Arts colleges in Chennai

Discussion in 'Chennai' started by AnithaA, Mar 19, 2008.

1. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

I know a girl who has just written her 12th board exams in the commerce stream. She has asked me about the colleges in Chennai where she can apply for B.Com. As she is not from a very well to do family, she will not be able to afford very high fees unless she gets some scholarship. Can someone suggest good colleges in Chennai where she can apply? She is a good student and is confident of getting atleast 90%. This girl has really worked hard all through. Due to inconveniences in her house, she used to come and sit on our staircase and read under those lights till late in the night. I really want to help this girl. As I have no idea about good colleges for commerce and the fees they charge, I'm asking you folks at IL to help name a few colleges. Also do let me know if you know of any scholarships this girl can apply for.

Regards,
    Anitha

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi AnithaA,

I may be able to help this girl. Will send pm to you after checking thedetails

until then let others give details of other colleges

i wil start with

JAins college, meenambakkam

3. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,

Thank you for such a prompt reply. I have a couple of questions - How difficult will it be for this girl to get a seat in Meenakshi(Kodambakkam) or MOP Vaishnav(Nungambakam) ? Am asking because the girl would be thrilled if she gets to go here. Also, do you have any idea about the SNDB Vaishnav College for Women in Chomepet? Somebody mentioned this college, so want to know about it. Thanks again!

Regards,
    Anitha

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

anithaA,

If i am not wrong it would be Honeytha, who did in chromepet SNDB.

MOP is a little tough. that too b.com is too much in demand.

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

If the girl is confident that she will get good percentage, then she can actually demand admission. Ask her to apply to the colleges she wants to study in. One she gets the results and mark sheet, she should go to the concerned college, meet the authorities and can ask for admission inperson. She will get the call letter too, if marks are good.
    As far as Chennai is concerned, I have found in my experience, that if you approach people directly they help you always. She need not worry at all. All the best to her.

She can get educational loan also for paying the fees. I guess there is a scheme in the Centre that gives scholarship to only girl child in the family. If I get the details I shall post it here.

6. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Dear Varloo,

Thanks for your FB. She is not an only girl child......she is third in a family of 4 girls! And she is the only one who has completed her 12th as of now! So her elder sisters cannot help her either. Thats why this thread.........to help her find some good colleges in Chennai. Thanks again.

Regards,
    Anitha

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

She could try in Ethiraj College for Women too.

8. Honeytha

Honeytha Senior IL'ite

Hai Anitha,

Fees will be high in case of MOP, Ethiraj, Stella, SIET etc................according to me. But you can try with SDNB Vaishnav as i told u before. All the best for that girl and i can also help her out for her admission, i will check and get back to you..........

9. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sunitha and Honeytha,

Thanks a lot! Honeytha, I will certainly ask her to apply in SNDB. Currently I am trying to find scholarships for this girl. As for the fees, she is trying only for the morning batch. Also, in case the girl gets no/less scholarship, the fees can be taken care of. I am just trying to make things better for that girl. :)
    Do let me know of any more colleges for B Com. It will be better for her to apply to a few of them instead of just a couple. Thanks again!

Regards,
    Anitha

10. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks to Anitha for talking about college!!

I am a pass out of b.com at MOP. It is a lovely place to study, and the kind of exposure we get is enormous. Of course, it is expensive. They give a lot of scholar ships, and also assistance will be given if she wants to work part time. Admissions are very difficult, and for around 250 seats in B.com, they get some 4000 applications. Tht too, securing in day college is even tougher.

I am not too sure of SDNB. But, I think WCC and Ethiraj are good places with less fess. Infact, Ethiraj has very less fees.

If she is a non-FC, then 90% is sufficient at MOP. For FC's it is atleast 95% ( I barely scrapped thro with around 94.4%).

Even if B.com is not available, there are lot of good courses like B.com (Corporate Secretariship), BBA, BISM at all colleges. Atleast at MOP.

P.S: I hope this is not like a advertisement for MOP!! But yes, tell her to try hard and be perseverent in gettig admissions. They will make her come for a week, before they say yes. But, it is worth the wait,

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008