1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Are you happy with your "MATTRESS"

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Sep 17, 2012.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

We are looking to buy anew mattress for our queen bed. We have a 3.5 yr old child and a new one on it's way. Since we anticipate mattress stains for next few years, we are not looking at tempurpedic which could be very expensive.

We had a spring mattress worth $300 from IKEA which was medium firm when we bought. Now it is too soft and goes in when we sit on it. It hurts my hip and lower back when i wake up :( I can never use it to sit and work on it.

Firm could hurt pressure points, but over time changes into medium firm.

Kindly recommend me if you are satisfied with you mattress. Especially the following details would help.

- How long has it been since you purchased it.
    - How much did it cost you ?
    - Is it foam or cotton
    - Is it soft, firm or medium firm
    - How do I find the right one for me ? I have been reading consumer reports which recommends trying it in store for 5 mins on all sides.
    - Pillows suggestions are welcome too.

2 people like this.

2. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi MeenLoch,

How areyou doing?

We got ours from Sears.
    4yrs back, soft..First we visited the store,sat and slept what not spend some 10-15mts testing it and finally ordered it in shop...it should be around 400$i guess.. just mattress///

Its in our kids room now , so hardly use it except when mysister family visits us and initially we used for 2yrs.. its good.

3. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I had previously bought a mattress from local store. It was soft and gave lot of back pains..
    Then we found that it was refurbished with old springs..

The next one we bought was Pillow-top mattress and that is now turned very soft.. Recently when I checked in IKEA, I liked their Extra firm mattress. It was so much better..

Along the same lines , i have a question about Box spring - Is this really necessary ?
    This box spring on top of our bed has made it too tall for me to climb. why is this being used ?

1 person likes this.
  4. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

I have recently replaced my mattress and here is some of the points, which you may consider according to your situation.
    1) We went for medium plush mattress ( on 1-10 scale of soft to firmness, it stands on 5).
    2) We bought Sealy Chapman plush Cal king(with box springs included) for $700 after taxes (there is a $160 off on it till this month end).
    3) Soft/firm point of view, back pain has nothing to do with the softness or firmness. I read this online. It was always recommended the medium firmness mattress for everyone.
    4) Costco reliability and exchange flexibility is awesome compared to the other retailers.
    5) For your situation, I would recommend a bigger (California King) mattress since the new born would get good room along with you couple(some times your older kid may also jump around you three on the bed).
    Good luck in finding the right mattress for you

1 person likes this.
  5. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

The main purpose of the box spring is to reduce wear of the mattress by absorbing some shock. It also provides a flat surface for the mattress.

Having said that box springs are optional if your bed has slats. If on the other hand you have just a bar on the base then you need the box spring to provide a firm base.

6. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

We have bought a few mattresses over the years. We prefer the firm mattress to the soft varieties. The oldest mattress we have is about 5 years old. It's a coil mattress. Started out firm but with almost 5 years of usage there's a little sag in some places. It's a Serta.

The next mattress we have is also a firm mattress we bought about 8 months back. It's a Serta again. This time we went for foam. We are very happy with it. This cost us about 700 with box spring and delivery. Generally Mattress Firm offers very good deals on mattresses. You can always price compare with stores nearby and they do a price match if necessary.

Mattress choice is a very personal decision. If you like the plush feeling you should go for soft mattresses. On the other hand, if you feel sleeping on the floor is more closer to your comfort level, opt for firm mattress. These days you have extra firm mattresses too which resemble sleeping on floor itself. It's a little too much for us though so we stick to firm.

A good mattress should cost you somewhere around 700 - 800 for a queen and around 1000 - 1200 for King. Most of the mattresses at Mattress Firm come with the box spring so you will not be spending anything extra for that.

If your kid is going to sleep with you, a King mattress is highly recommended. You also get mattress covers which provides a waterproof capability. It should help avoid any stains on the mattress.

7. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Even we have to buy a mattress. Don't we get 'India type' simple 'cotton ki gaddi' here? Is there something which is close to Indian style mattress in USA market?

I miss Indian mattress so much. :-( Its nothing but cotton inside, and yet they are so comfy. Never ever heard of backache problems because of wrong mattress in India. This is purely stupid US concept. :rant

And they remain good for years together. My parents still use the one they got in their marriage. I'm sure they won't need to change it for another 20 yrs at least. If there is a tear or cut, you simply have to take strong thread and sew it up.

And they cost nothing. Just Rs 1000-1500 and 20 years of sound sleep. And here, its $1000 mattress, and even that cannot guarantee comfort for everyone. I absolutely hate US mattress. :rant

3 people like this.
  8. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

For cotton mattress See this
    Cotton Futon Mattresses

We faced same issue with innerspring mattress. So recently I purchased Novaform 14" gel memory foam mattress from costco $499. Our backpain problem has gone.
    My friend is using futon cotton mattress and she told me its good.

2 people like this.
  9. smilysmile

smilysmile Gold IL'ite

Dear all , I too love Indian kind of mattress cotton futon seems a good idea but how to find a bed which can accommodate the mattress ?

Nice thought Meenloch
    Years together we suffered but time to think now
    We purchased sealy queen extra firm , started to sag after 3 yrs

Bought it for $800
    I don't like to spend on box springs but no choice

Bought another extra firm queen mattress for guests
    from local store for $300 it is fine

10. gaivij

gaivij Bronze IL'ite

Hi Pranjjal
    I am also planning to buy the mattress from Costco. Is Gel memory foam mattress, really good and do u see any compromises with this? Please let me know