1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Art of getting along

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Oviya, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Thank you....Sunkan....I'm on the way....

2. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Aruna, Latha, Aqua and Anushiv,

Thank you for dropping your lines here.

In each and every friendship our world is getting new as every person has some unique characteristics. We are born new with new friends. Feeling so emotional and happy writing this now, as this discussion brought out all the evergreen memories in me, once again.

Love,
    Oviya.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Oviya,
    Lovely snippet on an important aspect of life !
    For what Riya has written, I would use my word as chemistry! ( Not because, I am a chemistry graduate!!).
    From my younger age, I find that in some friendships, call them relationships, I am not able to open up at all & I do become cautious. In spite of my best efforts, I do not succeed.
    I am more sensitive than I should be, for my age - perhaps that is one reason. But, I realise, I have somewhere mellowed down along the line & make a definite effort to get along better, irrespective of how the other person feels about me.
    I used to be an introvert in my school days and labelled "haughty". I took special care to shed that image, realising that was not my basic nature, but more an image put on, to avoid being hurt.
    I now feel, I am happily "getting on" with such young friends like you all in IL! Am I right?
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear oviya,
    Nice thread.A person behaving optimistic or otherwise depends on how the other person behaves.I agree with u.We must get along .Maintaining human relations is an art.Our part is to avoid fault finding,gossips etc which may take us to some where.But as u asked if we across some negative reactions tolerating and being optimistic is something which is difficult.

According to me,i can mingle with others easily but on the other side it happens that we may not get enough response,in that case i always regret that i gave up my self esteem.But my attitide has helped to get some good friends in IL.Thanks for a lovely thread.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  5. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

Interesting piece about you....Surprising to know, too....

Found a truth of life in these lines, 'I'm more sensitive.........for my age'. Change is the only constant thing.

Now, you are extremely, a different Chithra, I believe....The way you look in the photos(The faces behind the names- thread) makes it clear that you get along very well and make people get along, too.

Love,
    Oviya.

6. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Bhargavi,

Thanks for sharing. Optimism works wonders. But, as you said there are some exceptions, too.

I pull the optimistic string as far as I can. I faced some situations too which questioned my self-esteem. In that cases, I've proved myself to them that I have friends in huge numbers. Some turned out to be good friends; again some the same. Just leave them alone. Let them become one day somebody who love this art.

Love,
    Oviya.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Oviya,

Chemistry/clicking factor or whatever you call is definitely there. But the first impressions need not always matter.

In my school days, people have to pay me to talk...was a very very silent observer....college again i used to talk a little...but got lot of friends basically because of being practical, and helping others and being very friendly...(i still wonder how i could do that without much talking)
    Coming to work, my friendship with my friend started on a heated argument/fight.(that friend ended as my husband)

Life's experience teaches you to be wary, or to trust. Being open and not judging a person in the first meet helps a lot...but lot of the times, we have a predetermined judgement reserved. and I feel you view of a person should not be based on other's statement, you should be open and form your opinion. no person can be the same for everybody around him, because it all lies in the eyes of the person who sees him.

Again, I feel accepting a person as they are and not finding too many faults goes long way in a friendship or getting along.

Again getting along is an art. You can get along just superificially with a smile and few words. or you could light sparks with the chemistry.

8. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Hi Oviya,

Human race being a 'salad' of a variety of people with varied tastes, temperment, likes, weakness, strength and a multitude of all those virtues within us, getting along with our co-species is indeed a herculean task !!!

ART is the right word to use, as it requires mastery over the virtue of getting along, and this is not within all our reach ! I suppose practice makes a man perfect !

9. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Shanvy,

Liked reading your views...Guess what.....I had to have difference of opinions, too, with some friends, happened till college days. After that slowly I structured a format for making friendship which is very compromising during initial days. My Dad is so soft spoken all the times who has a lots of people around him, most of them are friends addicted to his kind nature and of course, relatives, too. I started following him, as people get convinced automatically that way.

10. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Hi Sumeru,

Very true.......wrote just 4 lines......meant a lot.....keep on approaching people helps get more exposure.....Still no one is the real master....you are right about that....