1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Queries Here on Crafts&Crochet work

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by Chitra29, Apr 28, 2009.

1. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi sreeragava, If you don't have a pattern you can make one using graph sheet. Decide the length of the shawl by counting the foundation chains. Based on the kind of stitch you are going to use, calculate the border portion you need, the remaining space can be equally divided of the body and the name, based on the number of letters you are going to use for your niece's name. Wish you all the best.

2. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi keethi, if you are enquiring about crochet, woollen yarn is the best for the beginners to learn the art and it is less strenous to your eyes. You can make, learn and see the stitches clearly.

I am not sure about the brands available in your place. But a good yarn will stay intact even after a wash.

To begin with, you start learning making chains. Then learn the different stitches. Start making doilies. Once you become perfect in making shapes, you can attempt other decorative items or apparels. Wish you all the best and happy crocheting.

3. sreeragava

sreeragava New IL'ite

thankq mira i will try ur suggestion

4. harini

harini New IL'ite

hi ladies,
    i am planning to learn knitting.i dont what are the materials we needed for that.can anybody help me mentioning about the materials will be a great helpful to me.

5. resmirin

resmirin New IL'ite

Hi Harini,

All what you need to learn knitting are the knitting needles, yarn, stitch markers (if required) and reference to some sites or books to learn the basics of knitting.

Happy learning! :)

Regards,
    Resmi

6. harini

harini New IL'ite

thanks for your reply.but there are different kinds of needles available and of different sizes.which should i use.as i am trying to learn by myself.i couldnt find anyone here near to teach.

7. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Harini, ILite nityakalyani is an experienced knitter and will surely help you on your query. I will also put a word to her on your query. Keep checking this page. Meanwhile go through this post which may be of help to you.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Harini, knitting needles (single pointed) have sizes from 0,1 to 16. 0 is the thickest while 16 is thinnest one. these are used depending on the yarn, and the design. sometimes you get thick yarn and using a 10, 8 number and making a pattern gives you a nice thick guage..and the yarn cannot be managed on 16...

if you are trying to learn start with a garter stitch..first castons should be learnt to..i am sure it is available on you tube.

coming to other types..double pointed are used when you have to knit from either side.

then there is circular knitting needles, that can be used to knit sweaters, and things in a single piece and then divided from the armhole..even both double, and circular have most of the thickness that is available with single point.

a stitchmarker, cable needle are optional at the initial stage.

9. harini

harini New IL'ite

thank you the reply.but still as a beginner which needle should i use.what is the first step i hav to.

10. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Welcome to th
    e knitting world in IL Harini. I am also a knitter and I shall try my best to clera your doubts

1. The basic tools that are required for knitting are:
    knitting tools.jpg
    2. You eill need to follow the size of needle as specified in the pattern

Knitting needles comes in pairs. They come in a wide rande of sizes. From 2mm to 17 mm in diameter. They come in various metals like metal, plastic, wood and bamboo. Choose a type that you can comfortably knit.Needles also come in several length to accomodate different numbers of stitches

converting needle size.jpg

Hope these details will be useful.

Please do forward the pattern and I shall help you to proceed accordingly