1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

are you chikkanam chinnuswamy..stingy snehamayi ..sure a prize for this contest..!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sathya, Sep 12, 2007.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

Re: are you chikkanam chinnuswamy..stingy snehamayi ..sure a prize for this contest..

hello pushpa

that was a lighthearted question where i wanted quirky, naughty or very intelligent ones that can transform our ways of saving money water power ...greenery or whatever...
    chikkanam chinnuswamy is a title that appeared i think in kumudam sometime back to say what all he will do to save this or that..and hence the title...i did extend it a bit because chinnuswamys are in a minority here and perhaps they may not care to reply and we ms.chinnuswamys will not look into it by saying oh it is for him...not for mee...!
    ya credit card has sure hit the huge market...who cares about a couple of hundreds that cross the line...as long as we get it now...! that is marketing...perhaps we should have a card to remind us how to avoid..!

sathya

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Re: are you chikkanam chinnuswamy..stingy snehamayi ..sure a prize for this contest..

Dear Sathya,
    a nice contest. Like Pushpavalli madam said, chikkanam is okay but kanjoos is not okay.
    One of my relatives was hard up for money in his younger days. Now even if he has got good finance, he always keeps his fist tight. he will buy 10 sarees for Rs.100 to his wife but would not buy a good quality saree. the cheap saree would become dupatta or sometimes kerchief in a wash.
    He would always thnik about where he can buy things cheap. He will buy a large cabbage from the main market for a family of 2, keep it in fridge and after some days will throw it out as it would have become rotten. He could instead buy good quality, fresh cabbage from the nearby shop and eat it while it is fresh. He would have spend the same money. But he will never see the difference.
    he will ask his wife to make thick dosas so that less oil and gas would be used up. But would eat badam and cashew to pep up his health, that too in his forties. He will spendlarge amount in religious ceremonies and rituals but would not spend anything to enjoy good times with his wife in a good hill station. he is always calculating the expenditure whenever we all go out together. This is really very irritating.
    We always save first and then buy things. We have created our home from scratch like that in these past 20 years. Now that we are in good position, there is no problem.
    Our son never asks for anything. We buy all his needs even before he asks. But even when we ask him his preference, he will say that he does not need anything. But I am sure that he is not much aware of the value of money, he will have to be taught .

3. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear sathya,

There are few Tamil sayings about people being stingy. Some of them are:
    'Echa kaiyale ee oota maatan', ' Vilai morele vennai eduppan' etc. I am not stingy but I am prudent in spending. If I can go by bus instead of taking a cab, I will go by bus. If I can cook and eat at home I will do that instead of eating out. It is not healthy also. I am not that dress-concious. I buy dresses just enough to wear or my wardrobe is small. I don't go for designer wear. When I book air tickets, I look for cheapest tickets and so I plan and book early. I don't want to fritter away the hard earned money. When it comes to speaking, yes I am stingy. I prefer to listen than speak. But, if needed I will give a big speech also. In short, I am not stingy, I am prudent.

Regards,

TDU

4. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Sathya,

I felt all guilty after reading your post...and the FBs... I am the OPPOSITE to all that you have written... In fact 'Wastage' ....(even 'waistage'...) is my middle name... I feel guilty each time I throw food and other stuff into the bin... I squash my conscience underfoot when I splurge money on books which I can get for half its worth in India... I am a wicked wastrel... a certified spendthrift....a silly squanderer.... a prodigal.... even when it comes to my writing....!:oops: Though I make resolutions... I am always back to square one before I can spell the word 'resolution'.... My only fear is that God would take away all he has generously given me so far... My fingers and toes are crossed even as I type this...