Ask here - The recipes you want from ChitVish

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pebblebeach

pebblebeach Senior IL'ite

Hi Chitra,
    How are you? Can you tell me some recipes.

1. Udipappu pachady (Urad dal Chutney)
    2. Beerakay Pachady (Ridge Gourd Chutney)

thanks

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Devi Raja,
    In the A-Z recipe thread, please go to brinjal dishes. I have given it as Bhagara Baingan. It is one of the most tasty brinjal dishes!
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

Dear Pebblebeach,
    I am giving the versions of my Andhra friend:
    Udipappu pachadi:
    Dry roast 2 tbsp urad dhal till golden & keep aside. Add copra - 2 tbsp, red chilli powder 1-2 tsp, tamarind, jaggery, salt & little water & grind to a paste. Temper in oil with mustard seeds & curry leaves.
    2. Beerakay Pachady (Ridge Gourd Chutney)
    Peel only the thick hard skin & slice with the tender flesh. Fry with few green chillies & garlic flakes till raw flavour goes. Add fresh grated coconut at the end for a mte, remove, cool & grind coarsely with salt. Temper in oil with mustard seeds .
    Do try & let me know.
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  4. pebblebeach

pebblebeach Senior IL'ite

Thank you Chitra for the recipes and also for such a quick reply. Was looking for these recipes from a long time.

Can u tell me how to choose the ridge gourds while buying? I always end up getting the bitter ones and had to throw them out.

thanks

5. Chitvish

Dear PB,
    To test ridgegourds, we have to chop a small piece & taste - that is sadly the only way !
    Select tender ones; but test each for bitterness & then chop & use.
    We cannot judge by the appearance.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. Zeenth

Zeenth New IL'ite

raw rice

Dear Chitraji,

no words to tell abt your recipes......have tried many.......here is one doubt.. in the recipes given below......raw rice is used.....the way u present tempts diabetic patients too.....for vellai paniyaram..morappam...pollal vadai...vellayappam....can we substitute boiled rice...........:idontgetit:l

Zee.....

7. hasita

hasita Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cm,
    I'm back here after a very long time.
    Firstly, I'd forgotten to say thanks for the cookie on March 29. thanks! Was real yummy! If there were not so many of us, I might've helped myself to another one..:drool

Wanted to ask a couple of qs:
    1 - what was the name of the cookie you brought on Saturday last? Was it Viennese Walnut Cookies?
    If something else, which recipe exactly - hope it is on your index :)

2 - Also, Dh has gone and purchased a gas tandoor on a whim - I usually use this to make "Baked dish" ("au gratin" it is called if i am correct) and Garlic cheese toast.

But in addition to that, I wanted to know whether I can try out something like nankhatai, or a simple cake in it.. any ideas or suggestions?

best,
    hasita

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  8. Chitvish

Dear Hasita,
    What I brought on Sat is eggless walnut bonbons ! That day was the first trial - I have not yet posted it. If you want it, please Pm me - I will send it.
    Gas tandoor is not suitable for cakes etc, sadly ! You can make naan, perhaps pizza, tandoori rioti etc.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Re: Raghi recipes

Dear Chithra ma'am

I am going through your recipes one after another, vow, so many are there. Still have not been able to complete looking at them, forget to remember them.

I have a query. I understand that Raghi is good for health especially during Summer months. Since summer is about to start its peak, I wish to know recipes for food / snacks made of Raghi. I saw there are two in your list, but both are sweet items. I wish to have non-sweet ones if any.

Last but not the least, I enjoyed reading your Kitchen tips only today. It was wonderful. I always admire your vast, cooking knowledge, talented presentation, now the kitchen tips really topped them all. EXCELLENT tips. I really wish I could meet you some day, some time.

Finally, I am unable to open :droolmany of the photographs that get attached with your recipes and also your kitchen. The pop up message says that "I have no access" or "not activated".

Please guide me through to open them.

Thanks and Warm Regards
    Shanti Subramanian
    3-4-08

10. Chitvish

Dear Shanti,
    I have given many ragi savoury recipes - please go through all pages in the recipe index in detail. I have given kali, dosai, oothappam, upma etc.Or wait till I reach R in A-Z indexing!
    Till you cross 50 posts, you cannot view attachments. Please go to
    2.5 Lakh posts in IL & Member Status Changes!
    Do interact in forums & threads that interest you & you will cross 50 quickly. Thn it is all yours.
    You have been generous in your words of praise - how do I thank you enough?
    Love,
    Chithra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.