1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

ASWATHAMA HATHA...kunjaraha!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sriniketan,

thanks for stepping in.......

It is always better to think, analyse before we decide. but sometimes, you need to take a decision on the spot, and the circumstances do play a important role then.....

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi vidhi,

Thanks for stepping in.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi Aruna

Yes. Krishna knew that Drona has utmost confidence in yudhistra..that is why he was chosen to do the job..not anybody else.....

4. mkthpavi

mkthpavi Senior IL'ite

Dear Shanti,
    I actually read this blog only today..and hence the delayed comment :D Hope u dont mind.
    I am not too sure...but one version of Mahabharata that I've heard is that Ashwatama was "cursed" with immortality by Lord Krishna, only towards the end of the war, when the Pandavas came to know that Ashwatama had killed their sons by treachery (fire..I think). Until this moment, Ashwatama was like any other warrior...
    Have you come across this version of the story too?

In any case, I liked the way you have explained the incident and related it to real life...in modern times, with so much competition, it is becoming difficult to distinguish friends from foes many times :)

Thanks
    Pavithra

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Yes,there are many versions of the story.....there is one that says Drona got this boon for his son, and Ashwathama has a mani..which protects the the wearer from fear from weapons or disease or hunger.

The other version which says it is a curse goes like this....

After the death of Drona, Duryodhana appoints Ashwathama as the commander in chief . Ashwathama, to avenge his father's death sneaks into the Pandava army camp in the night and kills five sons of arjuna thinking that they are pandavas themselves.
    Arjuna gets mad.In the war,when ashwathama & Arjuna meet,they both use brahma astra.Since it was catastrophic, they are both asked to withdraw. Arjuna complies but Ashwathama refuses and so Krishna uses his divine powers to stop it.

,Krishna curses him because of his refusal..
    "Since you thought your victory depends on death of others,your defeat will depend on your living till eternity..Ashwathama becomes a chiranjeevi.Krishna then plucks out a jewel which was in Ashwathama's head from the moment he was born and this causes him lot of pain.
    Thus Ashwathama has to withstand all the pain and he has no death to relieve him of that pain.
    And people say that he is still living with the pain..and a belief that he is living in a cave is there in v24's answer...