Are women partially responsible for maintaining male dominance in our society ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Romantic2014, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Romantic2014

Romantic2014 Bronze IL'ite

Many educated women complain about male dominance in our society. According to them , females are doing exactly the same kind of work that men do, but only mens words are heeded and women are asked to go by that.

My question is , if it is so, are not women partially responsible for that? In my experience, there is a clear divide in women , age-wise , on this issue. While older women like male dominance and sort of pursuade younger women to be obedient to men irrespective of whether the men are right or wrong, the younger women won't accept that heartily and tend to challenge male superiority. The older women insist on rituals which effectively means subjugation of women. Wives are asked to touch feet of husbands , attend their needs , comfort them even though the wives are going out everyday for earning. For the housewives, the prescriptions are little harder. They are taught to be attendant , maid , companion, secretary , record keeper, bursar of the husband, practice all ritual holding aloft the value .............husband is God (Pati Parameswara).

But, younger women, though o not agree with older women on such old values, and give a fight to some extent and but ultimately succumb to the united and orchestrated social pressure. In order to bring peace, they obey the older women . And such younger women, in their middle ages, start believing in male superiority or dominance,.The resultant position is, male domination is never confronted because of majority of women like it.

Do you buy my view?

2. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Yes over all what you say is true. Maybe due to our biological issue make us be this way. and that is the reason sometimes I hate to be a woman.

sindmani likes this.
  3. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Hard truth and indigestible!There are moments (crucial and point of big decisions in life) have fought so much but given in due to the crying and "reminding" values by mom.The difficult part is you give in (though you are 100% right)and it turns out to be a irreversible disaster later while all those people who "reminded" you of values become just mute spectators.

sindmani likes this.
  4. indubalram

In this present society is it possible for woman to live alone. Without anybody, no parents support, no husband, no kid. Nothing just you ! can we?thinkingsmiley

5. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

One thing I have been wondering about that is partially related to this issue. In several occasions I have noticed that it is somehow considered "unmanly" for a man to do cooking or other household chores. My boss told us (we were a group of indian and non-indian colleagues) that his wife is travelling a lot so he has to take care of the children during weekdays. Someone asked that do you cook for the family. My boss was a little bit offended (as he consider himself a good cook and very interesting in cooking) and said that of course. All the indian colleagues started to laugh. I arranged a potluck party and we had agreed that everyone will participate in cleaning up the kitchen afterwards. I got upset when noticed that all the guys escaped to the balcony and the women cleaned the kitchen. I forced the guys inside and told them to clean up. My female colleagues laughed and refused to let the guys into the kitchen.

Gender roles are most probably very tied to the age.

6. Romantic2014

Romantic2014 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks friend for such a precise reaction speaking out your mind. My next question to you .......... what is more important to the parents when they impose their view on their daughter ..................... society or the daughter wishes or aspiration? Don't they believe their daughters or have confidence? Do women need unrelated men to champion their causes?

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Well, if it wasn't possible, I would be a goner. I have only cousins for family and they live far away and many are elderly. No husband, children, siblings, nieces or nephews. But you know we make a life in other ways and my younger friends are so kind to share their kids with me. You make a new type of family.

7 people like this.
  8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I just have to interject: I know a good number of South Asian men (Indian, Tibetan, Sri Lankan) who are good cooks, clean, help out. These are guys who were raised well into adulthood in S Asia and emigrated here. They have embraced new ways of being. For men also, traditional roles can be very restrictive.

5 people like this.
  9. indubalram

They are worried about daughters safety. They do think of our aspirations at the same time being safe and happy.Aspirations but not at the cost of family values. Husband wife understand each other, to gether, daughter going for job to keep herself occupied after having done her household work then its good.

10. indubalram

How long are you planning to go on this way. I really appreciate you for being alone and independent. What will happen as you grow older?