1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are your children cherished?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Nov 17, 2010.

1. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Dear Prana,

You make a very good point. Comparing your kid to other children constantly citing their achievements in the hope to prod him/her along the path of achievement is a sure way to alienate your child and produces the contrary result. All this manages to do is make the child feel inferior and leads to low self-esteem. Thank you for bringing this point for discussion Prana. :thumbsup

Also, you don't need to address me as 'mam' anymore. As all my friends do, just call me Meena, okay?:)

2. meenasankaran

Spiderman,

I knew when I posted this here in this forum that I was straying from the usual path of lighthearted banter but wanted to tell this girl's story on her first death anniversary to all here in the hope that it will serve as an eye-opener to all the parents.

Btw, how do I put a pointer in the Parenting forum to this thread? Thanks for stopping by Spiderman.

3. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Thanks Spiderman!
    Hema, you too!

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Meena,
    My smypathies and prayers to the family of that little small girl.

My eldest one used to complain that I don't react the way parents do here to their children.
    As I am not used to that, I found it hard at first and after repeated complaints from my daughter, I am changing and I am remembering or shall I say, cherishing her more now a days, her words, actions and her reactions, as she has gone out of state for the college.

sriniketan

5. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I already did that yesterday, Meena. This is a great thread, so I went ahead and added the reference there myself - so ppl can be pointed to come here and read this.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  6. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Very well said Meena :hatsoff

7. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Dear Meean,
    [JUSTIFY]
    Its good you have highligted about such issue.Most of the couples are working nowadays so they have gone too mechanical in upbringing the child.They are mostly are not aware of what gives joy to the children.Spending time or spending money.Even in one of my post 'Robot ma' I justify that children need you more than anything.
    [/JUSTIFY]

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mena,

Humour and understanding in the same blog.

Wonderfully said. Children ar children, and i agree we should let them.

Harsha is a perfectionist, i am not. For me , my home is not a hotel, or a 5 star, so a messy home makes me feel comfortable.:rotfl

And let children be normal,. let them have B's but let them be all rounders and not bookworms.

what can i say to thsi wonderful blog, buit that few few touch me as this one did.A tear escaped.

Regards

kamal

9. meenasankaran

Dear Malliga,

First of all, thank you for sharing your story with us. I am so very sorry to hear about the losses you have faced in your family. In that context, it is totally understandable that you feared for your sons' safety and tried to protect them. I would have done the same in your shoes, I think.

Having said that, I am very glad that you stepped back in the end and did not let your fears consume your and your children' lives. Letting go could not have been easy for you in light of your paralyzing fear so I :bowdown to you for your courage. Thank you for your valuable feedback Malliga. :)

10. meenasankaran

Dear VJB,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic. Your point made me think deeply (a chore by itself if you know what I mean :wink:) about my childhood.

Was I everything that I look for in my children now? If you had seen me as a child, would you have cited me as a role model for your children? God forbid, no. I was the personification of rebellion and hardheadedness put together but my parents still managed to love me just the way I was. Go figure!:) So what gives me the right to expect and insist on perfection from my children??? Brings to mind an English saying 'People in glass houses should not throw stones'. Thank you for adding a new dimension to this topic VJB. :thumbsup