1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are Your Gifts Emotionally Affordable?

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Jul 8, 2005.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear privy,
    thanks. These are all the home truths I learnt the hardest possible way. When I started my career I was so sweet to others that I became bitter to myself. Then I tried hard to learn the art of saying no. First I used to say a weak no. Now my nos are very strong. If somebody encroaches on my time I put down my foot to say no. And then I learnt the art of diplomatically saying now. A diplomat never says no. But his yes is much more negative than a no. I just wanted to share my experiences with you. Do you know I wrote a short story in Tamil based on this essay? Not only Ananda Vikatan published it but also gave me a special prize of Rs.5000 giving it a 'special seal of quality'.
    Yes, Privy. If you are going to cave into every demand people won't respect you. Say no some times. Say it firmly sometimes. But do it sweetly. thanks for the nice words,
    sridhar

1 person likes this.
  2. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Lovely to read a new lesson on Emotional affordabilty!

You are very right!

Thank you for your valuable thought-sharing!

Best regards,
    Anuradha

3. varalotti

thanks a lot, Anu. This is one point I want to emphasise again and again. Emotional affordability of our gifts. I have written two articles, a full short story, have inserted this in a number of my novels. And even then I am not satisfied.
    thanks for coming in and for the nice words.

4. MrsRathna

MrsRathna Senior IL'ite

Hi Varalotti,

Your last Line " To relate is to understand. And one glimpse of this understanding is to find out whether your gifts are within your band of emotional affordability.".... Tells the entire content...Simply superb...I Related and Understood...What u meant...

Keep on relating things...to make us understand :)

Thanks,

MrsRathna

5. varalotti

Dear Mrs. Rathna,
    thanks for the nice words you have for my post. And happy to note that you also belong to Madurai.
    regards,
    sridhar

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Gifts emotionally affordable....difficult to draw a line. Sometimes we do not know what we are into it unless we are into it.We get emotionally involved with people whom we love or like.It may be a timely deed which is done spontaneously or some which need long planning as children's education or a grand wedding. We do not know the result till after a long time that we have done something.In professional life it is easier....we can say no nicely and diplomatically. But in personal life it is more difficult. When our friend or relative is sick...how can one say no even if it is difficult?Later they may abuse us saying we have not dealt properly.Life doesn't run according to calculations, maths, logic and reason always.It is more than that. Whatever may be the consequences we plunge and face the result. If we are true to ourselves....that's enough. We cannot calculate everything.

2 people like this.
  7. varalotti

That's true, shyamala. But if we do not want to help and still force ourselves to help our friends or relatives and then that makes the relationship unpleasant. Though I am an accountant I don't ask you to calculate. I want you to just think it over. And if you feel you can't emotionally afford that don't do that. This I am saying only to help you save the relationship. There are very good ways of saying no.
    Five years ago one of my friends approached me for a loan of a very high amount. He was a good friend; but the amount was too large. I was not sure of his capacity to repay. I offered 5% of whatever he asked for as my contribution to the crisis telling him he need not even repay that. I saved the money as well as the friendship.
    Let's say your best friend wants to borrow your car. You know very well she is not a good driver. What will you do? If you want to be happy in the long run you'll have to put your foot down and refuse. May be, you can do it diplomatically.
    Once you are alert you can assess your emotional affordability faster than you can find your body weight.
    sridhar

1 person likes this.
  8. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

9. varalotti

thanks, suma