Ask here - The recipes you want from ChitVish

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear VLR,
    Khus khus is poppy seeds, right. It gives a unique flavour besides thickening. If you omit it, add cashew.Or use melon seeds after soaking.
    Do not bother aout the garlic part - safely omit though the flavour may be missing! V does not eat garlic or onion!! It will taste quite good.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Chithra, My dear!

Ahaaa! I'm on cloud nine....

Thank you very much. Will find it out, follow the 'anbu directions' and get back to you with the results.

This is Amma's fav....So, learning from you...

Love,

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  3. shyamalashiva

shyamalashiva Senior IL'ite

Hello Chitra mam,

Sorry for the late reply. I have 5 month old baby girl and She is using all my time when she is wake..
    Thanks for the coffee preparation link.. I got it but I am yet to try it.. is it the same amount of water even if we prepare in electric coffee maker.. also can you suggest a good coffee powder brand.. currently I am using Coffee Day coffee. Thanks a ton.

Also, yesterday was my husband's birthday and I made Ashoka Halwa.. It was very good.. my hubby was all praises.. He told my in-laws too..

Thanks again.

Shyamii

4. Chitvish

Dear Shyamii,
    Do not overly bother about the delay in replying me - with a baby to look after, 24 hrs just go fast.
    Yes, for coffee maker, it can be a we bit less water, thats all.
    I buy Kumbakonam degree coffee powder from Brahmalaya - they have branches all over Chennai. Coffee Day & Leo are also good - use half Pl A + Haf Pb.
    Thanks for the FB. If you buy Ashoka Halwa in Surya, you will know, how economical, it is to make at home!
    Love,
    Chithra.

5. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

• Dear Chithra
    I tried your Maida-Besan Burfi last night. Suddenly I had a doubt. I need your clarification. There was no mention of when we need to use the Ghee, though it said as per below which was same for Ashoka Halwa also.

• "In the next stove heat ghee in a kadai. .
    • To that add (wheat flour and cashews) (Besan & Maida).
    • Fry on a slow fire till there is a nice roasted aroma and the colour changes".
    In the full qty of ghee, should we put the ingredient (atta / besan or maida) and roast?. I put in a little ghee and roasted the nuts and the atta. Then started with sugar syrup and continued. But after that no ghee adding was mentioned. I was little confused. If I had missed to read:idea. Then I myself added and continued as for regular mysorepak.........but it became little harder and not soft as mysorepa.

Now can you tell me if we have to roast the atta in the full measurement of ghee given in the recipe or we can add the ghee after we roasted it?

Secondly, what is the use of Javitri - is it onion flower? can this be used in any North Indian dish?

Sorry to trouble you. Thanks.

Warm Regards
    Shanti
    30-4-08

6. Chitvish

Dear Shanti,
    You must use the full amount of ghee for roasting. Only then, lumps will be avoided & the consistency of the final product will be good.Perhaps that is why you did'nt get the right consistency.
    Javithri is similar to jathikkai or nutmeg flavour.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. VLR

VLR Silver IL'ite

Thanks Chitra mam.. I am surprised you find time to patiently reply to all our questions !
    Your recipe list has really inspired me to take more interest in cooking..your tips section is very useful.:thankyou2:

8. Chitvish

Dear VLR,
    Posts like yours boost up my interest to serve ILites better (only!) in the arena of cooking!
    Bow Bow Bow
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. avita

avita Senior IL'ite

hi chitra mam
    ur recipe list are really superb.u can start a thread for kids recipe,it wil very useful i think,if its alread there its wel and gud.My sis has 7 month old kid,wat type of food can b given to d kid?
    i want to know the recipe for andhra famous miram(chutney).

10. Chitvish

Re: Check here - The Recipes Index

Dear Avita,
    2 yrs back, I got the recipe from a friend, tried it & took a photo as well. But now I find that the recipe is missing - probably a computer virus which affected my system last year has deleted it.I do not want to post it, depending on my memory!
    I will keep your request in mind.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.