Art of Living members....meet here!!

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by raginiprakash, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Q & A with our Beloved Guruji.

Q: When we are made of the same consciousness why do peole behave differently?
    Sri Sri :Each ones thumb impression is different, unique. Everyone is same yet different. Infact if you have never got confused read Vedanta. Everything is nothing and Nothing is everything. Physicist, top scientists will understand it. Everything comes out of a black hole and goes into it.The proportion between the space between two galaxies is the same as the space between two atoms.
    Buddhism in Hart Sutra says the same, so do the Sufis.
    In the IX Chapter of Bhagwat Gita Krishna says 5 elements are in me and I am in them. But I am not in them. If you have got confused then it is good. Pashyame Yogamaishwaryam, this is the glory of Yoga. Also this is Raja Vidya- The Royal Secret. Mahatma Gandhiji has written a commentary on this IX chapter of Bhagawat Gita, the first and second verse. Con-fusion is fusion with the Cosmos.

Q: Why is there an outburst from nature in the form of floods etc.,
    Sri Sri : Celebrate when you are in harmony. And do service when there is disharmony in the environment. You toss a coin. Even if you ask for head, tail comes along with it. Happiness and sadness keep coming and going. In bad times, you have an attitude of sacrifice and in good times, you should have an attitude of service.

Q: In different religions different customs are followed. Some burn the body after death, some bury it. What is right?
    Sri Sri: See the origin of the customs. Islam, Judaism were born in desert. Desert is dry sand, not too many woods, trees are rare. It was practically impossible to burn the bodies. So in those circumstances, it was better to bury. Sand would decompose the bodies. Here, 5000 to 10000 years ago, India was much greener than what it is now. There was so much of wood. So, best way was to burn the bodies, make them to ashes, which will decompose eventually. We did not have so much of land, else with this much of population all the land would have been graveyard. These days, electrical cremation is the best, environment friendly way. Today, we are coming to a Unique culture.

Q: Loving Guruji, please explain Love and Life.
    Sri Sri: Life is incomplete without love.:)

Q: Guruji, when interest starts developing towards devotion,what should one do?
    Sri Sri: Good. Very good. But simultaneously you must take care of the responsibilities as well. One should not run away.

Q: How many are enlightened?
    Sri Sri: There's no count ? How many hairs are on your head? There may be few teachers but in terms of enlightenment there are many. Knowledge is hidden in everyone like rice. Every child has come with perfection inside. Don't need to do anything too much, even meditation. Only as much as is necessary for perfection to arise.

Q: Ever since I was little I was told that God would not come in physical form as this is Kalyuga.Then how come YOU are here?
    SriSri: These things are just said as a way to wake people up. To take you out of lethargy, laziness, dullness.Come on! Quickly do something. Yukti, skill in waking one up. Kalyuga is very good, there's nothing wrong. You are all here. Even in ancient days there have been problems. Demons would not allow people to meditate.

Q: How do we know that our interpretation of knowledge is right or it is a misinterpretation?
    Sri Sri: When you see something, you introspect first.. You see the means of knowledge. That's why in India science and spirituality never contradict each other. Spirituality believes first and experiments later. Science is experimenting first and believing later. In ancient days a child is given 'Brahma Upadesham', the highest knowledge is initiated to the child , right at childhood.

Q: Do you know everybody’s mind?
    Guruji: You know what happened when we were coming to Surat from Mumbai in train for Mahasatsang. There were two ladies in the same train as we. They were longing to meet me. They couldn’t meet me in Mumbai and thought it would be almost impossible to meet in Surat.
    Few devotees where scheduled to meet me at Valsad station. Before we could finish the train started. Me and Rishi Nityaprogya ji (Nitin Bhaiya) ran and jumped into one of the boggies. It was a ladies coach [Huge laughter]. Big Laugh The two ladies were sitting in the same boggie. They started crying like anything after seeing me. Then I sat with them for half an hour and spoke to them. Longing always increases but never gets completed. Love increases but never completes.

