1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Articles With Simple Words Do Not Draw Attn Am I Right

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Jun 9, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Keen to leapfrog my readership numbers to the top, I was eager to take counsel of the "Big B". On being ushered in, I understood immediately why people sought the great man's help. A splendid figure with a piercing gaze, suggesting superior intellect, and a serene smile, I felt honoured to be granted an audience. <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

Coming straight to the point "what seems to be the problem" asked the "Big B" with a serene smile. I explained the need to improve my readership numbers to boost my standing in the blogsphere.

Why do you write asked the “Big B” with a serene smile. "I feel so 'emotionally erect' when I write" I told him truthfully. I could see he was a little taken aback with my forthrightness. "Let me have a look at your work" he pressed on with a serene smile. I was prepared and handed over a bound file with all my creative input in it.

I watched him scan my work. Was it my imagination or did I detect just a hint of disdain?

"I see the problem" said the "Big B" with a serene smile. "You are not using 'the words'.

"Words"? No “the words” he repeated again with a serene smile. "I don't see any of 'the words' in your writings that will separate you from the crowd" continued the Big B with a serene smile.

"What kind of words" I asked with just a hint of belligerence.

Anticipating my question he said "Doppelganger" with a sweep of his hand.

I stared at him bewildered. "What has a trapeze artist got to do with my blogs", I asked plaintively.

The serene smile slipped a little. But he bounced back. "A doppelganger is another word for twin or mirror image" he explained with a serene smile (That @#&$#!!! smile ). "Hmmm" I said taking notes.

"What else have you got" I asked a little brusquely

"Leitmotif" he exclaimed and hurriedly added "no it has nothing to do with trains or locomotives" by now probably recognizing my one-dimensional thinking. The serene smile had become frayed at the edges, I couldn't help noticing.

"Kitsch" he said, a trifle loudly I thought. "How do you know I am having trouble with my car gears" I remarked jocularly. Wrong thing to say. The piercing gaze had turned icy and the serene smile had all but disappeared.

"Ersatz, Angst, Chutzpah" he carried on relentlessly. "These are 'the words' you need to use if you wish to gain respect of your fellow bloggers, they will make you appear intellectual, intelligent and set you apart".

"Hmmm" A sudden thought stuck me "Will most people understand what these words mean?" "That's immaterial" his impatience with me breaking through. "But I thought the purpose of writing is to reach out to your readers" I persisted.

"With a name like Socrates you cannot afford to be understood by the common bloggers!!!" he almost bellowed. "You need to use 'the words', people don't read to understand" he said calming down a little.

I understood that I had to learn to use “the words” to improve readership. More people would read my blogs, by understanding less of what I write!!! I felt a warm glow enveloping me. I understood how Siddharta must have felt on become the Buddha.

"I guess it is the spirit of the times" I remarked to the "Big B". "Zeitgeist" he roared triumphantly as I beat a hasty retreat.
    AFTER READING THIS PIECE FELT MAY BE THAT IS Y I DONT GET GREAT FB AM I RIGHT, BROUGHT TO U BY SUNKAN

2. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sundari,
    Eventhough you have written this article with a pinch of humour to leapfrog your readership numbers to the top i think "Big B" would not be of much help in this matter!(Poor man! He is himself in a quagmire with the courts haunting him day in and day out. I think he has a knack of getting himself into trouble one way or the other!)
    My personal opinion is anything that is original, right out of the heart, simple to understand and conveys the message in a short and crisp manner is well received. I have also observed that postings done on week ends do not get much response!Though a lot of people may read the postings, very few ppl reply.
    Even if one person could benefit out of my writings, I would continue to write whenever I find time.
    I keep reading all your posts even though I may not be replying to all of them either due to lack of time.
    Regards,
    Malathi

1 person likes this.
  3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007