Ask here - The recipes you want from ChitVish

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Your post is interesting, Vidya !

That your mother is preparing for Chitvish exam, made very jovial reading, honestly ! Please send the list of names that do not link to recipe pages to Laxmi by P M without fail.
    I have a juicer - not for citrus, but for hard fruits & vegs, like carrots, cucumbers etc. It is a centrifugal juicer. Between the following fruits & vegs, I vary combinations - carrots, cucumber, tomato, pears, apples, guavas, grapes, water melons etc. I definitely add ginger & " nattu sakkarai" to all juices. Not a drop of water is necessary. Yesterday I used water melon, grapes, carrots, cucumber & tomatoes. This juicer costs only 1000rs, but is real worth for money.
    Lapsi halwa is ready to be posted, but for no reason getting postponed.
    Really that recipe & pineapple cream are my " sonda sahithyam" ! What I made for Varalotti was pineapple jelly cream with strawberry jelly as well. This has china grass, milk & cream. I just tried & it clicked ! I will post the recipe shortly - too simple, actually. We, Chennai I L ites will have a gala get together when Vidya 24 makes a trip to Chennai, next - deal, my dear friend !
    Love & regards,
    chithra.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Getting influenced!

Dear Chitra,

I thought, after our recent move, not to buy a single gadget more! Now I am looking for then next chance to buy a juicer:))
    Wish I could plan my visit with that of Vidya and meet her also there:)
    I am looking for khara chutney recipe and can't find it:( Going to make vellai paniyaram. If we can't be with you to taste the goodies, the least we can do it make it ourselves! So here goes the vellaipaniyaram:)

L, Kamla

3. Chitvish

Nice one from you, Kamla !

Do make it with Vidya - we three will paint the town red - ha ha ha !
    Juicer, I can't help saying is one of my best buys in recent years !
    Kara chutney is in
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11639&postcount=59
    Enjoy vellai paniyaram - it ranks among my eternal top favourites !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

About naan, Sudha..

Dear Sudha,

Just read your query about naan. I too was making naans with the electric oven and dry yeast in Germany. The trick is to see that the dough raises well. When using dry yeast, add an additional hr or two to help the yeast work well. Pre-heat your oven till it is really hot. Roast the naan on a dry tawa till the bottom is well done. Brush the top with a bit of water or milk and sprinkle sesame or kalonji and now place it in the hot oven. It raises and the top gets a golden hue. Now remove, smear with butter/margarine and keep aside wrapped in a kitchen cloth. Do not leave it too long in the oven which crisps it.
    Guten Appetit!

PS: You can also use the broiler, that works real well too.

L,Kamla

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  5. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Clarifications....

Hello Mrs.Chithra,

Few clarifications required-

1) As u must be knowing, here we get many varities of mushroom...so wanted to clarify as to which mushroom can be used for preparing Celery-mushroom rice and cream of mushroom.

2) For Manjal Pongal saadam, which Moong dhal (Whole green ones or split green ones or split yellow ones), is it not required to soak the dhal??

3) Also, I guess u missed out this post of mine http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16482&postcount=1337

Thank you in advance.

Warm Regards,
    Jay

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  6. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

Doubts and a request!

Dear Mrs.C
    1) For Pidi kozhukattai you have mentioned "Boiled rice rava ( Bombay rava size & fine flour sieved) ".
    I don't understand the meaning.Does it mean i can use bombay rava and rice flour?am confused
    2)Interesting to read about your welcome drink for the get together.So you just need vegetables,ginger and sugar?Nothing else?
    3)Can you please post the recipe for stuffed brinjal?Am still floundering with the one i have now.

Love
    Suba

7. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks Kamala, ..i did get some help from Vidhya too abt the oven suggestions, but i left it too long i guess....also for dry yeast here...Hefe....will that 1 small packet be enough for 2 cups of maida...my dough also had not risen so much....anyway that was first trial...well try again with all your help and suggestions andpost FB soon. Ca we make in aata instaed of maida...has anyone tried tomake naan with aata....suggestions welcome!:-D

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Naan again!

Hey Sudha,

You need only about half a packet of dry Hefe for two cups. Note that the packet usually says it is meant for 500gms of Mehl..as far as I can remembr. If your two cups of flour weigh 500 gms, which I doubt, then yes. The trick is to use a half a teaspoon of sugar along with the Hefe/yeast. That always helps the yeast to work better.

Yes, I have tried with atta and it does work!

Enjoy:)...L, Kamla

9. Chitvish

Jay, your queris answered !

For any mushroom preparation, I generally use white button mushroom.
    For manjal pongal sadam, use yellow, broken moong dhal - " udaitha paasipparuppu".
    Cantaloupe - you can use for kootu, sambar etc. I use it just like parangikkai.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Chitvish

Hello Suba !

Ennai kathirikkai is already posted.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2152&postcount=1
    Boiled rice rava is " puzungarisi kurunai ", used for idlis also.
    Yes, juice needs only vegs + fruits, ginger ( optional ) + " nattu sakkarai"
    You can use plain white sugar or a dash of salt & pepper. Do not add water.
    In Chennai, plain carrot juice is very popular - a few mint leaves may be added.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.