1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Arre Oh Sambha

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, May 11, 2010.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

I met Mc Mohan in July 2007 at his residence in Mumbai, a good 3 years bac.He was hale and hearty, and a great host, to this stranger, who had gone with the refernece of an actor called Sudhir, who was in Deewar, Hare Ram Hare Krishna, Satte pe Satta, and many other movies.

on my say so Sudhir called up Mac, and set up the interview, and here it is.

so sorry to read about Mac;s demise yesterday in the news.Gem of a person.REad on.

This is a repost.

had the pleasure of meeting Mac Mohan,a few days back at his residence in Versova,Mumbai.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

I used some contacts,and met Mac,and he is a perfect gentleman.He has a lovely wife,and daughters,perfect hosts.He played Sambha in the all time Hit " Sholay".Here is what we talked about.

Casting of Sholay -

First choice was Sunil Dutt,news to me.He backed out bcs he did not want the great Gabbar to be killed by Sanjeev Kumar,but Ramesh Sippy was adamant,so he backed out.

Danny was the next choice,but he got delayed at <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st="on">Afghanistan</ST1:COUNTRY-REGION> shooting for Feroz Khan's "Dharatmatma",and since the phones those days were bad in <ST1:COUNTRY-REGION w:st="on"><ST1:pLACE w:st="on">Afghanistan</ST1:pLACE></ST1:COUNTRY-REGION>,Ramesh Sippy was frustrated with not receiving a reply as to when he would return.

Amjad Khan, used to pester Ramesh Sippy to give him any role in the movie,even that of Sambha or Kalia,just to be in the movie.Ultimately out of frustration, he was given a chance,and the rest is history.

[​IMG]

Shooting -

Sambha,surprisingly had just 3 words in the movie. " Poore Pachas Hazaar".Nothing else was said by him in the movie.But Mac Mohan says,Gabbar made him famous by repeating his name so many times in the movie.

Mac's wife,said that Mac had to sit on the hot rocks for hours,on hi s haunches,and his bums got burnt,sitting days on end.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = V /><V:SHAPETYPE id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <V:STROKE joinstyle="miter"></V:STROKE><V:FORMULAS><V:F eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></V:F><V:F eqn="sum @0 1 0"></V:F><V:F eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></V:F><V:F eqn="prod @2 1 2"></V:F><V:F eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></V:F><V:F eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></V:F><V:F eqn="sum @0 0 1"></V:F><V:F eqn="prod @6 1 2"></V:F><V:F eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></V:F><V:F eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></V:F><V:F eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></V:F><V:F eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></V:F></V:FORMULAS><V:pATH o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"></V:pATH><O:LOCK v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></O:LOCK></V:SHAPETYPE><V:SHAPE id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 14.25pt; HEIGHT: 14.25pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><V:IMAGEDATA src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\02\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://kamalji.sulekha.com/editor/CuteSoft_Client/CuteEditor/images/emteeth.gif"></V:IMAGEDATA></V:SHAPE>

The first year the movie was shot twice.First in 35 mm and then in 70 mm.And each shot used to take a dozen retakes.bcs in those days there was just Maratha Mandir or maybe Minerva that had 70 mm,and he wanted to shoot in both versions.

When the foreign technicnas came, they advised Ramesh Sippy to shoot in just 35mm,and this will be blown up into 70 mm.Sippy did not beleive,so they stopped the shooting for a week,went to London,and there they developed the 35 mm shots,and blew it up to 70mm,and the results were excellent.And after that Sippy contined to shoot just in the 35mm format.Otherwise the movie would have taken another 2 yrs to shoot.

The movie had a lot of voilence,Sachin was orignally caught by kalia and Sambha and brought to Gabbar.He was roasted on the fire,and the charred body was sent on the horse back to his village.The censors cut hat,so Gabbar was just shown killing some flies on his hand to signify that he had killed Sachin.

The movie - The length of the movie was 9 hours,and Ramesh Sippy wanted to be shown in 2 parts of 4 and half hours each.This was turned down,by Salim Javed,and censors helped too with a lot of cutting and censoring.

Mac said the movie was a flop intially,and Ramesh Sippy asked Sunit Dutt to dub Gabbar's Dialogue,but Sunil Dutt wanted Gabbar's permission.Everyone said that Amjad khan's dialogues was weak,but before they could do this, the movie was a hit,well thats history.

Mac Mohan -

still keeps coming in movies.The latest he said is " <ST1:CITY w:st="on">Bombay</ST1:CITY> to <ST1:pLACE w:st="on">Goa</ST1:pLACE>",where he plays the main character, who hides the gold,and the comedians go searching for it.

Gem of a guy,and i am glad i got to meet a gentleman,and i have his mobile,and hes promised to look me up when he comes there next month,as he is opening a teachign school there.

KAMAL MAHTANI

There wre no jokes then, so these additions are of today.