During my agyatwas, I asked our driver, to drive the car in some remote village. I asked him to take left and right, here and there. Then I asked him to stop in front of a small house. It was a farmers house. Once I entered the house, everybody saw me. The whole family was so happy to see me. The farmer said he wanted to see me since such a long time but never knew how to reach me. Then I also visited a few farmers near by, they also wanted to meet me since long but would never get a chance due to their duties and work. I spent some time talking to them. They all became very happy.
    So you never know when I’ll go where. I can come anywhere, anytime.
    So better keep your house neat and clean. :)

Jai Gurudev !

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Fantastic Talk by Our Beloved Guruji

Let me tell you a story. Once two villagers were sitting under a tree and watching the sunset. They were very close friends. After sitting quietly for some time, one asked the other, "What are you thinking? "
    "I am planning to buy five acres of land, a garden."
    The other friend immediately said, "Don´t buy the garden!"
    The first one was surprised. He asked "why"?
    The second one replied, "I am planning to buy a buffalo. Then, my buffalo will enter your garden and we will fight, have misunderstandings and lose our friendship. I do not want to lose our friendship."
    The first one said, "Then, you cancel your plan of buying a buffalo. I am going to buy my garden."
    The second one said, "No, no, no. I have already decided to buy a buffalo."
    The first one said, "How will your buffalo enter my garden? I will fence it thoroughly."
    The second one said, "No, you see, it can just enter; a buffalo is a buffalo. Who can stop it? It can do anything."
    Then the fight went to such an extent that they broke their limbs!

Neither has bought buffalo nor any land. Nothing has happened. Just the mind´s race and both of them broke their limbs over it! Our fears are also like that. The future has not yet come. But you just sit there and think, "Oh! What will happen? What will happen?" Finally you will die! This is what is going to happen! So much anxiety about the future! In this run, the mind gets into such a mess. It is unable to see the presence that is all around it.

The mind totally forgets the divine. "Me, mine, what about tomorrow, the day after and the day after that, next year, ten years later?" You people plan in this way even up to the next birth! When people are newly married they say,"We will be husband and wife for many life-times to come! This one birth is not enough. We will be man and wife for the next seven births!" In reality, they may be fed up of each other in this birth itself, but they talk of the next seven births!

We should experience the divine´s presence, the divine´s light around us.You should have a desire in your mind to experience this.
    Have we ever desired the divine light?
    Has such a desire ever risen in you, that you want the highest peace?
    Has it arisen from deep inside you?
    The divine light, whatever that is, you do not know what it is. It is something by which the whole world is running. Have you ever really wanted it? When you sing or pray there should be total involvement. You don´t involve yourself totally. If the mind is preoccupied elsewhere then that is no prayer at all. There should be total involvement. When there is pain there is more involvement.

You are like a free bird. You are fully open. Feel that you are flying like a bird. Learn to fly. This is some thing which you have to experience within yourself. There is nothing else. If you consider yourself as bonded, you will remain bound here. Experience freedom. When will you experience freedom? After you die? Become free right now. Sit down and become contented. That thing in you which says, "I have to do. I have to do. I have to achieve"; that is wrong. Sit down in peace, thinking: "I have nothing to do now."

You are afraid of opening your fists. What is there with you that you have to hold your fists? You have nothing with you. Open your fists. The whole sky will be in your hands. Be natural. Be with love. Do service. Celebrate all your life.

Jai Gurudev !

3. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

HIS HOLINESS, SRI SRI RAVISHANKAR
    -------Bali, Indonesia. Nov.25, 2008.

Q. By Head Priest: Om Swasti Rastu. I need not only the tourism of culture but also the tourism of spirituality. You are the Maharaja.
    Guruji: Yesterday, I was describing that ‘Swasti’ means both “health & happiness” together. It’s very nice to be here in Bali with you. Last year in the Vishnu Yagna, thousands of people gathered together. This time due to the rainy season it had to be in a closed hall or there would have been so many more people.
    Bali has maintained ancient tradition. Here in Bali, already have lot of spiritual richness, very rich culture. Asana is something that integrates the whole system. Pranayama,Meditation.

