1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

At Loggerheads With In-laws Again

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by candidheart, Feb 20, 2017.

1. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

Thanks yellow mango. yes too much negativity, with all the words spilled!. I do want to send a reply to the email with all due respect, as to why they feel it is disrepectful, but knowing my husband wont want me to, I am refraining from doing so and giving it some rest.

2. candidheart

I have gone through the same situation. we bought a house in my parents place (since my dad's friend was the builder and my dad was also in real estate , he got a good deal. he organized everything. Yet his parents did the grahapravesam. I was fine with that. she was so cheap that she didn't get a headcount of my dads friends who were invited and did not purchase a return gift for them while she bought only for her side. My dad bought for his friendswith his own money, though we were the ones sponsoring the event. That is her attitude. she just wants to show that she is the boys parents attitude!!. Then we bought another house , again they only did the function. So all along it has always been them!. So when do we get to do anything for ourselves?? Though irrelevant here, they took all the POA for both houses, and though my dad was fully taking care of one house , he had to send documents like rental agreement and everything for their approval..etc. See all this adds up

3. candidheart

Ok. Point taken. I never fought for this and May be I am wrong.

Thank you for this explanation. Since this is our first time, I was a bit overwhelmed with the prices, But like I mentioned in my original post itself, I wasn't planning to fight for it. So am good with this too

This is not upananyanam function, Dont really know much about that function. In our function The parents and kids get equal role to play and for the kid it is done before a certain age. (i think before puberty) if we miss it we can do before his marriage, something of that sorts.. See my issue was then when do we get to invite people, we'd be doing the same in our kids lives, never letting them take lead.... This is following for generations, they can take lead only in their childrens lives, we in our childrens lives, and I see that is a reason for all the problems. when we try to break such traditions, it backfires.
    my issue was, In the format we proposed, we did not omit them or anything like that. It is just a neutral one, including and giving importance to both sides of the family They are given the respect, but their issue is they should be the one inviting people and not including my parents name wherever their names are there (in two places, they want it only in one place not in the "thangal anbulla" part in the first page")

4. candidheart

@yellow Mango, @malstorm @luckywife , Thank you for understanding my POV. @JAG @sokanasanah Thank you for bringing in the different perspective to this. Yesterday at the heat of the moment, I was so enraged at their email, and I still am angry at how they spoke about my parents and wanted to cancel this function. But now I am rethinking my options after reading all your responses. two options

1. Have two invitations printed. one as per their format for their relatives, and second the format we suggested for our relatives.
    2. Or completely surrender to their wishes and make them happy and get it over with. Don't want any ill feelings around the function. like sokasanah said we need blessings and not curses. (sigh, the problem of being not too traditional and not too modern)

At this moment leaning towards the second option.

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Its ok..happens. Glad u vented it out here and not in an email to ur FIL . Emails letters...all these live forever and are subject to the interpretation of the reader. Also best to let the child talk to the parent. We have that golden rule at home. My DH will talk to his side and I to mine. Give yourselves some time. Call and talk to them. Both the options u have listed are not bad in themselves...its the way u are going to present. Tell them how thankful you are for all their help and ask them if its ok to print a second one...so ur friends and relatives on ur side who may not know grandparents name etc will be able to better understand the context of the invitation. IF u think its too risky ...go with option 2 and let it go.

vaidehi71 and sokanasanah like this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Look at it this way - the traditional part is how you deal with your elders; the modern part is how you deal with your children. That should be challenge enough.
    Don't do the "your side" / "my side" thing. I cannot stress this enough. That is asking for trouble. If you must, go for the mother-tongue / Sanskrit vs English option. In our family, everyone gets both invitations - even those who cannot read English!
    This - I mean the marquee billing - is not worth fighting over. Save your energy for substantive differences. There will be enough of those. In this situation, give in and do it graciously. Acknowledge them as elders, grandparents, and yes even as privileged in-laws in a patriarchal society. :lol:
    Give an inch and they'll take a mile is a natural thought - a lot depends on how you actually go about doing this.

justanothergirl and vaidehi71 like this.
  7. candidheart

I proposed the first option to mu husband and he feels still they would feel disrespected among my relatives(they have hardly interacted with my extended family or know them) anyways I gave him the second option, and the guy who was grim the whole day, finally loosened up. he sent a mail to them saying, we are fine with whatever you decide. let us not discuss much about the function.we will come and take part" I did it for his sake, but like yellow mango said I do feel very bitter. why would they want to remove the importance of my parents!! who are they to dictate? anyways I am right now thinking how very little time I can spend in their house when I am there. not many options for that too...

I feel like I have no place to go to after my parents. will try and make this my last India trip though.

sindmani, Cantdecide and Rihana like this.
  8. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

@candidheart, dont get dejected so much. Be happy you have people to fight with at the least :)

Anyway, coming to the arrangements, getting things ready over online may backfire at times once you see the original ! Also, your in-laws may have visited many other functions in person in India. If I were in your position,
    1. I would let my in-laws handle all arrangements, as the function is planned in their city and they are the elders
    2. Any communications to in-laws on arrangements will be ONLY through my husband.
    3. Praise my in-laws to every relative who attends that they did all the arrangements, and without their help the function would not have been a success.

Net-net you want a happy function. If you want to conduct a grand-function as per your taste, you should have been in India in-person to make the arrangements or outsource to a party-planner. When you take help, please be happy you have people to do them.

Just chill !

sindmani likes this.
  9. candidheart

ok I want to share how I really feel after giving them what they wanted.
    My husband is happy, like everything is normal or nothing really happened.(after such an emotionally blackmailing email)
    In laws I heard are happy that they get to decide everything, (or rejoicing in defeating DIL or still keeping son under control, or all of that together)
    My husband is spineless when it comes to his parents. Acting very normal after I said let them do as per their wish. Would he accept this if my parents were alive, and we said don't include your dead parents name.?.. Shallow selfish person.
    In laws always competed and tried to establish their supremacy over my parents when they were alive. even after they are gone, they still continue and stoop so low, in not having their names?? (just cannot digest this I cannot forgive myself for giving in to this, but it will be just me who will be dealing with it. Another reason I gave in, so my son would not get affected from all the arguments that may arise form prolonging the issue) .

One does not deserve respect because they age, their actions should. They should be ashamed.
    All this damage done just to boast among relatives, that they are the decision makers of the family? They can go to the extents of hurting their own son,just to keep their respect among relatives they hardly meet during occasions.

We do certain things to keep our sanity. But the resentment is growing. not that I will do anything to anyone because of it, but just want to let it out.... that I am hurting inside :)

sindmani, sumzaya and Cantdecide like this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op,if this event is not something that needs to be done now only,why don't you just postpone it for later.He is your son too and you should be happy too....Not seething in anger.

Read your other thread and the behavior of your husband and in law's was disgusting when your parents were sick and leaving this world.No wonder you feel so upset about your parents not getting their rightful honor even after death.

Hugs to you .

sindmani and songbird46 like this.