the best and pray God for the good things to happen.

bipasu:oops: