1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Asking For A Friend. How Do I Help Her Overcome Her Anxiety ?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by gknew, May 2, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Asking for my friend. She was playing with her 8yr old son yesterday in the bed. Her son kicked her stomach by mistake while playing. BTW,She is not pregnant.

She felt shocked for a second and felt like passing urine. After she used the bathroom, she was fine. But still she is so worried if something happened internally. She said she feel like passing urine for sometime and then it goes off. She called me yesterday evening and talked to me about this. She is my neighbor and we have a good relationship. But she will be overreacting when it comes to her kids. She have one 8yr old son and one 4yr old daughter. She always talk to me about them and panick about the activities they do. I used to calm her and say that kids are kids. She will get very nervous and anxiety about kids behavior and activities. I would say she has medical anxiety.
    So for yesterday incident, she was now worried about if the sudden kick harms anything internally. Since she felt shock during the kick and felt like passing urine. She is so worried about it. I calmed her yesterday and said it will be fine.
    She called me again today and said it's still the same feeling. She have the feel of passing urine often. But passing only the small quantity. She is freaking me out whether it's ok.
    She will check with the doctor based on the availability. Meanwhile, I am just trying to calm her mental state and how do I help her to overcome this?

2. AmulB

AmulB Silver IL'ite

Maybe try assuring her saying if anything serious happens she would feel some major symptoms like pain or anything. I got kicked by my elder kid when I was preg w second one. Me too panicked but I gave it sometime for the pain to subside and called my obg gyn and scheduled an apt to get it checked. It was all ok. You feel shocked w sudden pain which is unexpected but our body will tell if something is wrong and then u need to act accordingly. Maybe tell her the same. Ask her to make kids realize she’s in pain after that behavior and they cannot repeat that. Though she’s isn’t pregnant but I wouldn’t worry if she s not in continuous pain or developed any other complications after the incident. She should come up w a strategy to deal w kids.
    With the lockdown kids might be feeling suffocated and restless. She might try new ways to keep them occupied. Playing w colors, games or crafts etc and playtime in the back yard or upstairs if in India.

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Everyone has their own insecurities and this is your friends’s insecurity.One need not see a doctor right away..Good communication with her is important from a trust worthy person.

As you are close to her and she reveals what she feels,you can sit and have a heartfelt talk with her to help her.Most if the emotional and mental problems stem from people not able to express themselves and have someone hear it out,Advice in a calm Manner.Tell her that every mom faces fears for their kids and that you totally understand and how it can be resolved.You can try and counsel her and surely it will reduce to a great extent.If still she overdoes,a doctor can be suggested.

sandhya2020 likes this.