Ask here - The recipes you want from ChitVish

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

Dear chitvish,

txs for ur recipes but i need puries reecipe in panipuri .secondely can seekh kebab be grilled in oven . pls tell me . plus is there any substitute for channa as i am allergic to this
    txs

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sorry Heena !

I do not think I can help you - I never make puri at home. May be somebody else can give you the recipe.
    Channa cannot be substituted as far as i know.
    This kabab is only deepfried & not grilled.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. chatkara_tasty

dear chitvish madam,

u should not say sorry i am feeling bad . any way txs for ur precious time . actualy i don't get indain things in china and very much fond of panipuri .still txs a lot
    with love

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Puri for gol gappas

Dear Heena,

I am giving this recipe from the back of my head, made it years ago and it was quite good.

Make dough of half atta and half maida with rice kanji,salt and soda. Make puris and fry. They will stay puffed for some time.

Experiment once.

Shall post pista kulfi on thursday.

regards
    Vidya

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Request.

Hi Mrs.Chithra,

Long time, have been wanting to try okra thro MW. Hope that will fulfill through you, isnt it?? The main reason is that here, okra is not tender like in Chennai and also, while we stir for a long time, the color, taste everything is getting changed. Hence, am eagerly awaiting for MW okra curry.

And, one more spiritual related query-for any God/Goddess applying kumkum, which one is the best alongwith the above-manjal or sandhanam or any?

Thanks n bye.

6. Chitvish

Hello Ami !

Cut okra into 1 cm pieces & spread well on a plate to be completely free from moisture. Now smear little lime juice & haldi all over with hand, to prevent stickiness. Steam using a MW steamer for 6-8 mts, depending on the quantity. Cool.
    Heat oil in a kadai, temper mustard seeds, urad dhal, curry leaves & finally salt. Fry once & then add steamed okra. Add masalas as per your routine & proceed. I always do it this way successfully. Brinjal, also, I do the same way, but I don't add lime juice.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.
    Along with kumkum, chandanam is first choice. If you don't get it, use haldi, nothing wrong.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  7. chatkara_tasty

dear vidya24,
    txs for ur recipe . i am going to try this and let u know.i hv a doubt what is this rice kanjiis ? do u mean by rice flour .
    bingo waiting for pista kulfi . txs in advance
    with love

8. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

Biryani doubt!

Dear Mrs.Chithra
    Planning to make veggie briyani tomm.Please tell me how long i should soak the masala in curd?
    I'll log back in the morning for your response as its already late here.

Love
    Suba

9. Chitvish

Doubt cleared, Suba !

Soaking for 1 hr is good enough.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

My pani poori recipe..

Dear C_tasty..

I just now read about your question for panipoori recipe. Vidya has given you one and I don't know if you have tried it. I thought I'd give my recipe too which I have done several times with success.

1 cup Maida (plain flour) : 1 cup fine rava (sooji)
    1 Tspn oil
    1 Tspn salt

Make a fairly stiff dough kneading for some time. Make big balls and roll out into big squares or circles and then cut out small discs the size of pani poories. Use a pastry cutter or a small steel or glass cup that you have at home. Fry in hot oil till they puff up. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. A tip to keep your poories crisp longer is to keep the drained poories in a warm oven for about 15 or 20 mins. Then remove them , cool and store in an air tight container. This will keep good for atleast two weeks, if not longer. Have fun. We too are all chat fans at home!

Note: The above amount makes atleast 100 to 130 poories depending on the size of the cup you use.

As for substituting chana, you can use soaked and boiled gram dhal if you can tolerate that. If not, try kidney beans or black eyed peas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.