Lift ke Bahar ek note tha

Ladies ka khas khayal Rakhe
    Aur uske neeche likha tha
    Ek waqt mein sirf 6 Admi chadhey !!!!!

( Anote outside a lift

Take special care of ladies
    And under this was written
    At one time, only 6 people ride !!!)

What is that thing, that a woman has in the front, that a Cow has at the back ?
    You dirty minds, I know what u are thinking.
    It is the word W
    Women have it in the front , and CoW has it in the back !!!

Maths and Women are the most complicated things in this world.
    But at least Maths has some logic !!!

Man to Barber – Cut my Hair short
    Barber – But sir how short ?
    Man – So short that my wife cant pull them !!!!!!

Golden Rule for a Happy Married Life

To be happy with a Man, Love him little and Understand him more,
    To be Happy with a woman,
    Love her a lot,
    But DO NOT try to understand her .

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi kamalji,

wondering why you turned Gabbar with "Arre oh Sambha":)
    now that you say, i realize that yes he had only this dialogue but nobody will forget him in sholay,no?
    news about the casting in sholay was interesting.

Mac's wife,said that Mac had to sit on the hot rocks for hours,on hi s haunches,and his bums got burnt,sitting days on end.

hahaha occupational hazards,eh?

golden rules for a happy married life :thumbsup:-)

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,
    You have paid a wonderful tribute to the actor Mac mohan.
    There is sadness in declaring that Mac Mohan passed away. He was a soft-hearted gentle soul. His frail body defeated the strength of his character and his kind nature. A person of great care and concern for all," Amitabh wrote on his blog.
    He shot to fame as the gun-toting dacoit 'Sambha' in Sholay. After that he never looked back and has essayed a number of villainous roles in films like Don, The Burning Train and Satte Pe Satta.
    "No one could have suited Sambha's role better than Macm,ohan. He will always be remembered by that role

Amjad Khan's conversation with him are among the most favourite dialogues from the film. MacMohan is asked by Khan's character, "Arrey o Sambha, kitna inaam rakhe hain sarkar hum par?" (Hey Sambha, what is the reward the government has placed on my head?) And prompt comes Sambha's reply, "Poorey pachaas hazaar (altogether Rs 50,000)".
    I have to disagree with you on the golden rule !!:)Anyway it takes the cake.
    with love
    pad

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji
    Reading this post feel like going and watching sholay again
    Nice reading about the Behind the screen.
    Nice to see both of you in the photo. Even though he would never have much dialogues to tell in most of the movies but still he was famous in his own style, who use to be always behind the Don character.

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi,

I wrote this post in July 07, and joined indus in Aug 07, a month later.I dont know if i posted this here.

Yes no one can forget him, and i found him to be agreat person.

Mindi i have interviewed a few personalities, Mac Mohan was one, Kalia of sholay, Viju Khote around 6 months back or so, Rusi Surti , Hanumanth Singh the cricketers, Micheal Pinto, the famous undertakers of Mumbai, who did the body of Rajiv Gandhi, and of Mother Terressa himself.

Tow have died, Hanumanth a month after i interviewed him, and now Mac.
    Ab kiska number hai, Kalia !!!!!:rotfl

Thanks.kamal

They used to to say Simi the actress used to interview, and those people used to die soon, she interviewed, Rajiv Gandhi and Raj kapoor and both went soon.:biglaughAnd i am following in her footsteps eh !

6. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

dear kamalji

enjoyed reading it very much. Got lot of real news behind the making of sholay.

Today i made my DH to read the jokes, and i was saying about you to him.
    Even he read the post.

When i was in college Mac came to our college. Indeed he was a very nice person.

Regarding, ab kiska number hai?????? i will keep my fingers crossed:biglaugh

7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pads,

You know just now i called Viju Khote, the Kalia of Sholay and asked him about Mac Mohan, they were great friends too.

He said, Mac was 71 years of age, and he could wear his college clothes even today.

He developed cancer of the lungs suddenly in November and by the time he realized it, it was too late.first he was at Lilavati hospitat, then at Ambani Hospital.

And viju said, the cremation was held at Shivaji park, Dadar, while the whole industry these days is in the suburbs, so thought quite a few came, but many did not come bcs of the distance.

That is life eh , Pads !!!

Viju had a bypass done last year, and he is taking it easy, working less now, so he told me.

See i am well connected eh. and i have still Mac Mohan;s mobile number, wonder if i call who will pick it up, or it is disconnected who knows.

Regards

kamal

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aruna,

Read my reply to pads.

Even though he was in the movies for so long, he never was the main villian eh !

Sad

Regards

kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea rRadhika,

thanks u are making me more famous eh ! Tell him these are just the veg jokes.:biglaugh

Well i hope kiska bhi number jaldi nahin ayee.God bless them.

Regards

kamal

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hahaah :rotfl thanks for the warning.Rest assured that you will NEVER be interviewing Mindi..:rotfl