1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

are you oil concerned..then pls visit

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by sujanak, Dec 20, 2009.

1. sujanak

sujanak Junior IL'ite

Hi All,

we all know that using more oil is not at all good for health. But in temptation, or to serve food for guets, to attract crispy food to kids or with some other reason, we all compromise with this oil problem.

do you really feel that we can make tasty foods only using more oil?
    ofcourse now a days people are using microwoven to make oil free food., but there is also negetive result as it produces electrical radiation on the food.

I feel using less oil is the only alternative way to protect our health.

I use 1 to 11/2(in case of guests) lit. of oil per month and our fam. mem. count is 3.

so, dear ILs I humbly ask your comments on this. like how much oil do you use and, what are the tips you take to use less oil and what is the good oil to use like rice brawn, ground nut, musterd, palm oils etc..

2. ranjuz

ranjuz Senior IL'ite

Hi sujana,

I shall reply with the knowledge I have, ok.

Two types of cholesterol r HDL and LDL. LDL is bad, but HDL is good for health. Though we think that using refined oils r good compared to coconut oil, it can create trouble to kidneys. So as u said, better way is to use less oil.
    Tips

1. Use less fried items.
    2. Use gingely oil for making dosa as it helps dossolve LDL.
    3. Sunflower oil, groundnut oil can be used.
    4. Dont reuse oil.
    5. Never use dalda, use pure ghee.

I think it is better to keep a balance of sunflower/gnut/gingely/coconut oil.

ranjuz:)

1 person likes this.
  3. sujanak

sujanak Junior IL'ite

Hi RanjuZ,

thanks for ur comments and tips. your Tip.2 is good. generally when I make dosas(when needed crispy) I use gingelly oil only. even with rice also, I use g.oil instead of ghee. the other use of gingelly oil is, it help to avoid arthritis problems

and I heard that using coconut oil is harmful to heart. but to my wonder keralites use only coconut oil(from ages together). I really surprised how they manage that?

4. Aarthibhuvan

Aarthibhuvan Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Please let me know if cooking in Olive oil is a better option?

regards,
    Aarthi

5. sujanak

sujanak Junior IL'ite

Hi Aarthi,

as per the studies by the oil chemists, olive oil is very good for health. we can use it for cooking with out any doubt. even when u go for high heat also, it improves the oxidation and hydrogenation levels in minsscale only. but for flavour wise, when oyu over heat the oil it evoperates the flavour, to get the olive flavour add little bit of oil, after cooking.. to your dishes.

6. Aarthibhuvan

Aarthibhuvan Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sujana

regards,
    Aarthi

7. Viny

Viny Junior IL'ite

Dear Sujanak ,

I am sharing some tips from my kitchen which I follow while cooking. WE both are working and hardy spare time for exercising except a walk of 20 minutes only.

1- A mix of oils instead of a single oil for cooking.I prefer TIL Oil mixed with soya oil or ground nut oil. It is a good combination and tastes good as well.
    2- According to Ayurveda mustard oil is very good to keep our joints, hairs, and heart healthy and fit. It can also be used with TIL or Soya oil.
    3- Instead of deep frying a Papad just brush a little oil on it and keep inside the microwave.It tastes equally good as roasted in side the microwave.
    4- Brush Paranthas with oil instead of using a spoon to coat them with oil.
    5- Prepare Omelette / half fry in a non stick pan without using oil. It is equally tasty.
    6- Steam cook Pakoras for your Kadhi instead of deep frying them.

Happy Cooking....

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  8. sujanak

sujanak Junior IL'ite

Hi Viny,

thanks for your less oil and healthy food tips. they are really useful for todays busy people who doesn't have enough time to exercise.

I never used mustard oil as it gives excess smell. but I will start using it now onwards as you explained it's uses.

9. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Hi,

these are some tips i learnt. I don't follow all of them regularly but I do try it sometimes.

1. Restrict the fat intake to 1-2 tblspn per day.
    2. Whenever you choose the oil to make any dish, you should consider the temperature for cooking. For ex: Don't heat olive oil. Heating converts all the good fat to bad fat when you heat oil.
    3. I am planning to do this - Beginning of each month, take a container and fill it with oil that you will be using for entire month. no refills allowed.
    4. Find alternatives for deep frying. Try shallow frying , baking etc., There will be some compromise on the taste ofcourse.

10. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

I use a combination of oils. Main cooking - Sunflower oil, dosas/idli powder/gun powder gingely oil and for parathas/salads i use olive oil. Some items are shallow fried which taste similar to fried items. Dalda and ghee used only for making savouries and sweets during festival seasons (no choice abt it and no compromise on taste). However for curries, if we steam and cook we need very less oil for tempering. Likewise I make read - OIL-LESS gravies which taste yummy..(comments from my guests).