You know we seldom think about our life. We think about our house,money relationships but we don’t think who am I? What do I need to be happy? What do we need to do now? Reflect on our life. Okay. Remember what is your age? How old are you? 38 years. How much longer will you live on the planet? Say another 50 years, 85 years. How do you want to spend that? What do you want? The very question kindles spiritual dimension. Afterwards, how would you like to be remembered? As an aggressive person who troubled everyone or someone who did a lot of good? What do I need to be happy? When will I be happy? 10 years later or right now? This is what you need to think. Not postponing being happy to some future date. Right now, right now. When we get ourselves rid of stress by meditation. We don’t make any effort.

Q. Whenever I hear chants, I feel like crying.
    Guruji: It’s good. Devotion comes up. Heart chakra opens.Very good. There’s a saying by Kabira, "Bin roye kit paaye prem piya ki reet” Tears will bring you close to the divine, so it is okay.

Q: How can I meditate when thoughts keep coming ?
    Guruji: Some irrelevant thoughts may come. Some good or bad thoughts. If you try to chase them they bother you. When they come, allow them to come. Then you will see in a few minutes they disappear.

Q: Whenever I meditate, I feel some vibration.
    Guruji: That’s good. Vibration or sensation is normal. Don’t pay too much attention to it. Experiences change.

Q: I am scared to make any long- term plans.
    Guruji: You know greed stops you. Just go ahead.

Q: How do I stop myself from getting angry?
    Guruji: Why should you not get angry? Get angry. So what? Your this “I should’nt get angry, I don’t want to get angry’ ……….. Anger is because you love perfection. Create a little room for imperfection. In your house, don’t you have a dust-bin? In your mind also, keep a garbage can. Little acceptance about imperfection can bring patience. Inspite of that ………

Q: Guruji, do you know each of us here & also those who are not here?
    Guruji: Why you want to know all my secrets? :) Yes, I know some & I don’t know some.

Q: How to get rid of bad thoughts?
    Guruji: Proper food & pranayama. Everyday do 15-20 mins of Yoga, 15-020 mins of breathing & 15-20 mins of meditation. 40 mins – 1 hour everyday you keep it for yourself.
    Om namah shivaya. 5 letters, very powerful. 5 elements- earth, water, fire air, & ether. Om indicates life force. That gives so much energy, protection to the spirit. From thousands of years people have been using it.
    Food also plays an important role. Should not eat too much fried food. Drink more water. First thing in the morning drink half a litre- 500 ml. to 1 litre, upto 11/2 litres of water on an empty stomach. Either warm or cold. It will keep you healthy, prevent diabetes, kidney problem, improve circulation. Water has a lot of benefit. You must all drink.
    Morning bed tea- no good. No bed tea. First thing- water. It can have some lemon & ginger. After half an hour of water then you can drink your tea. Secondly, according to Ayurveda, hold your hand like a cup. Don’t ask me there is no upper limit! Your stomach can hold this much. Okay? Now avoid fried food, deep fried foods- no good. Once a month is okay. Not everyday. See how much fried food you use everyday- no good. & vegetarian food is best. Today world over people are saying we should turn to vegetarianism. That can keep you very healthy & strong.

Q: Why not to have garlic & onion?
    Guruji: Garlic & onion make you little dull. Creates tamo gun. For meditators it’s not very good. For gastric problem- garlic, for heart problem- onion. But as a regular diet, take everyday I would not advise. It makes consciousness dull. How this universe is filled with Prana, life energy. If you are a good meditator, nothing can make you unhappy. Even if you are unhappy, it immediately gets removed.

Q: On migraine problem.
    Guruji: Alternate nostril pranayama will help in migraine. Plenty of water & meditation. So many people have gotten over it. If your stomach is clear, everything is better. Triphala cleanses your system. 3 tablets with warm water or milk at night for 1-2 months. Your system becomes very clean.

