1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a sentimentalist?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Sep 12, 2007.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Sentimentalism is a quality that is common for most of the human beings. A student might feel that a certain pen has a sentimental value. Hence he will use it to write examination. A watch presented by a near and dear one has got a sentimental value. For a painter a brush he used for a painting that fetched a prize might have the sentimental value. We have often heard from film artists that the first car that they had purchased was very dear to them and got a sentimental value.
    Here I am going to share a secret with you all. Even my dil and my sil are sentimentalists.
    We also prefer to keep the things that our parents used not only to remember them, but also for sentiments. Even things in dilapidated state are preseved and are kept for sentimental value. My mother in law was keeping a cane box that was presented to her first born by an aunt. She was also keeping a Benaras silk sari that was given to her for valaikappu. She made her daughter and myself wear the sari on our valaikappu day.
    Even toys got a sentimental value for lot of people. The list goes on and on. What are the things that are occupying space in your house for sentimental value? Please be careful not to show your anti sentimentalism for those who belive in sentimentalism.
    I hope there will be lot of jokes to share on sentimentalism from our ILites. I am waiting to hear from you!
    Love,
    Pushpavalli

2. mithili

mithili New IL'ite

sentiments are there as long as the fire in the passions persists...after tht it has no value....

3. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

hi pushpa ji.
    nice topic.i proudly claim that im a sentimentalist.
    i have been keeping many things that i really cherish and have sentimental value for them.
    e.g. my wrap-around blanket which used for me when i was a newborn :mrgreen: and a little pink jacket (though i hate pink now) that i had used when i was a toddler. these are the two things which i find significantly sentimental.i've got more on the list, but i do not want to bore all of you.:tongue

cheers

4. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Pushpa,
    I am a sentimentalist too. Any my husband is even more. Let me share with you his most sentimental thing. His favourite number is 5 and his lucky number is 9. He got two 5 rupee notes and on checking the numbers of the notes he found that the last digit is 9. He kept one in his purse and gave me one and told me to keep it separate and not to spend it at any cost.

I have lots of items in the list for me personally. But as it is a very long list I will give you just two.

1. My parents gifted me with four boxes and when put together they form a double cot. Though my husband's job is transferrable I wanted to keep it. (It is useful to store many things though)

2. There were two ornamental side pieces given by my MIL and though my husband had wanted to dispose them off I am dead against that.

5. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Pushpaji,
    Good topic. I was a sentimentalist before. Now I am not, except anything related to God. My MIL wanted me to give all the pictures of Gods and Goddesses (which my MIL and my DH bought for our pooja room) to my SIL, but I did not give due to my sentiments. I thought something bad will happen if I give the pictures to my SIL because I used to do pooja everyday.