At what age chidren qualify for free schooling in OZ?

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by ksrisuma, Apr 21, 2008.

1. parimala_80

parimala_80 New IL'ite

Re: Schooling structure in Melbourne

Hi Jahnu,

Thanks for the info.It certainly helps..Could you tell us the age criteria to start Kinder garden in Australian schools...Do they have nurseries also before starting the schooling as such ?

Thanks,
    Parimala.

2. suekrishna

suekrishna New IL'ite

Re: MacRobs School in Melbourne

Hi Jahnu

One of my friends daughters graduated from MacRob and she had attended coaching classes for the entrance exam about a year prior to the exam. There are a number of popular coaching classes that coach for selective schools but they are all locally located in Melbourne. I hope this answers your query.

3. anu_gk

anu_gk New IL'ite

Hi Janu,

Thanks for the information. Hence depends on the area. Like kids should go to the public school which is present in their area. Right ?? SO next question will be coul dyou please suggest some decent areas where most of the Indian professionals stay .
    Also at what age Indian equivalent of LKG starts there ? And what is the age limit for that ? Which month is cut off ?
    Thanks a lot.

4. jahnu

jahnu New IL'ite

Re: MacRobs School in Melbourne

hi Sue,

Can you get me some addresses.... I'm at Melbourne(North East) but any where in Melbourne shld be fine.

Thanks for the response.

5. jahnu

jahnu New IL'ite

The KGs are called Prep I and Prep II here. The 2004 borns would have started their school as Prep I this Feb (2009).

Any younger than that should go to child care which similar creches in India for which you have to pay fees. At school there are before care and after care for kids whose parents are working and require to be at school for longer hours. One has to pay separate fees for that also, but it is comparatively cheaper than child care.

Many Indians or others from the sub continent stay in the South of Melbourne - Glen Waverly, Dnadenong etc. But there will Indians all over Melbourne. You can always come over here, feel the pulse on one area and decide for yourself where you want to stay. Admiting kids in schools is no big deal, so you can always change.

The schools are from Jan-Dec. And generally you can change or start school any time of the year.

6. jahnu

jahnu New IL'ite

Re: Indian Syllabus in Melbourne

There will a child care at every council. But again you will have to pay for it. Otherwise you can attend all the fun activites in the local council and you will get new friends in your area and they will be able to guide you.

Check the google for the local council web site and contact them, you will get a lot of ideas.

7. parimala_80

parimala_80 New IL'ite

Hey Jahnu,

Thanks for your reply.For the kids younger than 4 yrs,are there any play groups / toddler groups(as in UK) available ? Becoz my son is 2005 born,as per your info he might start school next yr,I want to keep him engaged till he starts school...

What is the school timings for Prep I / Prep II ..I mean how long the sessions would be...is it for Half a day / full day ?

Thanks again !

Regards,
    Parimala.

8. sonypush

sonypush Junior IL'ite

Hi Jahnu,

The information on schooling is quite useful. I will need further assistance, my son is 2003 born and studying in grade 2 at Dubai. I plan to move to Australia (mostly melbourne) in the year end so that my son could start schooling at the beginning of the academic year. I could gather from the threads that 2004 born should go in Prep 1, which would mean that my son will join Prep 2 and this would eventually mean that his two years of education (grade 1 and 2 equiv to class 1 and 2 of India) will not be accounted. Please do help me as I am planning to move with my kids first and my husband will join me within a year. He will initially accomapny me to find a place, get the admissions done and also complete other formalities. After that I will be on my own till my husband joins me. Will the neighbours be as helpful as in India in case of emergency. I have a daughter too who will be a year and half old when I shift there. I am a bit scared.
    Any guidance will be a great help.
    Regards
    Pushpa

'

9. gurup83

gurup83 New IL'ite

Information required abt education in Australia

Hi, I'm holding Visa class 457 & i'm planning to fly with my family in Aug 09. I have a son who will turn 4 in Sep 09. Please let me know about the education system & about the school fees. As we are not holding a PR, about the medical insurance..We are going to settle down in sydney. 1. I would like to know place where south indian community r settled. 2. About the play school/ group. 3. How is the admission process in the school

10. jamada

jamada New IL'ite

Kids school issues

Hi,

I live in Sydney. I have a 6 year old who has started school this year and is already finished her 3rd term.

When my child started school, she had a friend whom she knew from childcare and was possessive about the other girl (Harini). So my child was being a bit rough and was not allowing the other girl(Harini) from playing with anybody else. I and Harini's mum are or were family friends too. She teacher probably told Harini's mum about this and also me about the same. My child accepted that she did this to Harini because she did not know how to handle this issue.At this stage, the teacher said that my child was being agressive.

When the teacher told this, I explained to my child that it is best for her to let Harini go. If it is a true friendship it will come back and that I explained to her so that so she could tackle her feelings emotionally. And things settled down.

Now, suddenly another girls mum( courtney) has mixed with Harini's mum.

Courtney's mum wrote an email to the teacher that courtney was getting unwanted attention from my child and that it was affecting her child's learning outcomes.. And told two instances that had happened on two days.
    1. when they were lining up, my child pushed courtney and the other child pushed my child back. In response my child pushed her harder.
    2. My child dragged ( I have understood that 'dragged' was just pulling by hand courtney's hand to come to play) courtney even when courtney said no. Then when courtney decided to go to a teacher, my child stopped her from doing this.

All this happened during lunch time it seems and the mum has written the email on the basis of what courtney has said. Courtney mum has told me before that she wanted to isolate all the stronger personality kids from her kid whom she believes has a weaker personality.

I spoke to my child and she has denied doing this. She said that they were lining up and by mistake she hit the girl in the front and courtney pushed back. And she denies doing it back again.

I don't understand why should my child give unwanted attention to courtney. Also, even if my child pushed courtney, courtney also pushed her once. Even if it is once or twice, a push is a push.

I am at a loss to understand how a parent can put such allegations on a child.

I also got back to the principal saying that they should not be labelling a child as agressive. The child can have social behaviour issues which can be tackled.

Please give me your suggestion on this issue.