1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

At the cross-roads..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SARASVADIVU, Feb 18, 2011.

1. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

"Ding ! Ding! Ding! " went the school bell..even the birds that were chirping in the mahogany trees stood up on their wings! There was a frenzied rush all over, each of us trying to become a 'Local Champion' {usage of this phrase courtesy : 'Indus Ladies'} in the 'mini - running race'....

Though the school bell goes at 3.30 p.m., I would have to be waiting for my brother to finish his karate class and pick me up at 4.00. That day, too, as usual in the process of waiting for him, I was trying to complete my home-work, ensconced for good in one of those wide cement benches,enough for a pot-bellied man to lay himself !!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I was simultaneously also playing a sponsor to a host of thought--processes : about having to feed 'Ahalya', my pet-goldfish...
    then go to the terrace with my comic book and mamma's special snack, 'Seedai'....
    hm! I've got to do some final touches to the greeting-card, I'm making for my class-teacher..it's her birthday tomorrow..then.."Hey! who's that ?"

I realised it was my school watch-man, asking me something; "Yemma, innum veetukku pola? mani anjavuthu". ( 'hey kid, why haven't you gone home yet? it's already 5.00)

Oh! my God, that was indeed a sheer shock!!?? Me, the sheepish, told him in what I thought was a "chivalrous " tone.(?) : ''Onnum prachnai illa thaatha, enakku veetukku pora vazhi theriyum." ( No problem ..I know the way to my home). With my book-bag in one hand and my lunch-bag, in another, I set out on my "Adventurous Voyage"!

All the streets looked the same..adding to my dilemma, was the white bougainvilla creepers, my only identity to find my home, adorning almost all the houses in the street.!! I was clearly stranded at a cross-road, wondering which way to take.

Out of nowhere appeared a stout man, with his eyes as red as tomato sauce..the very thought of tomato sauce, started to make me hungry; even during lunch, I had shared my curd -rice with Gayatri, as her lunch-box fell down during the recess.!!

'Ayyayo ..now the man seemed to be coming near; he and his dirty lungi and the shabby moustache. ..eeks!

Tired and worn-out, hungry and scared, I stood almost frozen....

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Dear saras,

Very nice. Your narrative style is too good :thumbsup :thumbsup

3. SARASVADIVU

Dear Icy Gal,

Such a liberal comment from you is a great boost to me. Thanq da!!

:cheers
    Sarasvadivu

4. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

What happened after that?

5. SARASVADIVU

Dear Malthi,

Thanx for stepping in; added to that your cuiosity to know what happens next..has kept me going!

Sarasvadivu

6. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

What happened her brother? Is it a dream? can't wait. Hurry up.

Snack- seedai. WOW. I am traveling back in time.

Good writing. Keep it up.
    CL

7. SARASVADIVU

Dear CL,

Your curiosity and encouragement keeps me going!!

Saras