1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are you undecided whether to read this or not?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhargavi
    The distinction between a dilemma and indecision is very thin. As you say, indecision may not confine intelf to only 'desirable' alternatives but undesirable ones too. Dilemma is more dramatic. Shakespeare loves it and builds his soliloquies on dilemmas only. You never hear of a soliloquy arising out of an indecision. Indicision is more introvert in nature. It makes you ponder over various options in silence. Your forehead gets burrowed with deep lines. Your eyes look troubled. Everything gets cleared in a jiffy the moment you decide what to cook for lunch. But in the case of a dilemma, a decision causes further trouble as in the case of Hamlet and his uncle Cladius, Othello and Desdemona and such others.
    But when you talk of admiration for quick decision makers, I remember the age old adage that'Fools rush in where angels fear to tread'. People who take quick decisions particularly in such matters as fixing a matrimonial alliance are generally not as happy as those who take quite a bit of time about it! ( Have I opened the Pandora's Box now?)
    Sri

2. Jaynat

Jaynat New IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir

Yesterday i witnessed a small incident which gives a whole new meaning to this decidophobia factor. It made think of your thread sir and the various aspects of taking decisions that you have discussed here. I enjoyed the incident and it made me aware of another factor in taking decisions and i wished to share it with you...

"I was walking along the lovely streets of Istanbul with my husband and two children.Having enjoyed the Hustle and Bustle of the shopping and tourist spots we were enjoying a leisurly stroll along one of the side roads lined with small cafes and bars.

We stopped in one of those cafes for a cup of Tea. We placed an order for chai and along came a japanese lady. After exchanging mutual pleasantries i noticed that the lady had not placed an order but was keenly observing the shopkeeper making two glasses of Pomegranate juice. I could see that she was trying to observe how the juice was being made, whether the seeds are being crushed together, how the juice was served into the respective glasses and finally how it was being presented to the customers. After careful observation of all these factors, she asked the opinion of the two Americans who had ordered the same and when they replied with a smile it was excellent , she raises a hand to signal to the shopkeeper to make one for her.

And finally when the juice arrived, she sits back to take a long leisurly sip and heaved a sign of complete satisfaction. I could see in her face the happiness that one has acheived on taking a well thought out, carefully planned decision which will defenitly yeild complete satisfation to the mind and heart.

Every day i learn something new....."

With Warm Regards
    Jay.

3. Cheeniya

Dear Jay
    That's a beautiful incident that you have narrated. It does make a lot of sense and is the quintessence of good decision making skill. It may appear slow and elaborate but that is how decisions have to be taken. Many think that fast decision making is a virtue without realising that it has greater potential to go wrong. I concede that there are instances that a decision has to be taken in a flash like when you are chased by an armed thug but ordering for a drink is not of that category. The way you describe the contentment that the Japanese lady derived out of her well considered decision sets me really thinking. If happiness is the goal of everything we do, then the Mantra is 'Take time!' There is no point in bullying around with life.
    Japanese have the philosophy of Confucious well ingrained in them. They are the people who can lose themselves in the serenity of a motionless lake than the hustle and bustle of a fast flowing river. This attitude helps them to be tranquil in any trying circumstances. Thanks a lot for sharing this with me, Jay!
    Sri

4. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

actually after seeing the topic i was in dilemma..read it or not..but this topic made me to read.........this word is not at all associated with me except for mornig breakfast whether i should have it after shower or before........but this problem is explained well...many of us will realize today that they have this problem.

regards,
    Padma

5. Cheeniya

Dear Padma
    One of the exclusive characteristics of a human being that differentiates him from other forms of life is confusion. If some one says he never gets confused , I would not rate him as human being at all. The occasional uncertainty about 'To be or not to be' is our birth right. No one can make a fuss about it!
    Sri

6. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir

I read your post last week and was indecisive as to what should be a good FB.

I got to know the difference between indecisiveness and dilemma. Now, I know that i always used dilemma for simple indecessiveness.

If the choice is between two desirable things but which are mutually exclusive, will it be called Dilemma. For example, choice between two prospective grooms, or dilemma is always referred to when one has to make choice bewteen undesirable things.

Thanks
    Ansh

7. Cheeniya

Dear Ansh
    I'll answer your question this way.
    If one wonders if he wants to marry now or not, it is indecision. But if he has to choose one out of two highly desirable or undesirable brides, it is a dilemma. In both cases, there is a possibility that you might end up wondering if the other bride would have been better as a wife!
    Sri

8. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear cheeniya sir,
    Definitely,Indecisiveness spoils our mind which in turn leads to confusions,confusions leads to anxiety and finally we may or may not end up in depression.There is a possibility.Moreover as u said the decision taken out of dilemma makes the scenario even worse as adding fuel to the already burning fire.
    I totally surrender with u on your opinion abt decisions taken for choosing a life partner.I find that a major decision is taken across a coffee,bajji,bonda.On the other hand people who wait,analyse and decide things carefully have more chances to lead a satisfying life .Your reply is really an eye opener.

BC

9. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

When I read this post, I wanted to reply... but after seeing Shan's reply I got into the phobia.... Also, I dont know what I should say.... But after reading all these golden words...

Very few instances, i have had this dilemma that too for a few minutes, when somebody is also involved in my decisions...something similar to a prisoner's dilemma... – Shanvy

its not so easy to make this decision making in family life - especially with relatives. – Aishu

it is not uncommon that we let our decisions be taken by others. I call it Divine intervention! – Cheeniya

somethings has to be compromised for a a better gain – Jaynat

To have the woman of the house take every decision of importance is the ultimate dream of every man. A man is more scared of accountability than of cockroaches! It is a lot easier to let the decions be taken by Her Highness whether they go right or wrong. It is easier to put up with it than take a wrong decision and be bombarded by HH for life! – Cheenia

i know of the zodiac sign that lead in this factor – Sunkan

The people who never take any decisions in their career advance smoothly in the hierarchy as compared to people who are prone to take fast decisions. – Cheeniya

A sound and healthy mind may not suffer from decidophobia - Meeta

When it comes to Offficial matters, my decision taking process is fast and I am clear as to what to do...

On the contrary, when it comes to the domestic decision making... I normally try to be docile.. and leave the decision making to Shan... She is a strong character with stong determination and puts forth her thoughts to me with practical examples etc and make it look like a practical solution... Asusual, being a husband who loves his wife more than anything... I will also agree to her, even though at times I would like to differ with her....hahahahahaha... Hope She is not reading this and coming back with a stick.....bonkbonkbonkbonkbonk...

Veda

10. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    I never cease to be amazed by your diplomacy! A diplomat is defined as one who will ask you to go to hell in such a way that you start actually looking forward to the trip!
    Your position with regard to domestic matters is exactly the same as mine!:mrgreen:
    When this is the golden rule for leading a successful married life, I always wonder why some men act to the contrary.
    Going through your FB, I am surprised that I have uttered so many 'golden' words!
    Sarve janah: sukhino bavanthu!
    Sri