Q: If everything in your life is as per Karma what is the role of Grace?
    Guruji:Grace reduces true effect of bad Karma & raise the effect of good Karma. Parents went to an astrologer. He told them their son will be a great leader. Many cars will move around him. The son become a traffic policeman! So the law is fulfilled, but good Karma remained very little. Atleast he got a job, he was not unemployed. If there is a Karma that a stone is hit your head, it didn’t hit, but took your cap or turban away. That which came to the head, came to the turban. Still the law gets fulfilled.

Q: I have no desire. My only desire is to go on a world tour with you. Is it possible & if yes in this lifetime?
    Guruji: Yes, yes. You can carry my asana & black bag.

Q: Do you exist in more than one place at a time?
    Guruji: Yes.

Q: If everything is God, what is your opinion about yesterday’s bomb blast.
    Guruji: These are man-made calamities. God is all goodness. When a person moves away from God, then all this happens. Everybody has something to do. If miracles could stop violence, it would have. The Mahabharata war would have stopped, but it didn’t.

Q: Do you sense any special vibrations on this island than different parts of the world?
    Guruji: Bali has very good spiritual vibration, no doubt.

Q: Why are there so many religions? Does it mean that the newest is the best?
    Guruji: There are many religions, but one truth. Why don’t you ask me why there are so many types of vegetables & flowers? Don’t think that the latest religion is the best. Oldest is as good as new. In fact, in Vedic Hindu Sanatan, it’s a way of life. They accept all. What happened thousands of years ago, people heard & what they heard became Vedas. So, 1,000 Rishis, whatever they heard & compiled all became Vedas. Vedas have all the latest Knowlegde in it.

You know, the Rishi who came to Bali, was Markandeya Rishi. All Balinese are descendants of Markandeya Rishi. There is a beautiful story about Markandeya. His parents prayed to God to get a son for them- a good , bright, brilliant son, they got a dream that God asks them what type of son you want? Very bright, intelligent, but his like will be only 16 years. Or you want a bad, ruthless, disobedient son whose life will be 100 years- you choose.Parents, even though 16 years lifetime said we want a good son. So the parents were worried. He was such a brilliant boy. On the 16th birthday, they were nervous. The boy prayed to Lord Shiva. When he was about to be taken away by the God of Death, Shiva came & said, No, you will live longer. So, devotion, prayer could change laws of Karma. So this is when the Mahamrityunjaya mantra was chanted by Markandeya which is very famous even today.

There are lots of stories with Markandeya. There is a whole Purana. So, after several years in India, he came out to Indonesia & settled in Bali. That’s the story. More than 10,000 years ago. He was even before Sri Rama who was 7,000 years ago. Sri Krishna was 5,000 years ago. Markandeya also wrote the Durga Saptasati In India, Chandi, Durga chanting is all written by Markandeya.

Q: I feel everything around me is telling me something. Is it Maya?
    Guruji: Don’t see too much meaning. Maya means that which can be measured. The entire Universe is Maya. Light, sound, smell, taste, earth, water, fire, air-the whole world can be measure. So the whole world is Maya. Measure also is not the same. What weighs on earth is different on the moon & at the poles. What can’t be measured? Truth, love, consciousness. Beauty can’t be measured- part of sat, chit, ananda. World is Maya, owner of the world is Mayavi. Don’t get stuck in Maya. Think something bigger. All human values are beyond Maya.

Jai Gurudev !

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. lakshmit

lakshmit Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    I'm not an art of living member. But i belong to isha yoga.. Still i read art of living mesg... When i was reading this mesg.. I don't know simply tears rolling out...

love..
    lakshmi.

5. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi,

Yes, our beloved Guruji's words touches millions of hearts and move us all so very very much ....

Regards.

6. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

I received the following forward -- a message of faith, courage and blessing from the survivors of the recent Mumbai blasts .

" BLANKET OF GRACE IN MUMBAI TERROR "

" There are no words to describe what we are going through after our miraculous escape after 12 hours in captivity at the Taj. There is still a sense of daze & shock, there is fear ( after the continuous sounds last 60 hours of grenades and gun firing) even the sound of a spoon falling is alarming!! Anger & rage at the total breakdown of security and the system , but above all, there is a huge huge huge huge sense of gratitude.

