1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ashamed Of Childish Behavior --- Screwed Things Up

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ChennaiExpress, Sep 6, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

I'm really ashamed of losing my temper when talking with my Mother few days back.

I was already upset about past events and the unfairness.

My Mother (as usual) said something sarcastic, but instead of having the strength to make a corney/childish joke (that is my coping mechanism), I got angry, screaming, "Why are you torturing me, I am your daughter, you treat me lower than a servant" (because she badmouths our family to others, and still takes my abusive ex's side, plus she contributed towards my miscarriage).

My screaming woke up my Dad who has sleeping problems, and I went to office with contorted face (had lollypop glasses to cover my face during commute)

My Mother won't talk to me (I'm actually glad), but now I do her share of the chores (she still does some stuff for me).

At night when I tell Dad "be well', he said "yeah right, you are not helping by losing your temperature".

It has been several days, and Dad especially is upset I lost my temper. He was trying to patch things up in our family and I said I smashed it. He asks what did I gain by getting angry and losing temper, toxic Mother will never change.

I am feeling very bad right now that I screwed things up and made things even harder for my Dad.

Honestly I wish I can move out. How would I help Dad day-to-day? And the rentals near my works are super high (even a studio is more than my take-home bi-weekly pay). Plus the more affordable areas are crime-ridden.

Just very upset. I screwed up.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

CE,
    Such things happen when we are stressed; this too shall pass! After all, we are human, ignore and cheer up.

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Don't feel guilty about losing you temper once in a while on someone who deserves it as long as it does not become a habit.

Better to scream it out once in a while than bottle it up and spoil your mental health.

Don't take your dad's words seriously.
    Enjoy the peace of not talking for sometime.

Don't think of moving out if it is going to cause stress.
    Instead ,concentrate on living your life the way you want in your house for the time being.

4. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Move out. The whole situation is just beyond...

Your mom may be toxic but your dad enables her and forces you to do the same. Did he ever protect you effectively in any of those instances?

Sorry if I sound harsh but I see your threads asking for help all over the place. Google ‘ surrogate spouse’ and read up on it. You will hate me no doubt but there is some truth there.

nakshatra1 and NeetaR like this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

I'll try to cheer up

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  6. ChennaiExpress

Ok, at least I am getting peace by not hearing the nonsense talk.

Trying to make the most of my life :)

7. ChennaiExpress

Initially my Dad never understood how toxic my Mother was till he was the target. Now he is actively trying to protect me (to best of his capacity)

If the gender roles were reversed, would I still be "surrogate spouse".

True, my Mother is happy my Dad is facing health problems, so someone has to step in.

Reason I ask for help "all over the place" is because the people on this forum are relatively polite and trustworthy (so far), have similar background, or at least can relate.

And no, I don't hate you.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  8. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

is that really true? You have to ask yourself these hard questions. Or is he just maintaining the status quo because he benefits from it. Another hard question- how does this ‘need to preserve the status quo’ benefit you long term? It does not.
    The way it is defined - yes
    No it is not your place to step in.
    There is a boundary there which is missing for you. The lack of that boundary has developmentally affected you a lot. It is for you to explore exactly how and heal yourself but step one is to recognize it and step away for your own sake.
    You misunderstood me. I don’t have a problem with your asking for help here or anywhere. But all your threads have a common basis and boil down to the same basic issue. And no, dear, your situation is not something most can relate to. It is not common or normal to be so enmeshed

sbonigala likes this.
  9. ChennaiExpress

If I could move, I would. I'm trying to bump up my skills so I can get better paying job and move elsewhere.

Also trying to make offline friends so things open up.

You seem more fired up that I'm taking care of Dad than I lost temper.

And my Mother is still so angry so even returned all the paintings I gifted her!

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

From what I have read and understood, your mom is the main cause of all your problems. Why can't you just ask her to leave the house??