1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

are you oil concerned..then pls visit

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by sujanak, Dec 20, 2009.

1. sujanak

sujanak Junior IL'ite

Hi Asmini, Shubag,

thanks for ur tips. I do the same thing. I took one 1.100 lit tupperware oil jar. I use only that much oil. I take as mach as possible care not to cross that limit. I feel that's a good way to control the oil usage.
    Shubag, the oil choice what u r using is nice. using olive oil for salads gives u the perfect flavour instead of using it in heating form.

thanks for ur comments dear ILites.:thumbsup keep posting ur comments

2. jpoorni

jpoorni Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I am using Olive oil for cooking, but our IL Aswini has mentioned about turning of good fat into bad fat by heating when we heat Olive oil.can anybody share more about this....

Poorni:drowning

3. sujanak

sujanak Junior IL'ite

it's true poorni. any oil when heated changes its characterestics. when fumes starts from oil means, decomposition of oil starts. the flavour and the nutritional values goes less.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1>Canola oil, unrefined<TD align=middle>225°FCanola oil, semirefined<TD align=middle>350°FCanola oil, refined<TD align=middle>400°Safflower oil, unrefined<TD align=middle>225°FSafflower oil, semirefined<TD align=middle>320°FSafflower oil, refined <TD align=middle>450°FSoy oil, unrefined<TD align=middle>320°FSoy oil, semirefined<TD align=middle>350°FSoy oil, refined<TD align=middle>450°FSunflower oil, unrefined<TD align=middle>225°Sunflower oil, semirefined<TD align=middle>450°Sunflower oil, refined high-oleic <TD align=middle>450°
    pls c this chart for smoking point of diff. oils.
    we cann't follow this in real life, but just for ur ref.

4. jpoorni

jpoorni Senior IL'ite

Hi Sujana,

Thanks.but what abt olive oil.......it is missing in the chart:spin

Poorni

5. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Hello jpoorni,

I read the infor about Olive oil in a weight loss programme I joined. I am kind of convinced that olive oil shouldn't be used for high temperature cooking. I read that it is based on what kind of olive oil you use for cooking. Here is what one article said about Olive Oil.

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I try never to fry food (deep fry) and just use a couple spoons to make any curries. One of the really good oils for frying that is available here in USA is grapeseed oil which doesn't deteriorate and it fries like ghee. Aswini has posted important information about olive oil and if you are using it for frying you should use the lite types not the extra virgin. Extravirigin is good for salad dressing, bread dipping, making tepenade and other noncooking uses. I like sunflower oil but the price lately has skyrocketed in my area to over $8 a liter. The reason that fried food tastes better is because it actually tastes better: oil is a flavor carrier. I think baking could be better utilized in preparing a lot of Indian dishes if one uses some ingenuity. Of course any tandoori dish is best prepared in the oven.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  7. sujanak

sujanak Junior IL'ite

Hi All,

I'm sorry for the late reply. I was busy this weekend and couldn't visit IL.
    And happy to c more oil concrned ladies. and thansk to all to participate in this thread with ur nice reviews.

thanks for ur info Ashwini. u shared a nice info regarding olive oil.
    it's a new oil I came to know as grapeseed oil. and it's characterestics are interesting. thanks for ur post dear tashidelek2002. it is always suggestable to use less fried items.

but what many of my friends discuss whenever we meet is microoven damages food value with it's electro radicals. if it is true, how can we save our food if we prefer oven to cook.

8. sujanak

sujanak Junior IL'ite

9. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

You have shared a good info.. I have been wanting to try grapeseed oil too since it has a higher smoking point. it shall go into my next shopping list .. thanks tashidelek.

I have read that you need to use butter/ghee, prefer to use ghee because it has a higher smoking point. but then isn't ghee prepared by heating butter?? Or is the commercial ghee prepared in a different way?? Any idea?

Whatever be the case, it is best to reduce the intake of oil and keep it within daily limits. We should explore alternatives to deep frying like tashidelek said.

I am not sure about microwave cooking. I just keep rice and reheat stuff.

10. Rinky31

Rinky31 Senior IL'ite

A very interesting topic .I personally use Canola oil ,which is considered to be the next best after olive oil in terms of health benefits and moreover it is apt for our Indian cooking -can be used for deep frying also.But all oils have different combinations of Mufa and Pufa so it is also good to switch oils so you can get all benefits.What I do is I keep canola as the main oil and once it is over i buy any other like sunflower then next again canola and then maybe corn or rice bran and come back to canola.