1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

At what age to start schooling for toddlers in US?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sanjuruby3, Dec 23, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi ladies

I am FTM so do not have much experience and knowledge in kids schooling in US. At India I know it is 2 1/2 to 3 yrs.

My LO is Jul born and will turn 2 in Jul 2016.. She goes to daycare/school at present but we are planning to pull her out as it is lot of work for us plus her health reasons.

I know School session starts from Sept ( In India it is Jun-Jul).

Should I enroll her back in Sept 2016 again( she will be 2+ yrs then ~ 2 yrs 3 months) ? Or I can keep her with me till next year ( till next summer - march/apr when she will be 2 1/2yrs ) Or If I need to wait till Sept 2017 then.

Someone please clarify the schooling schedule here?

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

a montessori near my home takes starting from 18 months old, fee 1round 900 per month, full day.
    Some montessori takes even younger ones. Search for montessori school methods in web. and if u like this way, search a near by montessori, and talk to them , they take kids mid academic year also, as there is nothing regularly teach for a group, it goes individual guiding for kid by teacher.

Lot of youtube videos are there, I am sure ur kid love this environment.

3. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

Speaking as a teacher who has taught at the elementary level here for a bit. The average age when kids start school (kindergarten) is 5-6 years. A lot of kids, though not all, would have attended through some sort pre school before that. The kids who have not attended any formal school before usually catch up without any issues (it takes a bit longer if they don't speak English at home but it's still not an issue). So the point I am making is that there is no need to feel pressured to enroll your child in school right away if health/circumstances are hard. I think my son is 2-3 months younger to your LO and I will have him start school in 2020! (Born in oct, so he would miss the cut off date to start school when he is 5).
    My plan is to do Montessori at home with him until then :)
    With your LO, once things are stable, since she has to go to daycare anyway, a better alternative would be a Montessori school as Kashmir flower mentioned and that can be whenever you guys are ready. The only thing to consider is that a lot of good schools get filled up quickly so it's good to get on a wait list a little ahead of time if you find a school that you like.

4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

@preesmiles
    dont u think by joining kid that late to school, kids are going to miss socializing part, which starts as early as around 2 years age, like sharing toys, eating together, napping , interacting with elders like teachers, following their instructions,

their socializing skills now form as basis and continue till their adulthood and further.
    sending them for few hours outside gives them independence and confidence.

@op,
    in montessori they provide lunch and snacks, mostly freshly cooked by them,
    in my sons Montessori they give freshly cooked brown rice, pasta, parsian soup , yogurt , milk, pears, apples, raisins etc and no canned food at all. For meat eaters, chicken , salmon is also there.

kids looking at eating other kids, start eating whatever they give. As u have issues with ur daughter eating habits, she may see others and like eating there

5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

My daughter started montessori at 2.5 years. She is speech delayed that`s why we put very early. If the kid is upto the age appropriate milestone, 3 years would be a correct age to preschool.Eventhough US school system did not require any preschool experience for any kindergarten entry, I feel that 3 + years kids should learn something. Because their brains are developing very fast at that age. Whatever they learn stays for their life.

6. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

@KashmirFlower, who says socialization can only occur at a formal educational setting. By that logic children who are homeschool wouldn't have any social skills and only those who go to school early have great skills. I have seen cases where homeschooled kids are outgoing, know how to interact well with kids and adults of all ages while some kids who go to regular school cannot do that. Well, we don't have to go by my anecdotal evidence, lots of research has been done on home schooled kids that shows that them lacking socialization is a myth.
    Also it's not like a kid who starts school at 5 or 6 is locked up in a room. Socialization can occur with family, friends, play dates at the park, libraries...
    I actually agree that kid's brains are growing at a fast rate at this young age and its good to facilitate that growth, though that necessarily does not have to be through formal education. Free play is really the most valuable at this age. Finnish students start school pretty late, learn to read only by 7 but their education system is rated the top in the world.
    Sorry OP, none of this really applies to your query, I just wanted to clarify my thoughts. My intention with the original post was just to put your mind at ease that it's totally fine if you cannot put your 18 month old or 2 year old in school now if things are difficult :)

7. sanjuruby3

I agree with presmiles. I also feel at 18-24 months is right age for kids to start daycare etc as they start getting aware of their surroundings, learn things fast, share/ or activities. My Lo is in same age and very social now.
    She loves being out and happy at daycare. Every day they do some activities etc, learning very fast.

I started daycare for my LO at 1 yr and now at about 2 I am taking her out. We had committed to our nanny and now we are thinking with her health/food habits/constipation etc will improve atleast. I know it will be very difficult for her to stay indoors all the time. So I will put her back in school next yr she will be few months less to 3 by then.

8. kmrkannu

kmrkannu New IL'ite

Thanks sanjuruby for starting this thread . It enlightened me too.

9. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Thanks [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]sanjuruby for starting this. Since our kids are same age we almost think in same line :)

I have a different issue with my DS, he hates books or any thing related to it. I am not sure how to get him started with that. Other than that is he happy and enjoys his art classes like painting, scribbling, circle time etc.

Any suggestions on how to get started on that ?

Also i am happy with his present daycare, that are very flexible and take care will. But i am not sure how it will be after 3 years as there are only 4 kids above 3 now. Next batch for 2 plus would be from my DS class around 10 kids. I am always confused do i need to change after 3 plus and continue this till he goes to school.
    [/FONT]

10. sanjuruby3

Hi girls,
    So I checked with the school director today. She said they don't preschool until 3. So after she turns 3 and if she passes milestones, she might get into preschool. Moreover, they keep same age kids in same room. So based on that she might go to toddler room whenever she comes.

@Viki123 - About worrying about books/reading, I think its too early. All kids have different interests and it changes everyday. Just few weeks back, my LO loved looking at books/pictures. Even though I rotate books, now she hates them, throws them. Same with colors. If still worried, take him to library more often to expose to that reading kind of env.
    I do not understand about your daycare. My LOs class have same age kids. They shift from room to room ( infant to older to toddler) about same time. Check with your teacher.