Gratitude to Guruji for giving us another life. As more is being revealed, 4 terrorists were in the kitchen of the chambers , just about 10 feet from the room we were in. They killed the chefs there. There was nothing stopping them from just turning left and coming our way. It was almost like some indescribable force was between them and us. Knowledge of living in the present moment and present moment is inevitable was never never before a living reality for us.

When they evacuated us after 12 hours, there was blood ,broken glass pieces, grenade remnants all strewn across the corridor outside our room. That’s how close they came. When we did come out and escaped another round of fresh firing at us ,as we were walking outside the Taj, the 1st call just that moment we got was from Guruji himself -- confirming that we were out and safe. It was almost as though He had escorted us out ! I was so shaken , I could barely stand let alone speak and He said to me, “When I am with you, how can anything touch you. Common, be brave . Kya darti hai, main hun na “

Throughout the night, Bhanudidi kept calling and smsing us , giving us courage and encouragement. Giving us the confidence that we would be out surely. It seemed surreal then, but she kept telling me to be bold and support others. It was like being scooped in a blanket of grace and love. In every Part 2 course, I have learnt to sleep with a blanket of grace. Believe me, I can tell you with certainity that it was ON us that night Through the night all of you kept calling us ,smsing us and telling us how much you are praying for us . Our parents,brothers ,sisters,sisters in law, little nephews and nieces from UK…….your voices gave us life & kept us going.

We were giving healing to the bullet hit, teaching deep breathing to some young boys with us to calm them down, teachimg mudras to control bladders to the old, all the while literally hanging on to each other ,holding hands tight and continuously chanting JAI GURUDEV ! My tongue continues to move in that chant in a almost pavlovian way even now. Even after we came out, all of you kept calling and supporting us. Hearing the concern and love in your voice was deeply humbling and moving for us. Anna kept refocusing my attention by talking about designing the Mandir for our new home to asking what I cooked ! Each one of you has kept reassuring us . This love is our only true treasure.

I have no idea what we have done to deserve all this outpouring of your love, concern,good wishes. We are just so grateful to you. It is the strength of your sadhana and sankalpa that rescued 100 of us that fateful thursday morning.
    As you know only about 8 people have come out alive from the taj after that Many many people we know, top lawyers, bankers ,leading business heads have not been as lucky as us. They were victims of indiscriminate firing. Dalus son Shaan and daughter Shivani's 4 friends have lost either both or one set of parents. 3 of our friends were stuck in Trident and rescued only yesterday morning after 36 hours and are in deep trauma
    Writing this is a cathartic experience for me. Going through this, a jolting wake up call to appreciate the value of every living moment of life, the indispensiblity of spreading knowledge URGENTLY, and above all deeply appreciating the love that surrounds us.
    We remain in Gratitude to you all FOREVER . Lifetimes will not suffice us to repay this love ...
    Apart from our anniversary, Ajay and I now share a birthday too.Nov 27th...

Love from the deepest depths of our heart
    Rajita & Ajay ”

Jai Gurudev !

7. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Grace,
    I regularly read this thread. I feel no words to describe when I read
    Sri Sri Sri `s teachings. Especially today`s quote DEVOTION AND PRAYER CAN CHANGE THE LAW OF KARMA. It gave me new zeal and attitude in life. Thanks for taking pains to post this wonderful thread.

8. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Vidhya,

Absolutely no pain at all ; in fact I take immense pleasure in posting our Guruji's messages which soothe and at the same time stimulate our inner self. In this small way, His teachings are reaching out to many people.
    I'm happy that you read regularly and feel inspired by His words .

Thanks.

9. sowmyaganesh

sowmyaganesh Senior IL'ite

Hi Grace

I have read through all your posts on Sri Sri.
    All the messages are inspiring and stimulating. It also makes us introspect ourself. Thank you for sharing and do keep posting it for us.

Regards

10. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

You're most welcome Sowmya.
    Thanks for your response.